Signing(s): Gordon Hayward signs with the Hornets (4 years, $120 million)

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Report: Hornets stretching Nicolas Batum to sign Gordon Hayward

Batum will count $9,043,478 against Charlotte’s cap each of the next four years. That’s a high price to pay Hayward a high price.
Effectively, that means the Hornets are devoting about $38 million of cap space to Hayward each of the next three years.
At least Charlotte will get a break in year four, when Batum’s cap hit is off the books and Hayward is due just about $32 million at age 33

They could have just let the Batum contract run out but nah, that's too easy. Gotta make things complicated in order for MJ to try and "show-up" Jerry Krause, who isn't even alive to see this anyway.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is insane. I figured Hayward had a 4 year, ~$90M deal lined up when he opted out but the Hornets went way above that. Worst deal of the offseason so far because of the money, Hornets needing to continue rebuilding, and them having to stretch Batum’s expiring contract.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Hayward is a player who should probably be only the 3rd or 4th best player on a championship-calibre team. And that is only if you also have 2 elite/all-star calibre players on your team.

Yet he is getting paid more than Tom Brady has ever been paid. He is getting paid as much as many other elite quarterbacks are paid in the NFL.

He is getting paid approximately 2.5 times more than Connor McDavid, and almost as much as Mike Trout.

The economics and salary structure of the NBA is very messed-up.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They got a real einstein in charlotte working the cap

They give Batum $120 million........................ regret it almost instantly

this contract is giving me those same vibes.

Heyward is a far better player that Batum ever was, but that contract is still ugly.

Maybe the trio of LaMelo, Graham and Heyward is enough to get them a playoff spot and make the Hornets not a total joke for a change.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I'm new to basketball and even I'm wondering how the F a guy who comes of the bench makes that kind of money.

Basketball money is off the charts insane
$100 million contracts are given out like nothing now, and the term isnt even long.

A few years ago the NBA raised the salary cap by a insane amount in one off-season because of a TV deal.
they were giving out stupid money to like reserve players on the bench.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm new to basketball and even I'm wondering how the F a guy who comes of the bench makes that kind of money.

The cap jumped in 2016 to help make this possible.

I myself am still waiting on that 4 yr/$64 million deal from whoever. I can chuck 3's like no one else and hey if the Rockets can miss 27 3's in a game 7 and get paid for it, why can't I? :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad