Good Guy Beau Bennett

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Now, I get that it's not really a big deal to most people, but for someone in his position it could come as a bit of a blow to be left off the cup. Came across this article (I don't follow him on twitter) and just got a real good vibe about the guy.

I also feel kinda bad for him, he's been injured more than healthy and that must take a toll along with watching his team win without him.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Beau%2BBennett%2Bresponded%2Bto%2Bhis%2Bname%2Bbeing%2Bleft%2Boff%2Bof%2Bthe%2BStanley%2BCup%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bclassiest%2Bway%2Bpossible&id=592649

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Love Beau. His sense of humor is super self-deprecating which is something that amuses me greatly because that's how I think we would be if any of us were NHL players. His retweet during the Pens Stanley Cup Parade with the ambulance killed me. :laugh:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I can see where he's coming from. In a way, of course, it'd be nice to have your name on it but it's not the same as earning it. I'd be more upset at the circumstances that made it that way rather than the end result itself, personally. He still got to celebrate, a day with the Cup, and I'm sure a ring as well. Those are some very good consolation prizes!

Regarding his sense of humor, my friend made this and Beau retweeted. Not sure why I can't get it to embed, but here's the link:

https://twitter.com/BeauBennett19/status/755248725266542592

:laugh:

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can see where he's coming from. In a way, of course, it'd be nice to have your name on it but it's not the same as earning it. I'd be more upset at the circumstances that made it that way rather than the end result itself, personally. He still got to celebrate, a day with the Cup, and I'm sure a ring as well. Those are some very good consolation prizes!

Regarding his sense of humor, my friend made this and Beau retweeted. Not sure why I can't get it to embed, but here's the link:

https://twitter.com/BeauBennett19/status/755248725266542592

:laugh:

Whoever Pam Beasley is, she's what's wrong with the education system.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Always liked Beau. But how in the hell did Kevin Porter get his name on the Cup over him? Wow. :laugh:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Whoever Pam Beasley is, she's what's wrong with the education system.

:laugh: I was going to comment on this. That was uncomfortable to read. I'm glad I don't know her, and I feel for those who do.

I wish Bennett could've stayed healthy and stuck on the Pens. I thought he had the talent, and he was fairly effective at times. I wish him well.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Thank god Jeff Zatkoff got his name instead...

Also Beau's twitter profile pic is HFBoards level photoshopping :clap: His twitter is gold all around.

Sad he couldn't stay healthy. Showed some good flashes of skill when he played.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Cup lost all its luster for me when the Kings petitioned to put Jeff Schultz' name on it in 2014.

It used to be sacred to me......now it's just another trophy.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Love Beau. His sense of humor is super self-deprecating which is something that amuses me greatly because that's how I think we would be if any of us were NHL players. His retweet during the Pens Stanley Cup Parade with the ambulance killed me. :laugh:

Just saw that too :laugh: seems like a great guy. Also liked the one "I would have totally made Team NA if I was younger... and more talented"

:biglaugh:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Off topic but I know the Cup is engraved by hand but was the engraver drunk the day he did it? That is some sloppy work "Fvgeni Malkin"? Is the "J" gone from Lovejoy's name or is that the angle of the picture?

The whole thing looks horrible.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Beau has always been a good guy with extraordinarily bad injury luck. The guy got hurt for celebrating a freakin' goal. He always had a good attitude about it too. some of the funniest tweets ever :laugh:.

They could have petitioned for him to be on the cup, but they petitioned for Dupuis and Zatkoff for obvious reasons. Beau was never much of a contributer.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Beau is great. Proud of another California kid that 'made it,' just wished he had better health! Glad he has a sense of humor about it because it has to be tough to be so close yet so far.

The Cup lost all its luster for me when the Kings petitioned to put Jeff Schultz' name on it in 2014.

They did that because, like it or not, he contributed heavily to the Cup run by entering the lineup and playing very well when Mitchell missed much of the Ducks series with injury. He just didn't play in the Final. He was actually a perfect example of why the petition exists.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015

why would they not petition. He helped them out with injuries and he deserved it to have his name on there and the kings knew that. So they rightfully petitioned.

Also, no one cares if the cup is not "sacred" to you, because its still the hardest trophy to win in sports and the players put their health on the line to achieve it.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Off topic but I know the Cup is engraved by hand but was the engraver drunk the day he did it? That is some sloppy work "Fvgeni Malkin"? Is the "J" gone from Lovejoy's name or is that the angle of the picture?

Next to the Blackhawks engravings, it does look like shoddy work. The J in Lovejoy is an angle/reflection thing though.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

Yes, it's done by hand. One letter at a time. It takes her two weeks to do it. The cup has only ever been engraved by her, her father, her grandfather, or her great-grandfather.

I can't confirm whether she was drunk or not though.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

14718740_10155297669178765_8836367829238288677_n.jpg

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Beau has always been a good guy with extraordinarily bad injury luck. The guy got hurt for celebrating a freakin' goal. He always had a good attitude about it too. some of the funniest tweets ever :laugh:.

They could have petitioned for him to be on the cup, but they petitioned for Dupuis and Zatkoff for obvious reasons. Beau was never much of a contributer.

Why did they have to petition to get Zatkoff's name on the Cup?

I thought for goalies (specifically backups), as long as they were dressed for the 41-game requirement, they made it on. Otherwise, you'd never have a backup on the Cup if the starter plays more than 41 games.

So I would have thought Zatkoff would automatically be on the Cup because he was the backup of record for the majority of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad