News Article: Gordie Howe dies, RIP

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Very sad, RIP.

I hope his story late in life can be used for a push for more stem cell research. His recovery post-stroke a few years back was miraculous. If anyone hasn't read about it, search it out. Its incredible.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Normally, we would not allow this as a separate thread, but Gordie Howe, simply put, was the face of this sport and the greatest player in the game for decades.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
What a horrible year for sports icons and musicians it has been.

RIP Mr. Hockey :(

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
If he was a Ranger, he'd have been a 20 goal scorer.

What a phenomenal hockey player. RIP Mr. Hockey

On top of all he did, he also had a cameo appearance on The Simpsons. That's how you know you have made it

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I met Gordie Howe at a hockey camp when I was a kid. He was supposed to talk for an hour but ended up staying for 3 hours and watched us eat pizza.

What I'll always remember is the faces of all the camp Dads when Gordie Howe showed up. It wasn't us kids that cared, I mean we did care but none of us really knew what Gordie Howe meant to the sport. The Fathers of all the boys just stared at Mr. Howe as he got out of his town car and walked in the rink. It was so silent when he walked in our dressing area, I can still hear the lights buzzing. He shook all our hands and to this day I can still feel his grip. Imagine shaking hands with a vice-grip. Before he shook our hands he said something like "Go easy on me boys I'm turning 60 this year and I'm thinking about making a comeback" Little did we know we were about to have our hands crushed by his handshake.

Some moments in life you just want to forget but others you want to visit again. Meeting Gordie Howe and how perfect that day was is a place I'd like to visit again. Maybe in the next life. RIP Mr. Hockey.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I met Gordie Howe at a hockey camp when I was a kid. He was supposed to talk for an hour but ended up staying for 3 hours and watched us eat pizza.

What I'll always remember is the faces of all the camp Dads when Gordie Howe showed up. It wasn't us kids that cared, I mean we did care but none of us really knew what Gordie Howe meant to the sport. The Fathers of all the boys just stared at Mr. Howe as he got out of his town car and walked in the rink. It was so silent when he walked in our dressing area, I can still hear the lights buzzing. He shook all our hands and to this day I can still feel his grip. Imagine shaking hands with a vice-grip. Before he shook our hands he said something like "Go easy on me boys I'm turning 60 this year and I'm thinking about making a comeback" Little did we know we were about to have our hands crushed by his handshake.

Some moments in life you just want to forget but others you want to visit again. Meeting Gordie Howe and how perfect that day was is a place I'd like to visit again. Maybe in the next life. RIP Mr. Hockey.

Great story, and awesome memory. :yo:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
no article no link this is closest
I heard it on MSNBC tv, about 9:30 am today

one of the greats, tried out w/NYR, I believe, he got away.... :cry:

on the other hand, at the time, who knew:amazed:

RIP

The story I heard was he showed up at a Rangers training camp as a kid--didn't know how to put on some pads that he never used before--got laughed at by the other players and shortly thereafter left camp and then the Red Wings signed him.

Anyway one of the top 10 ice hockey players ever. I can actually say that I saw him play (on TV that is) a number of times.

A lot of people also don't realize that even as great as he was---he was one of the toughest and nastiest (sometimes even flat out dirty) players to ever play in the NHL. He especially liked to go after kids coming into the league. A one man welcoming committee of you just got an elbow to your jaw and now you're seeing stars---welcome to the league rook!

But the game was a lot different back then.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Mr. Howe's death has left a void in this sport that I'm not sure will ever be filled. He didn't just play hockey...he helped to define it! Gordon Howe, you will be greatly missed, and never forgotten.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Awesome. Thanks tor sharing this. I've heard from so many people the same type of story. Loved meeting kids. True gentleman off the ice etc.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
I remember how he never took a backhanded shot as he was ambidextrous. He was an iconic athlete. I remember watching him on TV in the 60's and nobody, and I mean nobody f'd with him. He was a special player like Gretzky was later on. RIP Gord.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Normally, we would not allow this as a separate thread, but Gordie Howe, simply put, was the face of this sport and the greatest player in the game for decades.

Megustaelhockey, not to bust chops, just asking, do we have a thread in case any NHL player moves on? Whether entire NHL or just our Rangers? Not seeing a necrology/in memoriam/or similar. And I assume we do not have/entertain similar thread for members who have passed on either. It's like, you hear from them every day. EVERY DAY. And then suddenly.....

like a pin drops.

The story I heard was he showed up at a Rangers training camp as a kid--didn't know how to put on some pads that he never used before--got laughed at by the other players and shortly thereafter left camp and then the Red Wings signed him.

Anyway one of the top 10 ice hockey players ever. I can actually say that I saw him play (on TV that is) a number of times.

A lot of people also don't realize that even as great as he was---he was one of the toughest and nastiest (sometimes even flat out dirty) players to ever play in the NHL. He especially liked to go after kids coming into the league. A one man welcoming committee of you just got an elbow to your jaw and now you're seeing stars---welcome to the league rook!

But the game was a lot different back then.

Thanks for the amplification, EB.
I barely go back to original six when I started watching, so I too try to remember some of those names from yesteryear, and not forget...
Howe
Hull
Mikita
Orr
Berenson
Horton
just to name a few.

Along w/of course
the Rangers of the late 60s early 70s
the rocks of that team: Ratelle Gilbert Hadfield Tkazcuk Park etc
and the ones that got away, Goyette, etc.

thanks for the trip down memory lane.

*Bob Richards*

The man was excellent for seemingly forever :laugh:

Rest easy, Mr. Howe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->