Good/Very Good Players Who Weren't Quite Stars...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'd like to devote a thread to the Andrew Brunettes, Cory Stillmans, Geoff Courtnalls of the NHL...

Get in your Mike Foligno and Mike Ridley references...

Shout out to Stumpy Thomas, John MacLean and Geoff Sanderson and John Ogrodnick.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Sylain Turgeon is hanging with Reijo Rutsolaeinen in here. Anders Kallur is hosting.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
chris tanev, dan hamhuis, kevin bieksa, alex edler, christian ehrhoff, keith ballard, sami salo, mattias ohlund, willie mitchell, ed jovanovski, jyrki lumme, gerald diduck, dave babych. sigh

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This is almost like the "who's who of Finnish hockey minus Selanne and Kurri".

Numminen, Lumme, Salo, Timonen, Lehtinen, Koivux2, Granlund, Ruotsalainen, Jokinenx2, Tikkanen....

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Ilkka Sinisalo. Was never that big a name in Finland (either), but did pretty well in the Flyers for many years. Bobby Clarke liked him.

I think Koivus, Lehtinen, Tikkanen etc could be almost called stars, just not superstars.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Reposting from this old thread: Steve Thomas was the highest-scoring player of all time (933 career points) to have never played in an all-star game. After that: Cliff Ronning with 869 points, followed by Slava Kozlov at 853, Thomas Steen at 817, and Ken Linesman at 807.

Dale Hunter has them all beat with 1,032 career points but he mysteriously got picked to play in the 1997 game.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Reposting from this old thread: Steve Thomas was the highest-scoring player of all time (933 career points) to have never played in an all-star game. After that: Cliff Ronning with 869 points, followed by Slava Kozlov at 853, Thomas Steen at 817, and Ken Linesman at 807.

Dale Hunter has them all beat with 1,032 career points but he mysteriously got picked to play in the 1997 game.
Zetterberg has never played in an ASG and has 960 points. He was, however, selected to several games but never played due to "injury". Not sure if that counts.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Zetterberg has never played in an ASG and has 960 points. He was, however, selected to several games but never played due to "injury". Not sure if that counts.
It does not. He has been a star most of his career, not the least cemented after the Conn Smythe. Maybe not even Claude Lemieux can be said to have been under the radar since his one. He was forever a semi-star.
ASG's are all about offence, and Detroits motto of skipping games does not help.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'd like to devote a thread to the Andrew Brunettes, Cory Stillmans, Geoff Courtnalls of the NHL...

Get in your Mike Foligno and Mike Ridley references...

Shout out to Stumpy Thomas, John MacLean and Geoff Sanderson and John Ogrodnick.

The first person that popped into my mind when I read the title of this thread was Mike Ridley.

Others (just a Winnipegger/Winnipeg Jet category): Thomas Steen, James Patrick, Doug Smail, Paul MacLean, Bob Essensa, Morris Lukowich, Carey Wilson, Willy Lidstrom.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Maybe he wasn't considered/treated like a star, but Ziggy was a star level player. The guy finished in the top 10 in League scoring four times, twice while with the Islanders. He led LA in scoring by 42 points in 2002-2003.
If you compare Palffy and Tavares, Palffy probably has a slightly better offensive record, and we've seen a lot of people refer to Tavares as a "superstar" in the last couple weeks.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
If you compare Palffy and Tavares, Palffy probably has a slightly better offensive record, and we've seen a lot of people refer to Tavares as a "superstar" in the last couple weeks.
That might also due to draft status.
I felt while very very good Palffy never reached "star" status ,though probably should have.
Its kinda like being the best player in the league but Wayne was playing,just born on the wrong year.
The league had Feds /Frosberg/Lindros ,Mario Wayne on and on.Modano was a bigger star than Palffy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad