Goodbye Erik Cole

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Im watching the game tonight and saying to myself.........Man could we use Cole tonight..........and to think all we got was a 3rd round pick for him..........ARGGG.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
Seriously guys, Ryder has to adapt to our system first and you expect him to score on his first game? Where were you when Cole sucked the first 20 games?

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Cole wasn't scoring 30 goals this year, so we never lost that player.

People on this board are hilarious. In a matter of a week the team subtracted 2 power forwards, one due to concussion and one due to an oddly timed trade. I don't care how Cole played the first 8-10 games of the year. He was playing much better.

I won't argue it around here. Just a really bizarre move.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Seriously guys, Ryder has to adapt to our system first and you expect him to score on his first game? Where were you when Cole sucked the first 20 games?

Not hating on Ryder, I like Ryder. If you want to pick him up, do it at the deadline or slightly before. Not subtract a key cog of your dressing room who's rounding into form and just happens to be exactly what the team needs.

At the deadline, I guarantee everyone will say 'The Habs need to pick up some size if they're going to compete in the playoffs'.

Better yet, **** Ryder, sign Kostitsyn for peanuts and keeps Cole. Stupid.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
People on this board are hilarious. In a matter of a week the team subtracted 2 power forwards, one due to concussion and one due to an oddly timed trade. I don't care how Cole played the first 8-10 games of the year. He was playing much better.

I won't argue it around here. Just a really bizarre move.

It was a long term move, not a short term one. We minimimized the short term risk and increased long term flexibility.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
It was a long term move, not a short term one. We minimimized the short term risk and increased long term flexibility.

The short term risk was overrated big time around here. First place team, why **** with it? Cole's a vet, you give him the benefit of the doubt. Created a hole for no reason and we're now doubly ****ed because Bourque is out too. So you have Ryder playing on the third line with an 18-year-old and a guy who's still developing his consistency on a nightly basis.

We get a taste of a team with a great lockerroom, great chemisty mix of youth and character vets, and **** with it. I don't get it. But I forgot, noone's allowed to question Marc Bergevin. The genius who brought Francis Bouillon to town as the powerful and mighty 6th defenceman.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The short term risk was overrated big time around here. First place team, why **** with it? Cole's a vet, you give him the benefit of the doubt. Created a hole for no reason and we're now doubly ****ed because Bourque is out too. So you have Ryder playing on the third line with an 18-year-old and a guy who's still developing his consistency on a nightly basis.

We get a taste of a team with a great lockerroom, great chemisty mix of youth and character vets, and **** with it. I don't get it. But I forgot, noone's allowed to question Marc Bergevin. The genius who brought Francis Bouillon to town as the powerful and mighty 6th defenceman.

Why do people care if boullion is a 6th d-man? It's really minimal stuff here. He adds mobility, physicality and character. I mean, sure, we'd love a better D but he's #6 D...

Also, what hole? Cole wasn't producing. When cole's on his game he's hard to replace...but he wasn't. He's a slow starter, we hear it all the time but this isn't first time a team had their concerns, Oilers did the same. It's not worth the risk for 2 more full years.

Ryder has similar offense but less physicality. That being said, we can always add a strong bottom 6 player later on.

It really isn't about questioning Bergevin. You're saying we lost 30 goal scorer goal, but we didn't.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Why do people care if boullion is a 6th d-man? It's really minimal stuff here. He adds mobility, physicality and character. I mean, sure, we'd love a better D but he's #6 D...

Also, what hole? Cole wasn't producing. When cole's on his game he's hard to replace...but he wasn't. He's a slow starter, we hear it all the time but this isn't first time a team had their concerns, Oilers did the same. It's not worth the risk for 2 more full years.

Ryder has similar offense but less physicality. That being said, we can always add a strong bottom 6 player later on.

It really isn't about questioning Bergevin. You're saying we lost 30 goal scorer goal, but we didn't.

They absolutely did. He had a slow start man and was coming off an offseason injruy and a bit messed up by the lockout. His goal totals could easily be three or four higher. Luckily the young players give the team depth and as long as teh team wins it doesn't matter. I'm just baffled by the trade and will continue to be. Cole is exactly the type of player the team needs more of.

Just an unnecessary and lateral move. Anyways, agree to disagree. I think the team will miss Cole more than the majority of people think, especially when things get tighter checking and having big bodies and experienced players become more important.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I think the cap space is more valuable than Ryder, although his secondary scoring will come in handy. Ryder's floating self won't draw penalties the way Cole did, but if we can grab Clowe and/or Perry with the freed up dough, I'll be an extremely happy man.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
So why not move Cole in the offseason? I think it was an odd move by Bergevin and I'll leave it at that. As long as the team wins, whatever. That being said.. the knock on the team in the playoffs is always that they get run down. It's bad timing as well with Bourque being out. I don't think the trade needed to happen, Cole was coming around. If you want to move him, do it in the offseason.

And to address the Bouillon comment, I like the guy but he was totally not the play on the backend. Team needs a big nasty SOB.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Are you questioning the addition of Bouillon???

He's been a massive steal at 1.5 mil cap hit. He's playing like a 4+ mil d-man, rock solid. I can't even thing of him making a major gaffe so far in the season, VERY steady.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So why not move Cole in the offseason? I think it was an odd move by Bergevin and I'll leave it at that. As long as the team wins, whatever. That being said.. the knock on the team in the playoffs is always that they get run down. It's bad timing as well with Bourque being out. I don't think the trade needed to happen, Cole was coming around. If you want to move him, do it in the offseason.

And to address the Bouillon comment, I like the guy but he was totally not the play on the backend. Team needs a big nasty SOB.

Yea keep Cole for the playoffs at least. Trade Gionta for Ryder instead.

So far, I prefer Cole than Ryder.

I have the feeling something happened for Bergevin to hit the panic button.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

NTC and the fact that all the UFA-to-bes after the season are actually...UFAs, so you have to trade for less-than-ideal players salary and/or term-wise.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Are you questioning the addition of Bouillon???

He's been a massive steal at 1.5 mil cap hit. He's playing like a 4+ mil d-man, rock solid. I can't even thing of him making a major gaffe so far in the season, VERY steady.

Definitely questioning the addition of Bouillon. He's played well but he's not the player they needed.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010

Gallagher is Gionta 2.0. However you don't mess with a winning team which is why the Cole trade is so weird. Bergevin must think he will really decline. I disagree and think it's a dumb move because come trade deadline day I guarantee eveyone will be saying how they need a big winger with size who can skate.

That being said I like Ryder and as long as the team wins, whatever. Just think Cole deserved to be apart of it, not tossed aside after a half dozen bad games so far where things weren't going his way.

Weird move all around

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Gallagher is Gionta 2.0. However you don't mess with a winning team which is why the Cole trade is so weird. Bergevin must think he will really decline. I disagree and think it's a dumb move because come trade deadline day I guarantee eveyone will be saying how they need a big winger with size who can skate.

That being said I like Ryder and as long as the team wins, whatever. Just think Cole deserved to be apart of it, not tossed aside after a half dozen bad games so far where things weren't going his way.

Weird move all around

Even if Cole would have stayed on the third line, it gave us incredible depth. And there was the physicality. Once his game would hit his stride, then it makes the teams even better. Three dangerous line. And just as far as his personality, Cole just had this gungho style that fits better with two young hungry guys like Eller and Gallchenyuk compared to Ryder who seems to be floating and doing outside plays. I'd rather have Cole as an example to these kids, a guy that works hard and crash the net than Ryder.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Just a stupid thought on my part....and what if Dallas isn't stupid and just DON'T want Gionta?

Of course, we HAVE to prefer Cole...Ryder hasn't done much today. And Cole will probably score 1 maybe 2 in his first game. But like the Bourque vs Cammy trade...why don't we wait? I remember we loved the trade not that long ago, comparing Bourque great start of season compared to Cammy's slow start....If we look once again....Cammy did transformed his slow start to a pretty good one.

The thing is, the Habs aren't, as far as I'm concerned, a real Cup contending team. We can win those games in the regular season, but a tough matchup in 7 games? I don't see it. And if I don't see it, it's not the sole addition of Cole that makes me think otherwise. Based on that, I take the saving money and the 3rd to continue building a stronger team. And I would ahve also take the chance that while Cole might succeed THIS YEAR....he won't next year AND the year after.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
So goodbye Eric Cole.

Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road.

Last edited:

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Keep winning and you'll forget all about Cole.

Ryder will fit right in. One of the worst things you can do as a new teammate, is go out there and try to take over the show. Makes for a horrible first impression.

Ryder played a sound game, no mistakes, got the puck in deep. Earn the trust of your players and coach, first and foremost, then build off that.

Ryder will get his game going, no doubts.

LaTenderness*

Ryder looked better tonight then Cole has all year.....

Then again all he had to do was not fall down 6 times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->