Gorges overpaid?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
15-points per 82-games as a Hab. Thanks.

Oh I didn't realize we discarded stats that didn't involve his time in Montreal, when we were talking abut 'career stats' .... whatever makes your point more valid I guess...

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
You people do know that a dman's first job is to defend right? Offense is secondary and there are other dman for that. You need both offensive and defensive dman on a team if you don't want to look like a team that scores 4 goals but gives up 5.

Gorges is the best shotblocker in the nhl, is a rubber man that cannot be injured can play well along the boards and can be used 20 + minutes without a problem.

If Gorges was available tomorrow there would be 29 teams knocking on the door to get him and i doubt it's 4 millions that would stop them to get him.

Players like Alzner, Smid, Polak, Gorges and i'm passing some are very valuable to their team and there is a reason for that.

You don't trade players like that.

Habcentric

Jan 24, 2013
Do you remember a few years ago ( 3 or 4 ) when josh took a nasty hit and was wobbly getting up. He could barely stand up and had that vacant look in his face and was helped to the dressing room. He came out the next period and played.... That is pure warrior if you asked me ( i tried to find the youtube video for it but cant ).

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
He is probably slightly overpaid, but he's the kind of guy that deserves it. If that makes any sense.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Do you remember a few years ago ( 3 or 4 ) when josh took a nasty hit and was wobbly getting up. He could barely stand up and had that vacant look in his face and was helped to the dressing room. He came out the next period and played.... That is pure warrior if you asked me ( i tried to find the youtube video for it but cant ).

Big deal, Koivu came back from cancer.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You people do know that a dman's first job is to defend right? Offense is secondary and there are other dman for that. You need both offensive and defensive dman on a team if you don't want to look like a team that scores 4 goals but gives up 5.

Gorges is the best shotblocker in the nhl, is a rubber man that cannot be injured can play well along the boards and can be used 20 + minutes without a problem.

If Gorges was available tomorrow there would be 29 teams knocking on the door to get him and i doubt it's 4 millions that would stop them to get him.

Players like Alzner, Smid, Polak, Gorges and i'm passing some are very valuable to their team and there is a reason for that.

You don't trade players like that.

He missed more than half a season with an ACL tear (same injury as Markov).

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Do you think Josh Gorges is overpaid? He has a 6 years contract at almost 4M per year(3.9 to be exact). I know he brings a lot of leadership and he plays well defensively but is it worth the money? I don't think he is the type of guy that will get better with age... I will not be suprised that we want to get ride of him at the end of his contract because of his cap hit.

Players with similar contract: http://capgeek.com/comparables/?season=2012&player=83

I think the problem was that we signed him when he was playing at his best. Normally I think he should had have 3.5M/5 years.

What is your opinion on this? Agree or not?[/QU
]

overpaid??do you watch the games or do you watch the leafs?wosrt thread.definite troll.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Yes, point taken, dumb comment. I know he's not a PP guy but I guess what I was trying to say is that he is not good offensively. At all.:laugh:

Which is OK for a #4 Dman, but he has to be one of the best paid #4 D in the league? So what else does he offer besides blocking shots? He does not add toughness, he can't fight, he's not necessarily a crease clearer, and he can't provide offense. So why is his value to the Habs so high? Is a comparable to him Jason Smith or Adam Foote?

I honestly don't know, I know that he is highly regarded around here but I don't know why. I don't know the game (outside of the goaltending position) that well, so there are nuances that I don't pick up.

The nuances are where his real worth lies.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
He missed more than half a season with an ACL tear (same injury as Markov).

Yeah but how many times did he return from injury? Remember the time he got slapped in the back of the head and returned in the 3rd period?

He's a warrior.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Why is this narrative of him being the highest paid defensive D-man keep getting expressed? Anton Volchenkov makes $4.25M with the same role.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
A bit highly paid but affordable. I'll be glad to see Kaberle's and Gomez's contracts come off the books.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
yes jorgy is overrated and overpaid, when he has the puck in offensive zone he has no idea what he's doing, most of the time throwing it in the corner like killing a penalty. his puck skills are lacking and he can't fight. Emelin does the same thing but is smarter with the puck and hits. Gorgy should be around $2-3 mil not $3.9 mil. there i said it.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
yes jorgy is overrated and overpaid, when he has the puck in offensive zone he has no idea what he's doing, most of the time throwing it in the corner like killing a penalty. his puck skills are lacking and he can't fight. Emelin does the same thing but is smarter with the puck and hits. Gorgy should be around $2-3 mil not $3.9 mil. there i said it.

lol.you obviously know very little about the game or you are 10 years old.gorges is an excellent defensive defenseman.his job is to keep the puck out of our net and he does a great job of it.he aint there to score or fight either bro. if you actually watched the game a little you would realize defense wins and theres no way a team will compete for anything without a top notch shut down d man.and saying he should be in the 2-3 mil range is even more absurd,you do know the average salary this year is 2.45 mil ?josh gorges is above average .

Habtchum*

Gorges got leadership qualities that Emelin could just dream of.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009

Emelin is not as good defensively as Josh. Not even close. Emelin can hit better. But in front of the net and man to man, Joshy is way better. That being said, who these days isn't overpaid? I would say he's worth 3.25-3.5 given how crazy the owners have been with contracts lately. 45-50 point guys are getting like 5m.

habscup*

You can't find it because it never happened.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Then what do you know about his leadership? He got an "A" on his jersey, AFAIK, its not the fans that votes for the assistant-captain. So there's that, he's being recognize for his leadership by the management and teammates that's why he has an "A" on his jersey. He's just as vocal on the ice or in the dressing room and is not scared talking to the media. He's a warrior on the ice and always gives his best shifts after shifts. He's not shy to drop gloves to defend a teammates even if he sucks at fighting. How dare you say his leadership is overblown? What more do you want him to do? And we are just talking about the "A" captain here.

Kovalev had an A on his jersey as well, what's your point?

So...he's a leader because he works hard, blocks shots, and fights? :laugh:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Josh Gorges: top pairing defensive defenceman. League leading shot blocker. Top level positioning. Overpaid at $3.9M. I guess if he was 6'6" and sacrificed defensive intelligence for punching people he'd be paid just right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad