Goodbye Erik Cole

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Cole will always look better than Ryder as he'll move his little feet fast, and drive the net. Yet....Ryder might finish with 2 goals while Cole will have nothing.

I do predict at least 1 goal on Cole's opening night. But a game doesn't make a year. And it CLEARLY doesn't make a trade.

Maelpj*

Solid first game for Cole with the Stars

No goal or assist for Cole first game with Dallas, only 1 shot, -2, 2 turnover(worst of the them equal with 2 or 3 other guy). 14:58 ice time.

Ryder was not that bad

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Its sad to see Cole drop so much... Kuddos to Bergevin for trading him while he has value. We got an equivalent player on an expiring contract and a draft pick. Great trade.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Just a stupid thought on my part....and what if Dallas isn't stupid and just DON'T want Gionta?

Of course, we HAVE to prefer Cole...Ryder hasn't done much today. And Cole will probably score 1 maybe 2 in his first game. But like the Bourque vs Cammy trade...why don't we wait? I remember we loved the trade not that long ago, comparing Bourque great start of season compared to Cammy's slow start....If we look once again....Cammy did transformed his slow start to a pretty good one.

The thing is, the Habs aren't, as far as I'm concerned, a real Cup contending team. We can win those games in the regular season, but a tough matchup in 7 games? I don't see it. And if I don't see it, it's not the sole addition of Cole that makes me think otherwise. Based on that, I take the saving money and the 3rd to continue building a stronger team. And I would ahve also take the chance that while Cole might succeed THIS YEAR....he won't next year AND the year after.

Cammy is great at eating up top minutes, getting fed all night and producing sporadically, he has not helped that team at all in any other facet of that game. If that is what you get for 6M he better keep transforming.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Cammy is great at eating up top minutes, getting fed all night and producing sporadically, he has not helped that team at all in any other facet of that game. If that is what you get for 6M he better keep transforming.

And yet Cam has 15 points in 16 games. PPG player and you still criticize him (I believe you called him a "bum") while propping up Kaberle, Cole and any other Gauthier failure.

:laugh:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good job by the team to identify that Cole has lost the explosive step in his skating that he needs to be successful.

Ryder is a pure sniper and a RH shot which we lack. He can be cut loose at the end of the season. Giving Timmins another high pick is always a good thing.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
:(

There are many things Cole said he will miss about Montreal, from the skyline of the city viewed while crossing the Champlain Bridge from the South Shore, to the raucous Bell Centre, to the teammates with whom he has bonded.

He laughed when asked what he won’t miss, and came up empty — not even listing potholes or the city’s ubiquitous orange traffic cones.

“There’s nothing I can say was miserable, that’s worth being gone, or thank God I don’t have to see again,” he said.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Cole+puts+human+face+trade+Dallas/8037532/story.html#ixzz2MKVrOMe

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just a stupid thought on my part....and what if Dallas isn't stupid and just DON'T want Gionta?

Of course, we HAVE to prefer Cole...Ryder hasn't done much today. And Cole will probably score 1 maybe 2 in his first game. But like the Bourque vs Cammy trade...why don't we wait? I remember we loved the trade not that long ago, comparing Bourque great start of season compared to Cammy's slow start....If we look once again....Cammy did transformed his slow start to a pretty good one.

The thing is, the Habs aren't, as far as I'm concerned, a real Cup contending team. We can win those games in the regular season, but a tough matchup in 7 games? I don't see it. And if I don't see it, it's not the sole addition of Cole that makes me think otherwise. Based on that, I take the saving money and the 3rd to continue building a stronger team. And I would ahve also take the chance that while Cole might succeed THIS YEAR....he won't next year AND the year after.

Yea well if we're not really contenders and we trade a player for a pick and cap space, it's a pretty arrogant move for a GM. Cause our success stood on something not very solid and you trade a core player just cause he was shaky this season. It's like the GM said: "we're so great now that we can afford trading Cole" when in fact I thought Cole was much more important than than that in my opinion. He wasn't just a depth player while for Bergevin it's a depth trade really:" we need a right shot guy for the PP". I mean that's a joke, right. Maybe 5, 10 games from now Cole would have returned on the first line. Habs are not big and physical and get even less big and physical.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yea well if we're not really contenders and we trade a player for a pick and cap space, it's a pretty arrogant move for a GM. Cause our success stood on something not very solid and you trade a core player just cause he was shaky this season. It's like the GM said: "we're so great now that we can afford trading Cole" when in fact I thought Cole was much more important than than that in my opinion. He wasn't just a depth player while for Bergevin it's a depth trade really:" we need a right shot guy for the PP". I mean that's a joke, right. Maybe 5, 10 games from now Cole would have returned on the first line. Habs are not big and physical and get even less big and physical.

production wise, Cole and Ryder are pretty much the same. the major difference is their play style.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Playoff production...surprised no one (or barely) mentioned the major difference between RYDER and COLE. I'm a Cole fan...more than Ryder, but...this is 2013. Ryder is the better one in playoffs...and it is/should be all about the playoffs.

COLE = playoff no-show (check his playoff stats...depressing)

RYDER = has had some playoff success + Stanley Cup (he was even playing defensive hockey for Bos...hate him for it!).

p.s.: I wasn't a huge Ryder fan when he was a Hab (to be honest)...always felt he was one dimensional (ex: similar to Kessel...when not scoring he's useless,etc), but...seems like he has become a better player since he left Montreal...hope this success follows him back here in Montreal (if not...he's UFA.... win/win for us + we get a 3rd Rnd Pick...loving it...3rd rnd picks to Timmins = similar to 1st-2nd rnd picks!).

brian70

Jul 8, 2012
Always interesting to watch a rookie GM make his first moves. We all expect Kekalainen to keep all of his picks and build around development. That's pretty much his motto. Bergevin, on the other hand, is a dark horse. He learned a lot in Chicago, surrounded himself with competent men in Montreal, but he's still totally green.

I just cannot see him making the final decision on his own. In fact, I'm assuming that trade (or the consent if that exact proposal came for the Stars) might have been suggested and approved by the people around him namely Dudley, Mellanby, Carriere and Therrien. I believe Bergevin would need to make a few more transactions before being judged.

My concern about this trade is the philosophy embraced by the new management when taking over. Grit, toughness accounted for the hiring of Prust, Armstrong, Bouillon and four years of Moen. Getting rid of a power forward for a sniper not known for his physicality is a contradiction with the new culture.

Two more years at $4.5M for a power forward is not so much worse than four years at $2.5M for a 3rd-4th line energy winger. They had to think he couldn't get his game back to make this bold move.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
If you guys want to feel good about this trade just head on over to the dallas board. They make it sound as if we robbed the baby from the cradle! It's funny they even thought the pick was going their way lol.

If the goal is to let Ryder go at the end of the season to free up cap space then why not hang on to Cole in hopes that he turns it around. Cole could have fetched atleast a 3rd round pick at any time, maybe even a 2nd come trade deadline? Habs NEED physicality in the playoffs! Habs need to go for the cup. People are always saying how the habs are missing a few pieces and are a few years from contending but guys like Markov and Plekanec aren't getting any younger so by that time we'll be missing a few pieces again!

On the other hand it seems like Cole's head didn't seem to be in the game and seeing him completely give up on that play as he watched the other team score makes this trade a little bit easier to swallow.

Naoned

My concern about this trade is the philosophy embraced by the new management when taking over. Grit, toughness accounted for the hiring of Prust, Armstrong, Bouillon and four years of Moen. Getting rid of a power forward for a sniper not known for his physicality is a contradiction with the new culture.
It all depends on what Bergevin does next. If his goal is indeed to go after Perry, and he manages to sign him, he'll have opened the spot and a lot of the money he needed to make it happen. And we'll have an upgraded, more talented and meaner version of Cole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad