OT: Gooooooal!! The Association Football Thread #124 - USMNT, PL, MLS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
so what if the guy who is off is on the other side of the field?

A defender would probably say stay onsides. Whistle it all dead. :lol:

I’d say the play should be whistled dead if the player could have played the ball from an offside position. The offense should stay onside and not feed a ball to where an offside player could play it.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
A defender would probably say stay onsides. Whistle it all dead. :lol:

I’d say the play should be whistled dead if the player could have played the ball from an offside position. The offense should stay onside and not feed a ball to where an offside player could play it.

interesting. ill be watching again this year. MLS my not be the best league but i get enough EPL and other league games to be happy.

ill watch MLS but the level of play in other leagues is just so far above.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I think a defender would say the part that is unfair is that the attacker knows if he is going to try and play the ball while the defender has no idea.

Even if the attacker is offside, refs screw up not infrequently, so he may choose to play the ball, be offside, and the call is just missed.

So it can be really hard on the defender to judge what’s going on with the attacker in an illegal position. The defender is going to say it’s unfair to allow a player to be in an illegal position on the field but by his illegal positioning make the defenders job more difficult. The defender will say he should just stay onsides or be whistled as offsides.

this was the consensus with the vast majority when the rule was amended in the league i played in at the time, a bunch of other guys from other teams felt the same

…….personally i feel it ruined and hindered solid defensive team strategies.

a back 4 that exploited and worked together was rendered to the mercy of a linesman's discresion as to if the attacking player was involved…...

as bad at the trapazoid rule

all in the name of goals! for the lowest common denominator idiot fan that has never kicked a f***ing ball

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
this was the consensus with the vast majority when the rule was amended in the league i played in at the time, a bunch of other guys from other teams felt the same

…….personally i feel it ruined and hindered solid defensive team strategies.

a back 4 that exploited and worked together was rendered to the mercy of a linesman's discresion as to if the attacking player was involved…...

as bad at the trapazoid rule

all in the name of goals! for the lowest common denominator idiot fan that has never kicked a ****ing ball

hey! i resemble that remark! i mean resent...... :laugh:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
interesting. ill be watching again this year. MLS my not be the best league but i get enough EPL and other league games to be happy.

ill watch MLS but the level of play in other leagues is just so far above.

Go to a Red Bulls game and experience it live, I support them cause they have always been my local team. The league keeps growing and growing and personally I have 0 interest in the EPL or any other league because I have no ties to it.

Reactions: sabremike

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I was a devoted NY/NJ Metrostars fan, but after I left for college the team transformed itself into the NY Red Bulls, and I've never been able to get over (1) the dropping of the NJ part of the name, or (2) the turning the team name into a literal advertisement.

I pretty much abandoned MLS after that until I moved to Columbus, and I've been a pretty devoted Crew fan for the last six or seven years (Higuain and I came to town at about the same time). If MLS kills the Crew I'll be done with the league for real, this time.
I don’t blame you for blowing off MLS if the Crew move. What Garber has allowed to happen is a travesty.

Reactions: New Jersey

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I was a devoted NY/NJ Metrostars fan, but after I left for college the team transformed itself into the NY Red Bulls, and I've never been able to get over (1) the dropping of the NJ part of the name,

The MetroStars dropped the NJ part in (I think) 2002. The soda people weren't the ones who did that.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Within the last 24 hours, Devils embarrassed Rangers, Vaxjo Lakers went 2-0 up in the SHL semifinals and now Liverpool 3-0 against ManCity in CL. Unreal.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
3-1 win tonight for our boys despite the 70%-ish Chivas crowd. Chivas did not impress me at all in the home leg. Someone tell me tha Chivas has a better roster than NYRB.

DickThunder

Mar 13, 2012
Rovaniemi, Finland
Great CL results indeed. Always been a Liverpool fan and also very glad Barca lost. Anyone know who is this Coutinho everyone's talking about? Some scrub not even getting to UCL Semis? :sarcasm:

Also didn't know Patty is a Liverpool fan:
5ND6Ixn.jpg

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
so is concacaf champions league a nothing tourney?

wouldve loved to watch tonight but i guess not. guess the redbulls are out.

still searching for the other game but i dont want to go to shady sites.

Edit:nevermind found a choppy feed on univision deportes. and toronto scores. nice. if they want to grow the game it should prolly be on tv tho

Last edited:

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
As long as the UCL is on basic cable and the CONCACAF CL is strictly on Deportes or premium channels the latter will never be popular and MLS clubs will continue focusing on the one-league franchise model already found across our professional sports industry.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Typical NYRB in a "playoff" home leg. Relentless pressure, have the other squad hemmed in their half, shots 20-1, and don't come through. It's getting really old.

On the bright side, Tyler Adams is a stud.

Chivas was thoroughly unimpressive and I expect Toronto to win.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Honestly F Chivas and their fans.

Their keeper got a yellow for time wasting HALFWAY THROUGH THE FIRST HALF then had a defender waste time taking goal kicks so as to not get a second yellow. I have never seen that before. The injury faking and diving was out of control. Chivas fans should be ashamed of themselves. They were throwing stuff from the second deck down onto RB fans last night... then a huge group of them showed up outside the South Ward after the game to start fights. Security was completely overwhelmed and it was a mess. What a joke. I hate Toronto FC..... but I am 100% in on them for winning this tournament. F Chivas.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Honestly F Chivas and their fans.

Their keeper got a yellow for time wasting HALFWAY THROUGH THE FIRST HALF then had a defender waste time taking goal kicks so as to not get a second yellow. I have never seen that before. The injury faking and diving was out of control.

This is also the sort of stuff demonstrating pretty much why soccer's never taken off in America.

To be fair, this one's an easy fix if refs just cracked down on diving, injury faking, and time-wasting by handing out yellow-cards like candy, yet for some reason the soccer league that does this doesn't exist yet.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Chivas fans showed up in the South Ward after the game... a VA member got sucker punched. They should be nowhere near these sections... but again RBA security has no idea how to do their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad