Gordon vs Grebeshkov

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerman

Mar 5, 2004
With the 16th pick in the 2002 NHL Draft, the Washington Capitals select Boyd Gordon. :huh: Grebeshkov went the pick after at 17. My question is should the caps have picked grebeshkov there. I know looking back on it now it is easy to say grebeshkov because of our need for D prospects over O prospects. :teach: It has been bothering me ever since I read a writeup about greb doing well.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
beerman said:
With the 16th pick in the 2001 NHL Draft, the Washington Capitals select Boyd Gordon. :huh: Grebeshkov went the pick after at 17. My question is should the caps have picked grebeshkov there. I know looking back on it now it is easy to say grebeshkov because of our need for D prospects over O prospects. :teach: It has been bothering me ever since I read a writeup about greb doing well.

Gordon is solid, and remember we used our first two picks in that draft on Steve Eminger and Alex Semin. McPhee was looking to round out the prospect ranks.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
beerman said:
With the 16th pick in the 2001 NHL Draft, the Washington Capitals select Boyd Gordon. :huh: Grebeshkov went the pick after at 17. My question is should the caps have picked grebeshkov there. I know looking back on it now it is easy to say grebeshkov because of our need for D prospects over O prospects. :teach: It has been bothering me ever since I read a writeup about greb doing well.

Hindsight is 20/20 man.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i'd be happy with either... you can't fault the caps now for picking a player back then when the prospect expectancy/depth etc... has changed so much, as well as their nhl roster..

gordon is a solid pick, and is the type of player that later on in their careers people talk about them being 'guys you win with'... very solid young player

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Gordon is a solid player, but Grebeshkov is superior. That pretty closely tracks with the draft day writeup on the two players, too. The Capitals' depth chart on defense was just as shaky in terms of thin prospect depth and aging veterans, if not worse, in June 2002 as it is today.

I thought it a mistake at the time. They had a lot of picks and it was their third of the day, so McPhee threw Ross Mahoney a pick. True to form, the Caps' chief scout took a rugged WHL kid. Happens every year with that staff. Now again, it was their third pick, and they had already taken a small, skilled offensive player in Semin, and a two-way defenseman in Eminger, so maybe a big WHL forward was thought to be good for balance... I like the job McPhee has done in certain areas, and I like a farm heavy on WHL picks, but that particular pick was a head scratcher at the time and remains so today. I say that liking Gordon just fine, but less than some others who were still up on the board, which also included Babchuk and Steen.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Or perhaps they could have gotten lucky and had Taticek or Nystrom drop a bit and fall in their lap...or they could have snatched up Kories...as one poster already said, hindsight is 20/20 and Gordon is a solid prospect. It could just as easily have gone the other way in getting a worse prospect than a better one.

Of course, it's always fun to go back and look at who would have been the 'ideal' player to take at that position. Ottawa too could have Grebeshkov with their pick, which was just before Washington (they took Klepis, who was trade for Varada).

My favorite for Ottawa was in 1998 when they took Mathieu Chouinard with the 16th pick ahead of Regehr, Gagne, Fischer, Kalinen and Gomez. And then they took him again two years later in the 2nd round just ahead of Stoll. Double ouch.

Can't hear that guys name without grimacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->