Good little article: When is enough enough for southern markets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's not just population but also lack of corporate support and TV presence. The NHL could put a team in Saskatoon or Regina and hope for some Green Bay Packers style magic, but they wouldn't make any money off of said experiment and it would be a drag on the league.

But they're already not making money off of these southern teams that I mentioned either...

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
But it's too small. Sorry.

Really? That's your counter argument? :shakehead

It's arrogant and ignorant comments like that almost makes me want to irrationally hate the Southern Teams and the NHL (and along with other things the United States in general) like so many people I know.

Let me tell you something, the Nordiques had a large fanbase in Eastern Quebec, as well as the Maritimes. And based on the numbers of Nordiques and Jets jerseys around the NHL's arenas I'd say we are at least as hockey mad as the cheese heads in Green Bay in both our towns.

Anyways, you're free to think what you want, but the lack of buyers for many American teams and the importance and influence of True North and Québecor as potential owners shows me that I am right.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
the bottom line is that the NHL BOG and bettman want to move away from being a gate-driven league. There are limits to how far a gate-driven league can grow. In a gate-driven league, there will always be teams that lose money when they are losing.

The NHL needs the tv contracts. That is why we are in 'the south'. I'll wait and see what happens with the next round of contracts before i make up my mind on whether the strategy is working or not.

The NHL has had all these teams in the south for a decade now, some of them even longer, and yet no mega TV contract has materialized. It makes sense in theory, but at the same time if the interest isn't there then it just won't happen.

Also you have to consider the fad aspect. People will be into things that are deemed to be a hot item. If the league as a whole is selling 95-99% of all available tickets, then it's going to garner media attention. The league will be seen as a hot ticket item and potential TV contracts can emerge from that.

I'm not saying relocate all 24 US teams to Canada. I'm simply saying relocate 6 of them. The proportion will still be 18-12 in favour of the US. Future potential expansion areas would be in the US as well, including the unknown market of Las Vegas.

The only problem is of the 38 million in those three states, there are about 50,000 hockey fans.

Of the 34 million in Canada, there are 15 million hockey fans.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Yeah... I was just thinking when I was eating my Bagel and cream cheese this morning...

<Enter flash-back sequence>

Man... There just aren't enough threads on the HF boards that put hockey fans in the U.S. and Canada at each others throats... you know? Not enough discussion on where franchises really "Belong"....

Lordy lordy, I log on today and voila... another one rears its head. Boy am I relieved my earlier concerns were put to rest.

:sarcasm:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The NHL has had all these teams in the south for a decade now, some of them even longer, and yet no mega TV contract has materialized. It makes sense in theory, but at the same time if the interest isn't there then it just won't happen.

Also you have to consider the fad aspect. People will be into things that are deemed to be a hot item. If the league as a whole is selling 95-99% of all available tickets, then it's going to garner media attention. The league will be seen as a hot ticket item and potential TV contracts can emerge from that.

I'm not saying relocate all 24 US teams to Canada. I'm simply saying relocate 6 of them. The proportion will still be 18-12 in favour of the US. Future potential expansion areas would be in the US as well, including the unknown market of Las Vegas.

One of the teams you want to relocate is drawing around 95% BTW incluing the fact that 1/4 of thier home games were under winter storm warnings

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Have any proof to back that statement up?????? :shakehead

over 15 million people watched the gold medal game at the olympics or 1/2 canadians. Not all will be big fans but its a good bet at least half of those 15 million watch the nhl

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
There is a school somewhere that teaches a class in hockey operations that uses McCown's book as a textbook. He is proud of pointing that out. I would guess this is one of the students.

The funny thing is I believe McCown is an American. Can anyone confirm?

GHOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad