Good promising players that have disappeared?

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Pitkanen broke his heel two years ago, I don't know if he retired or if he is still trying to recover from that, but he didn't just disappear.
He's actually been skating with Oulun Kärpät as of late, and his goal is to play top level professional hockey again. Not sure if he's able to return to the NHL, but it's still remarkable that he's trying hard to make a comeback after such a gruesome injury.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Just in terms of "disappeared", Dmitri Kulikov?

Maybe it's a symptom of playing for the Panthers but he went from a highly touted prospect to a very good rookie to someone whose name I haven't heard in like three years. He's not putting up very good numbers for an offensive defenseman but I have no idea at all how he's doing defensively.

He's doing great defensively, him and Mitchell have clicked

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Magnus Pajarvvi (probably didn't spell his name right)

After all the hype and the trash talking that he did at the WJC, plus with the HF boards crying that he dropped all the way to the Oil in the draft.

Also Angelo Esposito, I remember my old man was all gung hoe about this kid, I think he thought he was Phil's son or something, when he was shown in the draft sitting there waiting to be called (he dropped much further than he was supposed to go as well) my old man called me up "He's going to make the Habs wish he had taken him"

Good thing my dad is not a GM in the NHL...haha

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
I'm going with Sergei Samsonov

Calder on the Bruins to Edmonton than the Habs, Hawks, Canes and finally Panthers.

he hit two of three purgatory teams

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Magnus Pajarvvi (probably didn't spell his name right)

After all the hype and the trash talking that he did at the WJC, plus with the HF boards crying that he dropped all the way to the Oil in the draft.

Also Angelo Esposito, I remember my old man was all gung hoe about this kid, I think he thought he was Phil's son or something, when he was shown in the draft sitting there waiting to be called (he dropped much further than he was supposed to go as well) my old man called me up "He's going to make the Habs wish he had taken him"

Good thing my dad is not a GM in the NHL...haha

Esposito should be the poster child for this thread. At one point he was a candidate to go 1st overall in the 2007 draft. He fell to 20th, got traded a couple times, went to Europe, came back, disappeared. Never played a game in the NHL.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Kulikov actually looks really good this year. He hit the 300 game mark and is finally looking like the defenseman we all hoped he'd be. He's no longer making dumb decisions with the puck and turning it over every other time he touches it. He's been playing with Willie Mitchell which has been great for his development and is used in every situation, 2nd pairing D on the powerplay, 1st pairing D on the penalty kill, and 1st pairing D at even strength. Mark Morris has been a great addition to the coaching staff and has helped everyone take a major step forward. The defense and goaltending is the strength of this team, and Kulikov's improved play is a major factor.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Esposito should be the poster child for this thread. At one point he was a candidate to go 1st overall in the 2007 draft. He fell to 20th, got traded a couple times, went to Europe, came back, disappeared. Never played a game in the NHL.

Esposito also wrecked his knee pretty badly twice. His lack of foot speed was already a pretty big knock against him and having a bum knee sure didn't help.

I just looked up his stats to see where he was playing. Looks like he joined his younger brother John to play for Bolzano HC in Austria. Managed 1 goal and 8 points in 35 games. In Austria. :-/

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Esposito also wrecked his knee pretty badly twice. His lack of foot speed was already a pretty big knock against him and having a bum knee sure didn't help.

I just looked up his stats to see where he was playing. Looks like he joined his younger brother John to play for Bolzano HC in Austria. Managed 1 goal and 8 points in 35 games. In Austria. :-/

What? Angelo Espisto was playing in Austria? Damn, I should know that. :laugh:

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
This screams Cheechoo. one Rocket Richard season. Irrelevant every other one

RyWy

May 26, 2011
Michigan
Niclas Bergfors.
Always thought he had the talent and was going to be a good player in the league.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Good old POS. Still love how the Oilers wanted him for Cole rather than Justin Williams.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Andrew "Rayzor" Raycroft. From Calder to calamity. Funny how he started 72 games for the Leafs this one season...

I guess the Rayzor nickname is a curse for goalies... Emery had it as well (but he's back in form).

There is also Semin.

He also has the most wins in a season for the leafs tied with belfour.

Also his nickname is now the same as racicot's. "Red light"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad