Goodenow Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
hockeytown9321 said:

what a lame statement.

Its 1-0 Bettman right now. Bettman released statements and quotes, Goodenow didnt even refute ANY of the comments bettman made, and instead just repeated earlier statements [ironically which is what the NHL accuses the NHLPA of doing with its 2 proposals].

Bettman gets an almost nationally televised Presser, Goddenow releases a rehashed statement on its website....... geesh

Oil_slick9416*

Well, Goodenow apparently will speak live around 4 pm EST according steve koulas of the score, i guess we will have to wait and see what happens next.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
IMO regardless of which side you support it is hard to argue that the NHL does a much better job with their press releases/press conferences than the NHLPA. The NHLPA might want to consider spending a little of their war chest on a top notch speech writer and image consultant.

Oil_slick9416*

oh yah, i mean that goodenow statement almost sliped through the cracks. they do need better speach writters, i agree 100%

Castor Troy

Sep 25, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
jpsharkfan said:
IMO regardless of which side you support it is hard to argue that the NHL does a much better job with their press releases/press conferences than the NHLPA. The NHLPA might want to consider spending a little of their war chest on a top notch speech writer and image consultant.

Exactly. IMO the NHL is saying all the right things, and is playing the NHLPA's cards before the NHLPA can do so. After watching all of Bettman's conference, and this is coming from a guy who absolutely despises Gary Bettman, I'm a lot more convinced that the owners know what they are doing. For right or wrong, they seem to be at the stage where they admit mistakes and are looking to the future. The NHLPA, however, has yet to give me that impression. They refuse to deal with the details of this dispute and instead sit there and regurgitate their "no salary cap" ideal over and over.

The NHL has continually addressed in the media and to the fans exactly what their views are and then they showed us the numbers and figures to back it up. Whether you believe the numbers or not is another thing, but I ask where are the players numbers to refute these claims? I haven't seen one verifiable claim coming out of the players. Instead, they have simply said that they want a free market, which means no salary cap. Again, I'm not trying to argue which side is in the right, I'm just saying from where I sit, the NHL has done a MUCH better job of presenting their position.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
Castor Troy said:
Exactly. IMO the NHL is saying all the right things, and is playing the NHLPA's cards before the NHLPA can do so. After watching all of Bettman's conference, and this is coming from a guy who absolutely despises Gary Bettman, I'm a lot more convinced that the owners know what they are doing. For right or wrong, they seem to be at the stage where they admit mistakes and are looking to the future. The NHLPA, however, has yet to give me that impression. They refuse to deal with the details of this dispute and instead sit there and regurgitate their "no salary cap" ideal over and over.

The NHL has continually addressed in the media and to the fans exactly what their views are and then they showed us the numbers and figures to back it up. Whether you believe the numbers or not is another thing, but I ask where are the players numbers to refute these claims? I haven't seen one verifiable claim coming out of the players. Instead, they have simply said that they want a free market, which means no salary cap. Again, I'm not trying to argue which side is in the right, I'm just saying from where I sit, the NHL has done a MUCH better job of presenting their position.

Agree 100%. While I was watching Bettman's press conference I was hoping that many of the Players were also watching. I think it is important for the players to hear the reality as the NHL sees it. The NHL sells their position really well and makes the NHLPA look like a spoiled child. Many of the owners will loose less money if there is no hockey this year. The players will loose all their salary if there is no hockey. The NHL makes it clear that they have no choice but to shut down hockey until there is a new system. How many years income are the players willing to give up.

After a few years it wont matter because the league can call impass and start all over again without the NHLPA. The young up and coming kids from Juniors will think that a league average salary of $1.3 million is like mana from heaven(down from the current $1.8)

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=98794&hubName=nhl

Is this the Goodenow statement? It actually sounds pretty good. But I still understand how the owners need more assurance with salaries. It was the owner's idea to get Bettman in the first place. They wanted him for one reason: Salary Cap. That's all that I heard when he was first hired. He is going to do exactly that.

TORONTO - NHLPA Executive Director, Bob Goodenow released a statement following NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman's press conference:

"This is a disappointing day for NHL Players and fans. Gary Bettman's announcement that he and the owners have locked out the Players and are shutting down the game of hockey is simply the wrong way to address the issues we are facing. The Players have been prepared to compromise for a very long time and have proposed frameworks that should already have produced a deal that is fair for all. Unfortunately, the League has rejected all opportunities for compromise, while stubbornly insisting that Gary Bettman has the single solution to every problem - a salary cap."

Last edited by a moderator:

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Castor Troy said:

I think the NHLPA could have the best PR available and they still wouldn't have much support. Fans are sick of paying players millions of dollars, and rightfully so. Fans work hard for their money, and they have to spend too much of it to see a hockey game, only to be helping some guy live the easy life. I swear, if I was a player, I would sign for $3 million and give $2 million back to the team to help reduce ticket prices. The fans would love me forever. The fans are what it's all about anyway.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Licentia said:
I think the NHLPA could have the best PR available and they still wouldn't have much support. Fans are sick of paying players millions of dollars, and rightfully so. Fans work hard for their money, and they have to spend too much of it to see a hockey game, only to be helping some guy live the easy life. I swear, if I was a player, I would sign for $3 million and give $2 million back to the team to help reduce ticket prices. The fans would love me forever. The fans are what it's all about anyway.

So when payrolls go down under a cap, ticket prices will too, right? :shakehead

You have the impression the league is trying to get a cap for this noble competitive balance purpose(which is a faulty purpose anyway). They could care less about you or me. Mike Ilitch could care less if Edmonton ever wins another game. Edmonton's owner could care less if Detroit ever wins another game. Its about maximizing profits, nothing more.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Licentia said:
As said by Goodenow: An honest partnership can never be achieved under the League's 'my way or the highway' approach. Partnerships are built on respect, trust and willingness to compromise. Partnerships are not built through confrontation. Nonetheless, Gary and the Owners have chosen, through a lockout, to try to force Players to accept a system they know Players would never agree to.

The NHLPA considers themselves a 'partner' when it's convenient for them to do so... The NHLPA wants to go to the weddings, and skip the funerals... If the NHLPA wants to consider themselves a 'partner' - along with the benefits of a 'partnership', they should also share in the costs of a 'partnership'...

For franchises that lost a lot of money, as 'partners', the players on those team should share in paying for those losses - out of their own salaries... IF for franchises that made a lot of money, as 'partners', the players feel entitled to a share in the revenue generated...

Isn't that only fair for a 'partnership'? When revenue is generated, both partners share in that revenue? When expenses are incurred, both partners share in paying for those expenses?

Oh, but the NHLPA only wants to share in the revenue and profit- not the expenses and losses...

When talking about expenses and losses, the NHLPA all of a sudden becomes 'employees' - not 'partners' - and not responsible...

The NHLPA suffers from a role complex...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
X8oD said:
what a lame statement.

Its 1-0 Bettman right now. Bettman released statements and quotes, Goodenow didnt even refute ANY of the comments bettman made, and instead just repeated earlier statements [ironically which is what the NHL accuses the NHLPA of doing with its 2 proposals].

Bettman gets an almost nationally televised Presser, Goddenow releases a rehashed statement on its website....... geesh

How is it 1-0 Bettman? If you're talking about alienating the neogeotiating process and making absolutely no concessions whatsoever and telling the NHLPA to screw off, then I guess it is 1-0 Bettman in the eyes of the people that are brainwashed by the NHL's propaganda that "oh we're poor, we need a salary cap.

Wrong.

The owners think they need a salary cap because some teams can't keep their spending on player contracts under control and need the players to bail them out of their own mistakes. So if this is 'Bettman-1' then the NHLPA has a healthy lead.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
hockeytown9321 said:

You have the impression the league is trying to get a cap for this noble competitive balance purpose(which is a faulty purpose anyway). They could care less about you or me. Mike Ilitch could care less if Edmonton ever wins another game. Edmonton's owner could care less if Detroit ever wins another game. Its about maximizing profits, nothing more.

They might, because teams in the US are losing fans due to the high ticket prices, so the league might not have a choice. But I know it's not a guarantee.

Fans don't care if they pay $40 for a game instead of $80 now. Fans are still paying millionaires salaries, and don't like when the millionaires whine.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
How is it 1-0 Bettman? If you're talking about alienating the neogeotiating process and making absolutely no concessions whatsoever and telling the NHLPA to screw off, then I guess it is 1-0 Bettman in the eyes of the people that are brainwashed by the NHL's propaganda that "oh we're poor, we need a salary cap.

Wrong.

The owners think they need a salary cap because some teams can't keep their spending on player contracts under control and need the players to bail them out of their own mistakes. So if this is 'Bettman-1' then the NHLPA has a healthy lead.

Nobody thinks the NHL is poor. Who cares why the NHL wants a salary cap? At the end of the day - with a cap - the NHL will have 30 teams all able to compete with the same amount of money to spend on players. That's what counts.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
hockeytown9321 said:

Ticket prices are already coming down substantially in some markets. Buffalo, for instance...

The Sabres will reduce the cost of some season tickets 12-28%, with seats in the lower bowl of the HSBC Arena costing less than when the arena first opened in 1996.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres/2004-07-07-ticket-prices_x.htm

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
go kim johnsson said:

Wrong.

oh yes.. and the players made HUGE concessions.

The NHL isn't the one having to make concessions here, you forget that the players are fine and dandy with the NHL and the way it is right now. It's the owners that want the players to concede and the players have not been willing to do so. The NHL is not claiming that it is poor -- they're saying that they lose $300million year, that's not healthy for any business. This is not propaganda. Did you not read the Levitt report?

As for the cap, it's not only to stop the owners from making stupid signings as you say but also to put teams like Vancouver and Colorado on a level playin field. The Canadian dollar comes into play here as well. Even if Vancouver manages its money correctly and has a $45 million payroll, Colorado can easily afford 60-70 million. Meanwhile some teams can barely scrape up $20 million...

Go Flames Go*

Bob Goodnow is a peice of garbage that should be thrown out into the trash. He speaks nuthing but crap, a market place my ass. If it was a free market place, would player hold out and still be paid while there greedy ass wants more money. Contracts are gaurnteed, this guy seems like he has no education what a peice of garbage.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
This just in from the boardroom.

NHLPA: No Salary Cap

Gary Bettman: Salary cap

NHLPA: No Salary cap times a thousand

GB: Salary Cap Infiniti

NHLPA: Hey you cant do that

GB: Yes we can

NHLPA: well your ears are big

GB: Nuh uh

NHLPA: Yuh huh times a billion

GB: Nuh uh times infiniti

NHLPA: a billions more than infiniti

GB: No its not

(Meanwhile rink worker sells his car and moves in with his parents)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ArtG said:
oh yes.. and the players made HUGE concessions.

The NHL isn't the one having to make concessions here, you forget that the players are fine and dandy with the NHL and the way it is right now. It's the owners that want the players to concede and the players have not been willing to do so. The NHL is not claiming that it is poor -- they're saying that they lose $300million year, that's not healthy for any business. This is not propaganda. Did you not read the Levitt report?

As for the cap, it's not only to stop the owners from making stupid signings as you say but also to put teams like Vancouver and Colorado on a level playin field. The Canadian dollar comes into play here as well. Even if Vancouver manages its money correctly and has a $45 million payroll, Colorado can easily afford 60-70 million. Meanwhile some teams can barely scrape up $20 million...

I never said the players made HUGE concessions. I said they made some, should they make more? Yes. At some point will they make more? Yes, but not until the owners make some concessions, which right now stands at zero.

I read the Levitt report, and the only thing the Levitt report says is that the NHL lost a load of money. This isn't soley because of player salaries, it is also because of poor business decisions, terrible arena leases and not having a supportive fan base that generates income. Minnesota has a supportive fan base, thus they are arguably the healthiest franchise in the league.

How is Vancouver and Colorado not on a level playing field? Vancouver manages its money well. Vancouver is one of the model franchises in the league. Vancouver made between $20-25 million this past season. If Colorado can afford $60-70M on its payroll than more power to them, which brings in the luxury tax and revenue sharing.

So please tell me what exactly are the owners conceding thus far?

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
It seems to me that every time the NHLPA or one of the players open their mouths they just dig themselves deeper in a ditch.
The following is from an article from Yahoo news:``We're not closing our eyes to the financial problems the league has,'' LeClair said. ``We made many concessions, but the reality of the situation is, it's not our fault.

``We didn't create this problem.''

I would not accept that kind of answer from a 5 year old let alone a multi millionaire many times over. Its not my fault, I didnt do it!!! The players need to grow up and stop making those kind of statements to the press.

When you compare the above with quotes from Bettmans statement the players and the union look like fools. Here are a few quotes from Bettman:
We offered the union systems that would continue to pay multi-million dollar salaries to our star players. We will not apologize for contracts which could still be in excess of $6 million US per year, even if some players would make less than they are now getting.

We offered the union systems that would provide an average player salary of $1.3 million US per season. An average salary of $1.3 million may be less than the players are getting now, but we will not apologize for an average player salary of $1.3 million per season.

That said, we do apologize to our millions of fans and the thousands of people whose livelihoods depend on our game. It is truly unfortunate that we have to go through this. I assure you that no one is more unhappy about this situation than I am.

I won't even insist on $1.3 million, they can pay me $1.1 million, I won't ask the NHL to apologize; in fact I will thank them all the way to the bank :) :) . All us "normal people would feel like we won the lottery if we could earn anywhere near $1 mil a year.

Regardless of which side you back it is hard to argue that the league is doing a much better job with its PR.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
jpsharkfan said:
I won't even insist on $1.3 million, they can pay me $1.1 million, I won't ask the NHL to apologize; in fact I will thank them all the way to the bank :) :) . All us "normal people would feel like we won the lottery if we could earn anywhere near $1 mil a year.

Yep. I'll even take (and be happy with) $100,000 a year.

Please somebody, :help: the NHLPA to see the light :eek: :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad