Good or Bad trade offer?

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
I've been offered Byfuglien Ryder and Halak for OV and taylor hall and corey schneider, I dont think i should trade OV, what do you think?

ALONE OV worth more than Byfuglien, Ryder and Halak. Those 3 for Hall, Schneider is about fair. Ryder is an ok player, Byfuglien is good but not superstar, and Halak got, for the moment, a good value. But consider than Halak value is atm maybe on par or just a little over Schneider. Hall is a top rookie player. No, just dont get that deal done, your going to get ripped badly.

He want OV? Im curious to see the rest of his roster, and yours. But consider this, you got a bad friend trying to scam you, and you really dont know hockey at all. Hope this league got a commisionner that can refuse trade because i would instantly refuse it and give a big warning to the one who propose it.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
ALONE OV worth more than Byfuglien, Ryder and Halak. Those 3 for Hall, Schneider is about fair. Ryder is an ok player, Byfuglien is good but not superstar, and Halak got, for the moment, a good value. But consider than Halak value is atm maybe on par or just a little over Schneider. Hall is a top rookie player. No, just dont get that deal done, your going to get ripped badly.

He want OV? Im curious to see the rest of his roster, and yours. But consider this, you got a bad friend trying to scam you, and you really dont know hockey at all. Hope this league got a commisionner that can refuse trade because i would instantly refuse it and give a big warning to the one who propose it.

You are criminally underrating Halak.

And he would be the one receiving the warning because I didn't propose the deal, he came to me and asked what it would take to get one of my defensemen.

Just for clarification, the league is a 14 team non-keeper points league.

G,A,PPP,GWG,HITS,PIM

W, L, S%, GAA, SHO

Please give up, you tried to fleece him horribly. And got caught you're not going yourself any favors.

I don't know how to give up when I'm right. I'll make you a deal though. If you or anyone else can make a quantified, statistical (that's what Fantasy is all about is it not?) and logical argument as to how he is getting fleeced with the aforementioned proposal I will gladly stop posting in the thread. Because here's how I see it according to Yahoo's fantasy scores from last year:

OV = 227FANPTS
Hall = 160.5FANPTS

= 387.5FANPTS

Byfuglien = 115FANPTS
Perron = 104FANPTS
Ryder = 129.75FANPTS

= 348.75FANPTS

He's giving up roughly ~30-40 FANPTS to significantly upgrade his goaltending. His current goaltending consists of Nabokov, Schneider and Khudobin. Mine consists of Niemi,Halak and Giguere. Other teams in his division alone have Luongo/Howard and Rinne/Rask. I fail to see how this is a fleece job when it's one of the few deals that actually helps both teams

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

And he would be the one receiving the warning because I didn't propose the deal, he came to me and asked what it would take to get one of my defensemen.

G,A,PPP,GWG,HITS,PIM

W, L, S%, GAA, SHO

I don't know how to give up when I'm right. I'll make you a deal though. If you or anyone else can make a quantified, statistical (that's what Fantasy is all about is it not?) and logical argument as to how he is getting fleeced with the aforementioned proposal I will gladly stop posting in the thread. Because here's how I see it according to Yahoo's fantasy scores from last year:

OV = 227FANPTS
Hall = 160.5FANPTS

= 387.5FANPTS

Byfuglien = 115FANPTS
Perron = 104FANPTS
Ryder = 129.75FANPTS

= 348.75FANPTS

He's giving up roughly ~30-40 FANPTS to significantly upgrade his goaltending. His current goaltending consists of Nabokov, Schneider and Khudobin. Mine consists of Niemi,Halak and Giguere. Other teams in his division alone have Luongo/Howard and Rinne/Rask. I fail to see how this is a fleece job when it's one of the few deals that actually helps both teams

A common fantasy rule, whoever gets the better player wins.

He's giving up the best players. Give up

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

G,A,PPP,GWG,HITS,PIM

W, L, S%, GAA, SHO

OV = 227FANPTS
Hall = 160.5FANPTS

= 387.5FANPTS

Byfuglien = 115FANPTS
Perron = 104FANPTS
Ryder = 129.75FANPTS

= 348.75FANPTS

Alright it's pretty simple actually.

Ovechkin >> Byfuglien
Easily, Ovechkin will do everything Byfuglien does and outpoint him

Hall >>> Ryder
This shouldn't even be close

Schneider = Halak

Give up you're wrong

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
:laugh:

Hall and OV!? Those are potentially two top 10 players in the league and you want them for Byfuglien and Ryder? Come on bro, if he needs to up his defense and goaltending, he can go out and get a Karlsson or Quick/Lundqvist for one of those two if he wanted. That's how good those guys are. Ryder and Buff are not even close.

Halak has been wildly inconsistent in his time with STL, and Schneider may be splitting time with Brodeur, but a lot of Devils fans feel it's only a matter of time before Marty plays poorly and Schneider starts getting the nod. They did give up their 9th overall for him after all. While Halak may be valued higher, it's not by much.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Alright it's pretty simple actually.

Ovechkin >> Byfuglien
Easily, Ovechkin will do everything Byfuglien does and outpoint him

Hall >>> Ryder
This shouldn't even be close

Schneider = Halak

Give up you're wrong

I see a lot of >>> and <<< but no concrete statistical evidence of anything. You also conveniently neglected to address the fact that he's also getting (1) of Perron/Vrbata. And you really, really are clueless if you think "Schneider = Halak." Because Schneider is a starting goalie and NJ is going to say FU to Brodeur who was the face of their franchise for 90% of his career by only starting him 25 games. They had no 7th round pick, traded for one, just so they could draft Brodeur's son. Brodeur will play, and he will play all the easier matchups. Schneider will get all the tougher matchups behind a pretty mediocre NJ defense. Try again

:laugh:

Hall and OV!? Those are potentially two top 10 players in the league and you want them for Byfuglien and Ryder? Come on bro, if he needs to up his defense and goaltending, he can go out and get a Karlsson or Quick/Lundqvist for one of those two if he wanted. That's how good those guys are. Ryder and Buff are not even close.

Halak has been wildly inconsistent in his time with STL, and Schneider may be splitting time with Brodeur, but a lot of Devils fans feel it's only a matter of time before Marty plays poorly and Schneider starts getting the nod. They did give up their 9th overall for him after all. While Halak may be valued higher, it's not by much.

The Devils are not making Schneider their clear cut #1 unless Marty absolutely ***** the bed. Even if Schneider was the clear cut #1, Halak is on a much (MUCH) better team and it still wouldn't even be close. And I know that Ryder and Buff aren't even close. That's why he's getting an extra legitimate forward to even out the deal, which I've mentioned 50x in this thread and that everyone keeps conveniently forgetting to prove a point that doesn't exist

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I see a lot of >>> and <<< but no concrete statistical evidence of anything. You also conveniently neglected to address the fact that he's also getting (1) of Perron/Vrbata. And you really, really are clueless if you think "Schneider = Halak." Because Schneider is a starting goalie and NJ is going to say FU to Brodeur who was the face of their franchise for 90% of his career by only starting him 25 games. They had no 7th round pick, traded for one, just so they could draft Brodeur's son. Brodeur will play, and he will play all the easier matchups. Schneider will get all the tougher matchups behind a pretty mediocre NJ defense. Try again

The Devils are not making Schneider their clear cut #1 unless Marty absolutely ***** the bed. Even if Schneider was the clear cut #1, Halak is on a much (MUCH) better team and it still wouldn't even be close. And I know that Ryder and Buff aren't even close. That's why he's getting an extra legitimate forward to even out the deal, which I've mentioned 50x in this thread and that everyone keeps conveniently forgetting to prove a point that doesn't exist

Halak is injury prone, he'll be injured soon don't you worry.

Perron, Vrabta doesn't make it any better

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Halak is injury prone, he'll be injured soon don't you worry.

Perron, Vrabta doesn't make it any better

Ah yes, the crystal ball argument. Such a strong one. If you get a chance out of your busy schedule of predicting the future, could you tell me tonight's winning lottery numbers?

And yeah.. two first line players playing on their respective teams top PP units don't make it any better. One of whom scored 35 goals in the last full season. Sure.

This is my last post in the thread. There's nothing left to argue. I'm not trading Halak anyway at this point with how good both he and STL has looked. I can get extra offense elsewhere

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Ah yes, the crystal ball argument. Such a strong one. If you get a chance out of your busy schedule of predicting the future, could you tell me tonight's winning lottery numbers?

And yeah.. two first line players playing on their respective teams top PP units don't make it any better. One of whom scored 35 goals in the last full season. Sure.

This is my last post in the thread. There's nothing left to argue. I'm not trading Halak anyway at this point with how good both he and STL has looked. I can get extra offense elsewhere

Perron isn't on the first line in Edmonton.

Please go try and rip someone else off

LastChancePrice

Dec 12, 2004
WojtekGoalski, please. Stop. Im coming here reading this thread because its just too hilarous to see you defending yourself about that quickie your trying to pull on your friend. You lost, get over it.

You sound like Pierre Lacroix who try to trade Rucinski, Thibault and Kovalenko to Montreal for Patrick Roy lol...

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Ovechkin in a league with hits is dynamite (probably #1 player in that league). This guy is a joke

Last edited:

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
I've been offered Byfuglien Ryder and Halak for OV and taylor hall and corey schneider, I dont think i should trade OV, what do you think?

You are getting completely ripped off and your 'buddy' is doing everything he can in this thread to try to save face and convince you otherwise... He's trying to fleece you.

AlvintheChoster

Nov 23, 2010
VanCity
I'm patiently waiting for someone to de-bunk the logic I just graced this forum with

Alright here it goes. You argue that Ryder puts up stats, which I can't deny to a certain extent, but arguing his 30-goal seasons from 7/8 years ago doesn't help convince anyone. However, though you argue he puts up stats, Hall and Ovechkin both outscored him last year, and have the advantage of age, while Ryder is most likely declining. Secondly, in a league with Hits and PIMS, you would have to be brain dead to even compare Ryder to Ovechkin/Hall, even if he put up the same number of points, which he obviously doesn't.

Again, Byfuglien puts up less points and around the same PIMS as Ovechkin and Hall, and is much more of an inconsistent player than the two of them. They play different positions, so it's hard to compare, but regardless, the possible gap between Byfuglien and Hall does not make up for the difference in Ovechkin and Ryder.

Halak has played well this year, while Schneider is not playing very amazing, but it's not a surefire thing that it will stay that way. Do you forget that Halak put up worse stats than Brian Elliot and played less games last year? Regardless, Halak and Elliot have a history of splitting starts in St. Louis, and there is a 3rd option in Jake Allen. Halak is playing great now, but his job is nowhere near secure, and at the first sign of failing he could be replaced. As of now, Halak has the advantage over Schneider, but given past stats that could easily change. Schneider played more than Luongo last year, and if you think Brodeur > Luongo right now, there is no hope for you and you should probably stop watching hockey. Sure, Brodeur is a legend, but it is the GM and coach's job to win as many games as possible, so if Schneider outplays Brodeur, he will get more stats (not 70/12, more like 50/30).

As of right now, you can give the advantage to Halak over Schneider. It's pretty even between Byfuglien and Hall, but if someone argued the advantage for Byfuglien due to his position, I could agree to that, but it's less of a difference than Halak and Schneider for sure, and almost irrelevant. The two differences put together, however, does not match the difference between Ovechkin and Ryder. Ryder doesn't put up the same points as Ovechkin, does not hit as much, and does not put up as many PIMS. Though I am too lazy to look it up, he probably does not put up as many PPP, either. If you are going to use Halak's hot start as leverage, how about Ovechkin's? Definitely looking back to his elite 50-goal season form after his start. Lastly, even if the values were even, which you won't convince most people after this post, the person with Ovechkin could get higher value, based solely on his name, so it is smart to decline.

EDIT: You continually talk down New Jersey to try to gain leverage, but then try to talk up a 33-year old winger on the exact same team, who has a history of following up 30-goal seasons with 30 point seasons, and the reputation of one of the softest players at his position.

If you have trouble understanding my logic I "graced the forum with," here it is in simpler form.

Halak >>> Schneider (Each ">" for likely games played advantage, team quality, and a generous one for his hot start)
Byfuglien > Hall (For putting up similar numbers, but from the backend)
Ryder <<<<< Ovechkin (Basically every single offensive category. Goals, Assists, PIMS, Hits, PPP. Tempted to pull the "quality of team" card as well, considering he is on the same team as Schneider. Also has subtle advantages in TOI, Name recognition, etc.)

Last edited:

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008

G,A,PPP,GWG,HITS,PIM

W, L, S%, GAA, SHO

OV = 227FANPTS
Hall = 160.5FANPTS

= 387.5FANPTS

Byfuglien = 115FANPTS
Perron = 104FANPTS
Ryder = 129.75FANPTS

= 348.75FANPTS

Are you planning on playing the rest of the season a man down? If not, your math ignores that you'll be picking up a guy from the waiver wire once this goes through.

I don't play in a points league, but I'd imagine it's possible to find a guy worth 40+ FANPTS on the wire right now, and that's probably much lower than the reality. Is the difference between Halak and Schneider ~70-80 fantasy points?

LosT_PropheT

Apr 21, 2006
Baltimore
I see a lot of >>> and <<< but no concrete statistical evidence of anything. You also conveniently neglected to address the fact that he's also getting (1) of Perron/Vrbata.

Ovechkin has more points than Byfuglien

Hall outscores Ryder by a whole lot. Ryder is a pretty mediocre player. He's a free agent in my league.

Halak is probably valued a little higher Schneider as it stands now. Although, Brodeur hasn't started since the outdoor game and it's pretty apparent that Schneider has taken over the starting job. Brodeur very well could be traded also. Schneider's GAA and Save % are amazing, you just cant expect as many wins.

=============

For what it's worth, I think Byfuglien is being vastly underrated in this thread. He plays both wing and defense, 4th in defense scoring. He shoots a ton. He hits a ton. I think he has a lot of value, just not Ovechkin's value. Even if you're trying to solidify your D.

But, we'll assume that for argument sake that Byfuglien is equal to Ovechkin. The disparity between Hall and Ryder is crazy large.

Perron/Vrbata points are easy to find. I don't put much value in either of those players.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It's really simple

OV >>> Ryder

Halak >>> Schneider (at least while Brodeur is in the picture)

Byfuglien > Hall

He gets his D and G shored up and I get a game breaking forward. Seems pretty fair to me considering both rosters. On second thought, I'd be fine with throwing in a depth forward with upside like a Vrbata or Perron to make the deal better.

Schneider is better than Halak. Better stats and seems to have stole the number one job.

This deal isn't even close. Best goal scorer in AO, an upgrade in nets AND Hall for that? Ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad