Good Frei column

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Kritter471, Mar 25, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Kritter471

Kritter471 Registered User

Staff Writer
    Frei's thesis in this column is individual teams should be selling the sport of hockey and the league rather than focusing on the team itself. I think he makes some very good points on how the league can sell the sport better by eliminating some of the blatant homerism that goes on in arenas.

Article is here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=frei_terry&id=2808076

Excerpts below:

(trust me, it may look like a long excerpt, but this is a meaty article that has a lot more to it than this).

2. Sotnos

Sotnos Registered User

Home Page:
    Very interesting, but certainly most teams do the on-air stuff already. Most local broadcasts I've seen (with a few exceptions) do a good job of promoting the players on the other team, telling you a little about them, doing interviews with them.

As for the at the game stuff, clever way to rag on Nashville some more, lol! I remember when Andreychuk got goal #600, the Bolts were in NJ and the team came off the bench for a group hug, but I don't know if they announced it or not. I saw Jagr get #500 several years ago...can't remember if it was on the scoreboard or not. I do remember knowing why he was celebrating, but can't remember how I knew.

Do other leagues acknowledge accomplishments at games no matter whose it is?

This one though, lol:
    Is he kidding? Most players leave for money, and most fans would rather boo them then give them "acknowledging applause". This might work for a few fan favorites who got traded or something, but otherwise he's giving fans too much credit here, lol.

3. golfmade

golfmade Go Preds Go

Teacher
    Funny Frei didn't also mention Lite's lack of class for some of the stuff he said, but hey let's just rag more on Nashville while it's hot.

4. cecilnyr

cecilnyr Registered User

I was at that game and the Devils DID NOT announce it in the building. Really had me scratching my head considering he played for them etc...I remember explaining why Tampa left the bench to congratulate Andreychuk to 15-20 people in my immediate vicinity. This is the type of thing Frei is talking about.

5. Sotnos

Sotnos Registered User

Home Page:
    Thanks, I had been wondering about that game since this stuff came up with Nashville. I figured if they didn't announce it, the fans must have been wondering what the fuss was about. :)

6. krudmonk

krudmonk Registered User

Market other stars? Promote the league over the home team? Great, so either we get a bunch of bandwagoners or a dull match where everyone stands for a golf clap at the end. This is right in line with removing fighting. Let's try to keep some passion in the league, please.

7. EatSleepJeep

EatSleepJeep Registered User

Denver Post writer calls out the Avs, Preds & NHL

Terry Frei of the Denver Post discusses class in an article on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=frei_terry&id=2808076

Last edited by moderator DevilsFan38: Mar 27, 2007
  8. thenextone

thenextone Registered User

I guess watching a game in a city like Vancouver, I was spoiled. Because all those things that Frei is mandating are commonplace in GM Place.

Hell we gave Joe Sakic a standing O for his 500th goal, even though he and the Avs played the Canucks at the height of their rivalry a few years back.

The only replays the team doesnt show is penalty calls, which i think the NHL has rules against anyways to prevent the referees from looking bad.

9. wabwat

wabwat Registered User

Home Page:
    pretty damn good article...

by the way, this -
    happens about 415 times a year at Staples Center... the Kings have in fact, "honored" Ian Laperriere everytime he's returned to building since he's been gone.

10. Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich Master of Unlocking

I don't have a problem with Nashville 'failing' to cheer Modano for passing Joe Mullen as the leading US-born player... because what the hell kind of stat is that? Do you think they'll salute a guy like Ovechkin or Malkin for eventually passing Fedorov as the all-time leading scorer for Russia? We don't say Gretzky leads all Canadian scorers. Hey, Dany Heatly will probably pass Walt Tkaczuk as the leading German-born scorer of all-time! When it happens in New Jersey, they damn well better have a parade planned for him!!

11. EatSleepJeep

They did it for Norstom when he was recently in town with Dallas. It was really quite moving.

12. Pinkfloyd

Pinkfloyd Registered User

Government Employee
    Well, I would assume it has something to do with the fact that they play the game in America so you would want to push your own countrymen when they accomplish something like this. If they played in Russia or Germany, I would want them to do that for when that happens in that situation.

13. Jill Sandwich

Jill Sandwich Master of Unlocking

I guess. Perhaps the game is so dominated by Canooks that I don't really think of it like that.

edit: haha, guess who is the third leading scorer from France? Cristobal Huet.

14. EatSleepJeep

:biglaugh:
    I definitely expect an announcement if he takes the #1 spot.

15. Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster Guest

I do not care. I go to watch hockey, not trivia.

16. Cat Called Bobcat

Cat Called Bobcat Registered User

Home Page:
    Ottawa's a bit mixed on this. For instance, Rod Brind'amour had some kind of milestone earlier this year and they put a little blurb on the jumbotron and showed him - the crowd cheered and he acknowledged them. They've done similar things in the past as well.

They also show out of town highlights during the second intermission.

On the other hand, they won't show the opposing team's goals during the period's 'highlights', even if the only goals during the period were opposition goals. Also, if the Leafs are playing in a different game, they'll only show the score on the jumbotron if the Leafs are losing. I think it's a bit silly, really.

17. NomadManderson

NomadManderson Registered User

I agree completely with his criticism about the Pepsi Center not replaying opposing goals. Completely ridiculous.

One thing about the column I find odd though... I was listening to the Calgary radio broadcast team call Joe Sakic's 600th goal, and they said there should be an acknowledgement of this accomplishment, suggesting that there wasn't one, and they commented that the fans might find it odd that the entire team came out to congratulate him for an empty net goal. Maybe someone who was in the arena for that goal can confirm. If it's true that there wasn't one in Calgary, why does Frei go out of his way to praise the Calgary fans while pointing out that Nashville and Colorado didn't provide acknowledgments for Selanne and Modano's milestones? And the crowd seemed pretty quiet after he scored the goal (understandable, it iced a Calgary loss):
    http://www.nhl.com/video/app?page=Home&service=page (select Feb 15th)

I'm sure there was a standing ovation by many Calgary fans for Sakic, but Frei almost makes it sound like it the moment brought the house down (comparing it to the smattering of applause for Selanne in Colorado). And I'd question if there would have been one for Selanne had he scored his 500th in Calgary. Sakic, after all, is a Canadian icon.

18. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    Would you like another helping of yourself or are you already full?

19. Jarnberg

Jarnberg Registered User

Home Page:
  20. mogs

mogs Registered User

I was totally reading the same article on Wikipedia yesterday. Leading scorers by nation. lol

21. usiel

usiel Aegrescit medendo Sponsor

musician/ts
    Home Page:
    I find it annoying on some telecasts when the Capitals are away that PP time for either team is not displayed...wth!?

22. yada

yada move 2 dallas 4 work

Dallas Area Rapid Transit
    ya that is really disappointing that nashville didnt acknowledge modanos goal and i hate modano.

23. yada

yada move 2 dallas 4 work

Dallas Area Rapid Transit
    are you a caps fan and watch all there games? i dont remember this happening like that. maybe they were having a clock problem when you were watching?

24. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Registered User

Video Editor
    Home Page:
    The guys in charge of the video scoreboard for the Senators, used to do it for the Ottawa 67's. They moved over to the Sens after the lockout. I edited the highlights for them at the 67's during the lockout year, and not putting the other team's goals in pissed me off to no end. I can't stand homers. I mean, what will happen if the fans see the other team scoring? Or that the other team is winning?

25. The Slap Shop

The Slap Shop Shop Like a King

Home Page:
    Stop blowing it out of proportion. They did it for his first game back last year and once this year when talking about 40 Years in Kings history.

I know it's only been twice because I would have never heard the end of it from my Mom. Lappy has gotten two. They've done it the same year this way for Gretzky and McSorely the exact same way. Stop saying that Lappy gets one every game because he does not.

The last four I can recall was Blake, Robitaille, Norstrom and Laperriere. That is only 4.