News Article: Gorges excited for future in Buffalo

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Murray got ripped. Gorges couldn't net a 7th rounder right now let alone the 2nd Murray gave up.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I don't think anyone hates Gorges. I'm not a big fan, but I know you need solid defenders, block shots, leader types. It's just very likely that he's done, and Murray got hosed for a guy Montreal knew was slipping.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't think anyone hates Gorges. I'm not a big fan, but I know you need solid defenders, block shots, leader types. It's just very likely that he's done, and Murray got hosed for a guy Montreal knew was slipping.

I think his slip last year was more directly related to his knee injury than anything else.....and Montreal couldn't have predicted that to happen.

I'll be VERY impressed if he performs at his early-season level again.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Given the micro-fracture return rate of basketball players I was pessimistic on a Gorges return however I will give him the benefit of the doubt that the surgery was a success, he hasn't had issues skating and part (or a major part) of his decline was due to his deteriorating knee. No complaints if he's healthy although it would further muddle the D situation. It would be fine if he sees less ice team for the remainder of his contract. Quality minutes from him are more valuable than quantity.

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I think his slip last year was more directly related to his knee injury than anything else.....and Montreal couldn't have predicted that to happen.

I think he's old and just can't survive 20+ mins a night. I hope they dial the minutes back and let some of the younger players have it. Save Gorges for third periods and special teams.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think he's old and just can't survive 20+ mins a night. I hope they dial the minutes back and let some of the younger players have it. Save Gorges for third periods and special teams.

Special teams? PK, maybe, but I'd go Risto, Bogo, Pysyk, and possibly McCabe before I went Gorges on the PP.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo

Microfracture surgery is done due to cartilage injuries, which happen over time. I don't know if Montreal knew his condition exactly, he had knee issues before, but I suspect they knew something was wrong. Trading Gorges like they did was suspicious as it was.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
https://aclrepairblog.wordpress.com/tag/injuries/
Montreal Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges played on a knee with a torn ACL for over eight years. After originally injuring his knee back in junior with the Kelowna Rocket in 2002, Gorges played hundreds of games with an ACL knee brace until finally being forced to get a reconstruction after tearing his meniscus earlier in the Habs 2010-2011 season.

Microfracture surgery in addition to his history, keeping my expectations very low.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Special teams? PK, maybe, but I'd go Risto, Bogo, Pysyk, and possibly McCabe before I went Gorges on the PP.

Agreed, but at the same time if Gorges ended on the PP2 I'm not calling for anyone's head. TBH there's 1 or 2 forwards I'd try on the point before I thought Gorges was the best available.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I don't think people realize how incredibly difficult it would be to play (and pretty well mind you) with a torn ACL.... Definitely explains why his miniscus was so shot he needed micro surgery.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The 31-year-old is healthy after microfracture surgery and has no restrictions on his knee, other than those he’s placed on himself. He’s changed his fitness routine to eliminate jumping and activities that grind on his knee.

“With the surgery I had, there’s just no need for it anymore,†Gorges said. “Every time you do a little bit more like that, it’s just harder and harder on your body. Not that I’m super old, but I’m starting to get up there. The most important thing is what you can do on the ice, and as long as I can do everything on the ice, then I’m good.â€

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/09/08/sabres-gorges-plans-to-change-how-he-serves-as-a-leader/

Sounds like a clean bill of health and he'll be 100% for start of camp and season.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I think the Carlo and Donovan signings were a Plan B in case Gorges couldn't return however if he is 100% then it's a log jam for D spots 4-7. Hopefully it's not all smoke and mirrors and he is truly recovered and ready to go.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Carlo and Donovan signings were a Plan B in case Gorges couldn't return however if he is 100% then it's a log jam for D spots 4-7. Hopefully it's not all smoke and mirrors and he is truly recovered and ready to go.

Donovan was the logical veteran replacement for Bagnall in Rochester IMO - someone who could steady the defense there and be insurance for injuries. I doubt he sees any time in Buffalo beyond injury call-ups.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Gorges said on HH that Zubrus was the only other NHL'er he knew that had microfracture surgery (and that was like eight years ago).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad