Post-Game Talk: Good News: No Stamkos Goal and a Loss. Bad News: Two Stamkos Apples (4-2 Bolts)

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Like to see Kozun get in there over Lindstrom and Sill. He at least has a chance of still being with the organization next year.

McLeafy

Sep 26, 2014
Some people seem very happy with the result on the first page.

I cheer for the team to win and I always do. I'm happy when the leafs win because I cheer for the team. The wins aren't meaningless, they provide entertainment.

I promise you a top 5 pick isn't always a blue-chip prospect. And cheering for a terrible season and having a player bust isn't worth my time. I know all about the benefits of a high draft pick. That doesn't mean I want the team I support and cheer for to constantly lose. I find it ironic to support someone yet hope they lose. If I cheer for the leafs and they win, I'm happy. If they lose and get a better pick, I'm still happy. I'm not cheering for them to lose though.

At the end of the day we only get to see so many leaf games. Would you rather see them win or lose?

The team is just beyond atrocious. They can barely win games and theres really no point in them doing so for the rest of the season.

Its repeated seasons like these that tell you a team needs major changes to overhaul an overlaying problem with how it's built.

We won in florida, but this team only managed 1 goal in over 10 mins on a goalie who could stand, go on one knee or lay on the ground as his only means of stoping the puck. with bernier standing on his head to get us a lousy win.

Im just tired of seeing this **** over and over again. Time to abandon ship and let the deadweight go down with her.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Our drafting needs to improve though. Some teams contend year after year and still find gems from 15-30 while we pick players like Gauthier.

This. Our first rounders before our terrible finishes were Percy, Biggs and Gauthier...

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Brewer was shocking. I can't believe his play for their second goal. I just can't understand what he was trying to achieve. But Kucherov had beautiful snipe, that's true.

Panik-Kadri-Komarov seemed engaged and also Lupul-Holland-Booth seemed ok, I'd be ok if all of them stayed for next season.

Even though I don't like them losing, it's ok for higher pick. But if there's effort, I don't care about results(in this season of course).

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
How did Brewer look?

What about Lindstrom?

Depends on how you look at it. If you're one of those fans who cheer for a win no matter the situation then he was atrocious, if you're going for the tank he was the best player on the ice.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Brewer's game was not only atrocious (still have no idea what he was doing on the first goal) his post game comments were shocking...he was asked what was the early difference he's seen from the Leafs to the Ducks and his response was "Nothing" LOL...what! I know it's only been one game but come on, he doesn't see one difference from the way the Leafs play to the way the Ducks play.. wow.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
he was also asked how he felt being with the Leafs his response. "I'm happy to be on a re-building team" really Eric..really

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Our drafting needs to improve though. Some teams contend year after year and still find gems from 15-30 while we pick players like Gauthier.

Definitely. And we need to do much better in rounds 2 and beyond as well. Some teams have 2/3rds of their 1st line consisting of players they picked up in the 3rd round or lower.

We simply need to do much better in drafting than we have done in the past which has been consistently underperforming over a long time span. Of course, you have to have some patience and develop and coach these players as well.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
The van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel line needs to be broken up badly. While Bozak gets all the hate on the first line from here because he doesn't put up many points, van Riemsdyk is actually the biggest possession drag on that 1st line. van Riemsdyk should be demoted to the 2nd line.

Leafs should try this in their top 6. I feel this would be much more effective.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Panik

As for the Leafs' bottom 6:
Holland shouldn't be playing a shutdown role. I wouldn't give him so many defensive zone starts. The problem is that Holland is too good for the 4th line and the Leafs have two top 6 centres on their team already (Kadri and Bozak). So Holland is slot into the 3rd line by default. But the 3rd line is more of a shutdown line and not a scoring line. So Holland is asked to take a lot of defensive zone face-offs in his role. A role that doesn't quite fit his skill set. Meanwhile the 4th line has less of a defensive burden. It's an energy line. At worst, it's a secondary shutdown role. But Holland deserves more ice time than that.

Leafs need a centre from the Marlies or the pressbox that can come in to play shutdown. Or they can use Komarov in that role and bring up a good winger to play the grinder role.

The problem with guys like Holland. Young guys who have talent but their defensive game is not quite up to snuff: Is that if they aren't given a chance to develop somewhere in a 2C role, they're usually out of a job. Because the 3rd line is usually reserved for defense and the 4th line is usually reserved for a secondary shutdown role (before in the Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren days it used to be a sheltered goon line. But now our 4th liners are expected to know how to play the game of hockey). And even though you have more opportunities to produce offensively on the 4th line, they don't get a lot of ice time. Trevor Smith gets a lot of sheltered zone starts and he sucks. Peter Holland would be good in that role. But he deserves more ice time than that.

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This. Our first rounders before our terrible finishes were Percy, Biggs and Gauthier...

We did not do to well in the 2011 season when we picked up Biggs and Percy but we did not have our 1st pick but managed to get 2 first from trades.

And Percy has top 4 potential. And he is the kind of prospect that if he makes it he will steadily improve for each passing season. That is not the case with every one since there usually is a tipping point when the players natural abilities will not be enough to cover his flaws with increased ice time. With Percy I dont think that is the case but he is some one who will take a step forward in his development every season and with every opportunity of increased responsibility.

Gauthier and Biggs, well, they are you typical late 1st rounders. There is some untapped offensive potential there but even if that never develops you still have a couple of solid bottom six players. And both these guys still has the potential to become elite defensively at the NHL level.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
He's happy to show the younger players that eventually will become the core (Rielly) what not to do.

people are signaling him out on that first goal but seeing his reaction and listening to mike johnson's analysis sounded like it wasn't on him

he knows how to play and if he really does want to help with a rebuild that's good

his foot speed is an issue though :) ....guy make franson look like bolt

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Brewer's game was not only atrocious (still have no idea what he was doing on the first goal) his post game comments were shocking...he was asked what was the early difference he's seen from the Leafs to the Ducks and his response was "Nothing" LOL...what! I know it's only been one game but come on, he doesn't see one difference from the way the Leafs play to the way the Ducks play.. wow.

Actually that wouldn't be too surprising, as the Ducks have a lot of the same issues the Leafs do, but they seem to win where the Leafs seem to lose.

I think it's a combination of coaching and the lack of media scrutiny.

I think this season the media really took it to a whole new level.

The Ducks don't win a lot of their games the "right way" either, but the media isn't caterwauling their performances.

A lot should be said of the boost that lowered expectations brings.

Just look at Ottawa a few years ago. They moved out most of their core (Fisher, Kelly, Alfredsson, etc.) and told fans to be patient during the rebuild, and they still made the playoffs, IMO, because nobody had expectations for them to do so.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

you sir are the definition of ridiculous impatience

you are already passing judgement that those are bad picks:shakehead

thats just a world of wow, with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad