Confirmed with Link: GOODBYE and &¥#% YOU 2020! HELLO 2021

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
2020 was a trying year. I was laid off about a month ago (and have found a temporary job since) and my mother was diagnosed with cancer the day before. This while in the process of moving to a new place that really set things back.

I hope 2021 will be better but it won't be for at least the first half of the year.

Good luck to you in the New Year and I hope you find full time employment again as soon as possible. I know its tough here in Cowtown and I am grateful that I am no longer in the rat race. The rats seemed to get bigger and meaner with every passing season.

I also wish your mother a speedy recovery and a return to full health in 2021.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Good luck to you in the New Year and I hope you find full time employment again as soon as possible. I know its tough here in Cowtown and I am grateful that I am no longer in the rat race. The rats seemed to get bigger with every passing season.

I also wish your mother a speedy recovery and a return to full health in 2021.
I'm honestly not that worried about finding new permanent employment. I figured I'd be unemployed for the remainder of the calendar year but one of my coworkers gave me a good reference to an opportunity which could become permanent.

As for my mother, it's not the first time she's had breast cancer, so she knows the deal already. It is trying for our family though. Thanks for your well wishes.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
2021 will suck too, I'm guessing most people won't get their vaccines until Sept then we'll be protected but until then lockdowns, bs and sitting at home trying not to get fat. lol at least there will be hockey.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If there is one thing I learned it's not to take advantage of free time.

Luckily I had done two trips, one in January and one in March right before all this shit went down. So at least I was doing things to start the year. However, there have been times where I've decided not to go somewhere as I didn't feel like it.

Going forward I'll think twice as options became quite limited this year. All I have to remember is when the weather was colder the only fun thing to do was take a drive somewhere.

My dad had MS from a relatively young age of 40 till he passed away in his late 70’s. Was wheelchair or bed ridden for a good chunk of that time. Was hard to watch, but I did learn a valuable life lesson from his experience. Many years ago I made a promise to myself to go for a walk or a hike everyday, rain or shine, as long as my legs can still move. And made the conscious effort to travel and vacation with the family as often as possible. So while this pandemic has been relatively brief, I think you’re right, you’ll see more people not taking things for granted, not putting trips and plans off till another day, and living more for today. The old saying ‘Tomorrow is promised to no one’ will likely be more pronounced and have more meaning for many in 2021.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
NYE never means a thing to me. Just another day which I try to make into something unique with Champagne, sometimes some fireworks of different kinds...I think as a "Special day" in my lexicon it ranks somewhere way lower than Thanksgiving or Labor day.

Basically a day of really bad and cheesy NYE programming, leaving out whats happening in your own City, and extolling the virtues of alcohol from idiot drunken hosts who have a gig when not going off the rails saying stupid shit that ends up on front pages. cough. Kathy Griffin. I mean these are the stock characters I'm supposed to like watching on NYE, some of the most deplorable cretins ever seen.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
NYE never means a thing to me. Just another day which I try to make into something unique with Champagne, sometimes some fireworks of different kinds...I think as a "Special day" in my lexicon it ranks somewhere way lower than Thanksgiving or Labor day.

Basically a day of really bad and cheesy NYE programming, leaving out whats happening in your own City, and extolling the virtues of alcohol from idiot drunken hosts who have a gig when not going off the rails saying stupid shit that ends up on front pages. cough. Kathy Griffin. I mean these are the stock characters I'm supposed to like watching on NYE, some of the most deplorable cretins ever seen.

Never understood the fascination of watching the TV at midnight and doing the countdown. My ideal NYE is to go out for a nice dinner with friends around 8 or 9, then go for a midnight skate, followed by some family games or a movie.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Never understood the fascination of watching the TV at midnight and doing the countdown. My ideal NYE is to go out for a nice dinner with friends around 8 or 9, then go for a midnight skate, followed by some family games or a movie.

heh, this is going to seem funny to you but we've much liked the NYE celebrations at Sherwood Park and its an enjoyable low key celebration with several activities, performers etc.

Years and years ago we liked taking in the "First Night" celebration DT which was kind of unique and itneresting and that took a decidedly family, and non drinking view of NYE, which was much more enjoyable.

I dont like NYE ballroom parties. Like a special kind of hell to me but the wife and friends have dragged me kicking to more than a few.

When I was lacking in cash, and cheap, I used to head out to WEM, Bourbon Street, and just walk into any party at midnight handing out free Champagne. By 11- midnight nobody is checking tickets. Just walk in, free bad champagne, even party favors, and um, reasonably drunk friendly females, um....

People would pay 150bucks and I'd just walk in for free. I probably had a better time...

Last edited:

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
3276091B-8281-471D-A60D-AAD743CB9D6E.jpeg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
not popping any bubbly tonight

Here in Europe we are still f***ed and in the US until people puts health before peoples rights to party every night-things will get worse there

sorry to talk politics but until a certain day in Jan--all covid data is released by the Whitehouse. Info is coming out from some individual states--but the mass data is being collected by Mr Orange and co--so we do not have a clear idea how bad it is in certain parts of the states
Yes, I would skip the bubbly and head to the hard stuff.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes, I would skip the bubbly and head to the hard stuff.

What is cracking me up right now is I am getting my year end emails from travel companies to travel the world in 2021. IN reading the fine print, they make it clear that they will not refund any money if flights are cancelled due to government rules and other fun stuff

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
My dad had MS from a relatively young age of 40 till he passed away in his late 70’s. Was wheelchair or bed ridden for a good chunk of that time. Was hard to watch, but I did learn a valuable life lesson from his experience. Many years ago I made a promise to myself to go for a walk or a hike everyday, rain or shine, as long as my legs can still move. And made the conscious effort to travel and vacation with the family as often as possible. So while this pandemic has been relatively brief, I think you’re right, you’ll see more people not taking things for granted, not putting trips and plans off till another day, and living more for today. The old saying ‘Tomorrow is promised to no one’ will likely be more pronounced and have more meaning for many in 2021.
My aunt lived with ms for 40 years. She is actually the first person I ever saw do yoga. Every day without fail. Quite an inspiration, especially seeing as ms was a death sentence at the time.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
What is cracking me up right now is I am getting my year end emails from travel companies to travel the world in 2021. IN reading the fine print, they make it clear that they will not refund any money if flights are cancelled due to government rules and other fun stuff
Well, if you give them the benefit of the doubt, I know a Nigerian prince who will reward you handsomely if you provide a donation.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->