good news !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
After weeks of bellicose posturing in the media by both parties, today's silence of is deafening. The end is nigh.

Labour negotiations have to run their own course. It's now use asking why both sides couldn't have gotten to this point three months earlier. "Philosophical" differences are only put aside when the will to overcome them is sufficiently high. With the bleak prospect of playing out the season in Europe for peanuts staring them directly in the face, the players have flinched. What remains to be seen is how far the owners will have to move to find the "common ground".

It's the end game of these negotiations and no news is good news. Is there nobody else out there that isn't afraid to say it.

Go Flames Go*

Bill Daly seems gully enough to take it to the NHLPA, and bringing the gulliness of Cousin Lou will only make the NHL that much unified and harder to defeat. The owners came with pistols in both hands this time, the Players got caught with there pants down and are holding a knife, its time to give it up, and accept the Cap.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Go Flames Go said:
Bill Daly seems gully enough to take it to the NHLPA, and bringing the gulliness of Cousin Lou will only make the NHL that much unified and harder to defeat. The owners came with pistols in both hands this time, the Players got caught with there pants down and are holding a knife, its time to give it up, and accept the Cap.
huh?

i guess you don't know much about "cousin lou" and the devils payroll. :dunno:

jeez man do you ever stop

Crows*

Go Flames Go said:

Every post you make, makes me more confident that there will be an NHL season.

THE NHLPA invited Lou not the NHL smart guy :lol :lol

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Go Flames Go said:

Let's wait until we see the deal before we make these claims. Lou knows full well that under most cap situations he'll lose the heart of his team. The deal will be very workable for the players.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Go Flames Go said:

Lest we forget that it was the PA that got these talks kick started? If this gets done, the man you disgrace in your avatar... well, you'll just look really, really silly regardless of there being a cap or not.

Thank you for rationalizing.

Go Flames Go*

The PA has done nothing to show encouragment to the fans that they are willing to negotiate a fair deal. All they did was offer more of the same with a one time rollback of 24% YAY. The NHL has offered significant conescions on there part to get a deal done, yet the NHLPA keeps coming back with false numbers and more of the same.

Crows*

Go Flames Go said:
The PA has done nothing to show encouragment to the fans that they are willing to negotiate a fair deal. All they did was offer more of the same with a one time rollback of 24% YAY. The NHL has offered significant conescions on there part to get a deal done, yet the NHLPA keeps coming back with false numbers and more of the same.

Are you on crack? LOOK AROUND.... M,OST PEOPLE on here are against the players. :lol :lol :lol

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Go Flames Go said:
Why don't you get on the owners for cost certainty? it seems to me that if the owners had some sort of revenue sharing plan they would get cost certainty. You know the players are no angels but the owners have caused these problems. The players simply took the money the owners gave them. It takes two to tango my young friend.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Son of Steinbrenner said:
Why don't you get on the owners for cost certainty? it seems to me that if the owners had some sort of revenue sharing plan they would get cost certainty. You know the players are no angels but the owners have caused these problems. The players simply took the money the owners gave them. It takes two to tango my young friend.

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/faq.html
WHY CAN'T THE CLUBS FIX THEIR PROBLEMS BY SHARING THEIR REVENUE MORE EVENLY?

* THE NHL ALREADY SHARES ITS REVENUE ON A SUBSTANTIALLY SIMILAR BASIS TO THE NFL, NBA AND MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
* WITHOUT A COST CERTAIN SYSTEM, REVENUE SHARING WILL NOT IMPACT AT ALL THE CURRENT LEVEL OF LEAGUE-WIDE LOSS—IT WILL MERELY REALLOCATE THAT LOSS IN DIFFERENT AMOUNTS AMONG DIFFERENT CLUBS
* REVENUE SHARING, EVEN AS A THEORETICAL MATTER, CAN ONLY WORK IF THE LEAGUE AS A WHOLE IS PROFITABLE, AND A MAJORITY OF THE MEMBER CLUBS ARE PROFITABLE—NEITHER IS THE CASE IN THE NHL

My apologies for the caps but I was not about to retype all of this.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
txomisc said:

* THE NHL ALREADY SHARES ITS REVENUE ON A SUBSTANTIALLY SIMILAR BASIS TO THE NFL, NBA AND MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
* WITHOUT A COST CERTAIN SYSTEM, REVENUE SHARING WILL NOT IMPACT AT ALL THE CURRENT LEVEL OF LEAGUE-WIDE LOSS—IT WILL MERELY REALLOCATE THAT LOSS IN DIFFERENT AMOUNTS AMONG DIFFERENT CLUBS
* REVENUE SHARING, EVEN AS A THEORETICAL MATTER, CAN ONLY WORK IF THE LEAGUE AS A WHOLE IS PROFITABLE, AND A MAJORITY OF THE MEMBER CLUBS ARE PROFITABLE—NEITHER IS THE CASE IN THE NHL

Revenue sharing

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL: Thirty-four percent of each team’s locally generated revenue, including gate receipts, goes into a central fund. The money is split equally among all 30 teams. An expected $280 million will be redistributed in 2004 from large-revenue to small-revenue teams.

NBA: The ABC / ESPN contract which took effect at the 2002-03 season provides $4.6 billion over six seasons, or $25.5 million per team, per season.

NFL: The NFL is in the seventh year of an eight-year $18 billion television deal with major networks. Each of the 32 teams receives $75 million per year. By comparison, this is more than the NHL’s total annual revenue from all sources. Also, 40 percent of all gate receipts goes into a pool that is eventually divided equally among all teams.

NHL: Television revenues in Canada and the U.S. split equally among the 30 teams — approximately $4 million per team last season. The figure is likely to be less in the future because the U.S. network deal with NBC and ESPN doesn’t offer guaranteed money up front.

The NHL has the worst revenue sharing in pro sports. The only league close to the limited revenue sharing the NHL has is the NBA and they have an added sharing of a luxury tax. The NHL does not share revenues anything like the other leagues.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/0410/22/g06-302043.htm

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
txomisc said:

how do we know what the league is saying is true? i read somewhere and i'm sorry for not having a link that the league wants to only share playoff revenues. If thats true its a stupid plan.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Son of Steinbrenner said:
how do we know what the league is saying is true? i read somewhere and i'm sorry for not having a link that the league wants to only share playoff revenues. If thats true its a stupid plan.

The league, in its most recent CBA proposal, states:
We reiterate our willingness to implement, in conjunction with a new economic system, an enhanced revenue sharing program that will allow the new system to operate as intended. Under our proposed approach, all 30 of our Clubs (assuming an appropriate level of business performance within their respective markets), would be provided the ability to spend within the prescribed payroll range.

Now, I could be wrong, but if this language were included in a CBA signed by both parties, the NHL would be legally obligated to do as its says it will do. This would seem to answer the questions posed by those who claim a significant number of NHL teams could not afford the proposed salary floor.

Go Flames Go*

CarlRacki said:
We reiterate our willingness to implement, in conjunction with a new economic system, an enhanced revenue sharing program that will allow the new system to operate as intended. Under our proposed approach, all 30 of our Clubs (assuming an appropriate level of business performance within their respective markets), would be provided the ability to spend within the prescribed payroll range.

Now, I could be wrong, but if this language were included in a CBA signed by both parties, the NHL would be legally obligated to do as its says it will do. This would seem to answer the questions posed by those who claim a significant number of NHL teams could not afford the proposed salary floor.

There is no way a CBA is signed with the above paragraph as the only detials on revenue sharing. It will have to outlined properly for it to even happen.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
CarlRacki said:

If the prescribed payroll range is between 31-38 million the league doesn't have to revenue share more than limited playoff revenue, that by anyones definition is not revenue sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad