Goodenough is full of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Goodenough is full of it... CBA Idea...

Goodenough always says that the players want to play but the owners are locking them out. He says that the players love playing and want to get playing for the fans again as soon as possible.

If that's the case, why doesn't the NHLPA approach Bettman and say that they are willing to play for free, or willing to play for minimum wage ($250,000 or whatever it is). That way the game goes on and they can work on the CBA while they are playing. I'm sure Bettman will be more than willing to do that because the league would bring in tons of revenue and have VERY little expense. But the players wouldn't do that. They say they want to get playing in front of the fans again and it's the owners that have locked them out, but if given that option to play for free or minimum wage while the CBA is being resolved I can guarantee you that the players would say no. Why? Because regardless of what propaganda they want to spout out there, in the end, it's all about the money. They are perfectly fine to keep playing under the current system while they work on the CBA, meanwhile raking in huge paycheques, but I'd bet that they aren't willing to keep playing if they aren't making so much money in the meantime.

The point is, the reason that the owners have locked the players out as opposed to allowing them to keep playing during negotiations, is that if the players keep playing and keep earning big paycheques, they will have absolutely no motivation to fairly negotiate a new deal. Instead they will just continue earning the big cheques until the owners eventually give in. Having a lockout allows the owners to have a bit of leverage to force the NHLPA to either negotiate and help them fix the problems or sit on the sidelines and wait.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
There's a big difference between really enjoying your job -- wanting to work and being willing to do it for free. There's nothing greedy about expecting fair compensation.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Excellent comeback. I wish Peter Mansbridge would have thought of that one. "Bob, would you agree to having your players play for $250,000 each while you hammer out an agreement with the NHL". Of course we all know he would back track on his statment that the owners are locking them out and that they are willing to play. Most players would likely say yes to this proposal but "What about Bob" wouldn't let them.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
eye said:
Excellent comeback. I wish Peter Mansbridge would have thought of that one. "Bob, would you agree to having your players play for $250,000 each while you hammer out an agreement with the NHL". Of course we all know he would back track on his statment that the owners are locking them out and that they are willing to play. Most players would likely say yes to this proposal but "What about Bob" wouldn't let them.
exactly my point... i would have loved to have seen him try to work his way out of that situation... :joker:

degroat*

ceber said:
There's a big difference between really enjoying your job -- wanting to work and being willing to do it for free. There's nothing greedy about expecting fair compensation.

Would 50% of the $2 Billion dollars the league generates in revenue going to 700 players count as "fair compensation"?

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Stich said:
Would 50% of the $2 Billion dollars the league generates in revenue going to 700 players count as "fair compensation"?

I agree... 50% is fair... the 75% they enjoy and want to maintain is ridiculous

what are the players afraid of? whats wrong with an average salary of $1.3 million instead of $1.8 million???

its not like they are going to be homeless

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Stich said:

Depends on costs. ;)

(I was just pointing out that I thought it unfair to expect the players to play for some very low salary, like 250k, because they "love to play.")

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ceber said:
Depends on costs. ;)

(I was just pointing out that I thought it unfair to expect the players to play for some very low salary, like 250k, because they "love to play.")

Sounded like a good idea. Bring them all back on $250-500K base for the year while they work on a deal. Put 50-55% ($250-500K already paid) of league revenue into a escrow fund and let the NHLPA divide it up amoungst the players at the end of the year. Every one wins and hopefully Bettman and Goodenow can sit down and talk it out.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
me2 said:
Sounded like a good idea. Bring them all back on $250-500K base for the year while they work on a deal. Put 50-55% ($250-500K already paid) of league revenue into a escrow fund and let the NHLPA divide it up amoungst the players at the end of the year. Every one wins and hopefully Bettman and Goodenow can sit down and talk it out.
sounds great to me... and it's not like any players would be hurting during that time... because in Europe now there are several players playing for free, and several playing for peanuts... well, if they are willing to do that there, why not do it here and show the fans around here some appreciation... that way, hockey goes on, public perception is not so bad, hockey is not being hurt in the already weak markets such as Nashville, and Bettman and Goodenough can work it out...

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
tgallant said:
sounds great to me... and it's not like any players would be hurting during that time... because in Europe now there are several players playing for free, and several playing for peanuts... well, if they are willing to do that there, why not do it here and show the fans around here some appreciation... that way, hockey goes on, public perception is not so bad, hockey is not being hurt in the already weak markets such as Nashville, and Bettman and Goodenough can work it out...

tony, dont be so naive. why should they play for free or even 250,000 anyhow ? they have signed contracts and if the owners want their services, they need to fulfill those obligations.

dr

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
DementedReality said:
tony, dont be so naive. why should they play for free or even 250,000 anyhow ? they have signed contracts and if the owners want their services, they need to fulfill those obligations.

dr
what's the difference? many of them are playing for free in Europe... why not play for free here and give something back to the fans for a change... it would be a GREAT move for them PR wise... plus, like I said, it would keep hockey on the map in the US (even if it's only a blip on the map in some places)... I doubt they'd play for free here, but $250,000 per year is more than many of them are making in Europe, so why not play for that here? as for the contracts, they are not active during a lockout... the contracts were signed under the CBA and in the absence of a CBA, the owners are not required to pay them... but if it kept hockey going by them playing for $250k each, then I'd bet the owners would agree...

My WHOLE point to all this when I created this thread was to point out that when Goodenough spouts his rhetoric about "it's the owners who are locking the players out, the players want to play" that he's completely full of it... The players want to play ONLY if they are still raking in HUGE paycheques... In the absence of that, they won't play... so, it's not that they want to play, it's that they want to get paid!!! There is a HUGE difference there...

By saying that the owners are locking them out and that the players want to play, what they are saying is that they want the owners to accept status quo until a new CBA is negotiated... The league at that point would have ABSOLUTELY NO LEVERAGE and a CBA that fixes the problems would never come to pass because the players are happy playing under status quo, so they have no reason to negotiate... So, my suggestion was that if they expect the owners to do that and give up their leverage, why is it so different to expect the players to come back and play for minimum wage while the owners rake in huge revenues? That way they are taking away the players leverage because they owners would have no reason to negotiate because the system at that point would work great for them...

I'm not saying that I'd ever expect the players to do this... What I'm saying is that this rhetoric that Goodenough spouts is a load of crap... Because he's suggesting that the owners do something, that if the tables were reversed, the players would NEVER do... The NHL is not about to give up it's leverage any more than the players would be willing to give up theirs! :teach:

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
DementedReality said:

dr
DR, obviously you know me since you called me by my first name (and i can't find anywhere on here that i've posted that)... I looked in your profile and there's nothing in there to help me out at all... are you in the EXHL? who are ya? ya got me curious...

Brent Burns Beard