Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Half the Population: Google + still existed?
Other Half of the Population: Oh, so is that dumb circle thing in Gmail that I accidentally click on sometimes going away?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I didn't even realize that Google+ was still a thing. I don't know how or why Google ever managed to dupe themselves into thinking that G+ would actually rival Facebook.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Serious question, the f*** is Google +? I just Googled it and didn't really come up with much. It's a social network I gather?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Half the Population: Google + still existed?
Other Half of the Population: Oh, so is that dumb circle thing in Gmail that I accidentally click on sometimes going away?

And according to the article, that’s 9/10ths of their user base

“adding that “90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than five seconds.””

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I didn't even realize that Google+ was still a thing. I don't know how or why Google ever managed to dupe themselves into thinking that G+ would actually rival Facebook.

Reading the back stories on its development is interesting. Short version is that a bunch of execs were worried about losing ad money to Facebook and decided to start their own social network. They set an arbitrary deadline and made the developers rush it into release. Developers themselves thought it was going to fail miserably.

I do recall a number of friends proudly declaring that they were leaving Facebook for G+, especially when it was invitation only at the beginning. I had a fun time bumping those messages when the news broke.

I only had one friend who'd regularly posted on G+, probably because her husband was one of the developers.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad