Goodbye Alberta????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

thinkwild said:
THey can keep Holik, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, whereas Calgary or Edmonton has to lose them. Its not fair to poor small market teams. They lose Weight and Marchant.

I realize that. I wasn't saying it was fair. I was simply pointing out that New Jersey doesn't go and blow a load of cash on free agents. They simply have the money to keep their home-grown talent around. If Scott Gomez was drafted by Edmonton, we all know he'd have been traded by now.

thinkwild said:
Craig Conroy leaving will be the unravelling of Calgary? You have to be kidding me? Thats so touching you get so attached to the players on the team, even if you just traded for them.

First of all, Calgary isn't my team.

Secondly, Calgary just went for a run to the Cup Finals with a less-than-average payroll, and Conroy played a good part in helping Calgary get there. Craig Conroy left because LA can give him the raise that Calgary cannot.

I didn't say Conroy leaving would be the unravelling of the Flames. I said it could be the start. Honestly, under the expired CBA's financial structure, how long do you think Calgary could keep Jarome Iginla with his current salary, and pay other good players to keep the team competitive at the same time?

Mountain Dude

hockeytown9321 said:
You're right. So how does Calary keep all those guys who get 30% raises under a cap?

They won't be able to ask for a ****load more money. If they do, they won't be able to play, because nobody will have enough room under the cap. Also they want a 2 way bargaining, so that would help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->