Good Frei column

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Frei's thesis in this column is individual teams should be selling the sport of hockey and the league rather than focusing on the team itself. I think he makes some very good points on how the league can sell the sport better by eliminating some of the blatant homerism that goes on in arenas.

Article is here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=frei_terry&id=2808076

Excerpts below:

(trust me, it may look like a long excerpt, but this is a meaty article that has a lot more to it than this).

The NHL needs to change its communal mind-set on many issues, and this is one of them.

The one-for-all, all-for-one, team's-the-thing culture can be -- and often is -- a refreshing contrast to the me-me-me culture of the NBA and other sports. (By the way, this is an aside: If the NHL ever follows the increasingly prevalent NBA practice of encouraging their public-address announcers to be screaming lunatic morons who act as if they believe everyone in the building has an IQ of a roll of adhesive tape, hand me earplugs.) When that team's-the-thing morphs into only-one-team matters policy, as often happens in the NHL -- leading to a frequent refusal to promote opposing stars, great plays or teams -- it's a problem.
Promote the game.

It's a mind-set and it involves little things.

Mandate that all goals are replayed on the scoreboard screens. Even if the home-team goalie was a sieve on a floater from the point or the young opposing star weaved through four home-team skaters and got the shot off with one hand after being knocked to the ice. Show them all. (For one thing, don't confirm to the guy who spent $122 on the ticket that he might have been better off staying home and watching from the couch, because even the cheerleading home broadcast realizes it can't get away with pretending the other team didn't score.)
Stop pressuring local broadcasters, whether they draw paychecks directly from the franchise or otherwise are beholden to the team, to be relentlessly "positive," no matter what happens. Insulting fans is no way to court or keep them.

When a player who did yeoman's service for the local team, but has moved on in an increasingly transient league, returns -- especially for the first time -- at least show him on the scoreboard screens during a media timeout and allow the fans to give him a nice round of acknowledging applause.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Very interesting, but certainly most teams do the on-air stuff already. Most local broadcasts I've seen (with a few exceptions) do a good job of promoting the players on the other team, telling you a little about them, doing interviews with them.

As for the at the game stuff, clever way to rag on Nashville some more, lol! I remember when Andreychuk got goal #600, the Bolts were in NJ and the team came off the bench for a group hug, but I don't know if they announced it or not. I saw Jagr get #500 several years ago...can't remember if it was on the scoreboard or not. I do remember knowing why he was celebrating, but can't remember how I knew.

Do other leagues acknowledge accomplishments at games no matter whose it is?

This one though, lol:
When a player who did yeoman's service for the local team, but has moved on in an increasingly transient league, returns -- especially for the first time -- at least show him on the scoreboard screens during a media timeout and allow the fans to give him a nice round of acknowledging applause.
Is he kidding? Most players leave for money, and most fans would rather boo them then give them "acknowledging applause". This might work for a few fan favorites who got traded or something, but otherwise he's giving fans too much credit here, lol.

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
As for the at the game stuff, clever way to rag on Nashville some more, lol! I remember when Andreychuk got goal #600, the Bolts were in NJ and the team came off the bench for a group hug, but I don't know if they announced it or not.

I was at that game and the Devils DID NOT announce it in the building. Really had me scratching my head considering he played for them etc...I remember explaining why Tampa left the bench to congratulate Andreychuk to 15-20 people in my immediate vicinity. This is the type of thing Frei is talking about.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
I was at that game and the Devils DID NOT announce it in the building. Really had me scratching my head considering he played for them etc...I remember explaining why Tampa left the bench to congratulate Andreychuk to 15-20 people in my immediate vicinity. This is the type of thing Frei is talking about.
Thanks, I had been wondering about that game since this stuff came up with Nashville. I figured if they didn't announce it, the fans must have been wondering what the fuss was about. :)

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
Market other stars? Promote the league over the home team? Great, so either we get a bunch of bandwagoners or a dull match where everyone stands for a golf clap at the end. This is right in line with removing fighting. Let's try to keep some passion in the league, please.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Denver Post writer calls out the Avs, Preds & NHL

Terry Frei of the Denver Post discusses class in an article on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=frei_terry&id=2808076

Mandate that all goals are replayed on the scoreboard screens. Even if the home-team goalie was a sieve on a floater from the point or the young opposing star weaved through four home-team skaters and got the shot off with one hand after being knocked to the ice. Show them all. (For one thing, don't confirm to the guy who spent $122 on the ticket that he might have been better off staying home and watching from the couch, because even the cheerleading home broadcast realizes it can't get away with pretending the other team didn't score.)

Show highlights from around the league.

Salute players reaching milestones.

Stop pressuring local broadcasters, whether they draw paychecks directly from the franchise or otherwise are beholden to the team, to be relentlessly "positive," no matter what happens. Insulting fans is no way to court or keep them.

Technology is great, so the detailed press notes can be flashed on the scoreboard screens and fans can be told that the left winger has points in 11 of his last 14 games, his dog's name is "Chico" and he had a terrific career for the Chicoutimi Sagueneens before moving to the NHL. But do it for both teams, not just the home guys.

All of that happens in some cities. Good for them.

It should happen everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
I guess watching a game in a city like Vancouver, I was spoiled. Because all those things that Frei is mandating are commonplace in GM Place.

Hell we gave Joe Sakic a standing O for his 500th goal, even though he and the Avs played the Canucks at the height of their rivalry a few years back.

The only replays the team doesnt show is penalty calls, which i think the NHL has rules against anyways to prevent the referees from looking bad.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
pretty damn good article...

by the way, this -

happens about 415 times a year at Staples Center... the Kings have in fact, "honored" Ian Laperriere everytime he's returned to building since he's been gone.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I don't have a problem with Nashville 'failing' to cheer Modano for passing Joe Mullen as the leading US-born player... because what the hell kind of stat is that? Do you think they'll salute a guy like Ovechkin or Malkin for eventually passing Fedorov as the all-time leading scorer for Russia? We don't say Gretzky leads all Canadian scorers. Hey, Dany Heatly will probably pass Walt Tkaczuk as the leading German-born scorer of all-time! When it happens in New Jersey, they damn well better have a parade planned for him!!

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA

happens about 415 times a year at Staples Center... the Kings have in fact, "honored" Ian Laperriere everytime he's returned to building since he's been gone.

They did it for Norstom when he was recently in town with Dallas. It was really quite moving.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't have a problem with Nashville 'failing' to cheer Modano for passing Joe Mullen as the leading US-born player... because what the hell kind of stat is that? Do you think they'll salute a guy like Ovechkin or Malkin for eventually passing Fedorov as the all-time leading scorer for Russia? We don't say Gretzky leads all Canadian scorers. Hey, Dany Heatly will probably pass Walt Tkaczuk as the leading German-born scorer of all-time! When it happens in New Jersey, they damn well better have a parade planned for him!!

Well, I would assume it has something to do with the fact that they play the game in America so you would want to push your own countrymen when they accomplish something like this. If they played in Russia or Germany, I would want them to do that for when that happens in that situation.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I guess. Perhaps the game is so dominated by Canooks that I don't really think of it like that.

edit: haha, guess who is the third leading scorer from France? Cristobal Huet.

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Ottawa's a bit mixed on this. For instance, Rod Brind'amour had some kind of milestone earlier this year and they put a little blurb on the jumbotron and showed him - the crowd cheered and he acknowledged them. They've done similar things in the past as well.

They also show out of town highlights during the second intermission.

On the other hand, they won't show the opposing team's goals during the period's 'highlights', even if the only goals during the period were opposition goals. Also, if the Leafs are playing in a different game, they'll only show the score on the jumbotron if the Leafs are losing. I think it's a bit silly, really.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I agree completely with his criticism about the Pepsi Center not replaying opposing goals. Completely ridiculous.

One thing about the column I find odd though... I was listening to the Calgary radio broadcast team call Joe Sakic's 600th goal, and they said there should be an acknowledgement of this accomplishment, suggesting that there wasn't one, and they commented that the fans might find it odd that the entire team came out to congratulate him for an empty net goal. Maybe someone who was in the arena for that goal can confirm. If it's true that there wasn't one in Calgary, why does Frei go out of his way to praise the Calgary fans while pointing out that Nashville and Colorado didn't provide acknowledgments for Selanne and Modano's milestones? And the crowd seemed pretty quiet after he scored the goal (understandable, it iced a Calgary loss):
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?page=Home&service=page (select Feb 15th)

I'm sure there was a standing ovation by many Calgary fans for Sakic, but Frei almost makes it sound like it the moment brought the house down (comparing it to the smattering of applause for Selanne in Colorado). And I'd question if there would have been one for Selanne had he scored his 500th in Calgary. Sakic, after all, is a Canadian icon.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
I guess. Perhaps the game is so dominated by Canooks that I don't really think of it like that.

edit: haha, guess who is the third leading scorer from France? Cristobal Huet.

I was totally reading the same article on Wikipedia yesterday. Leading scorers by nation. lol

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I find it annoying on some telecasts when the Capitals are away that PP time for either team is not displayed...wth!?

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I find it annoying on some telecasts when the Capitals are away that PP time for either team is not displayed...wth!?

are you a caps fan and watch all there games? i dont remember this happening like that. maybe they were having a clock problem when you were watching?

The Habs Fan

May 24, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa's a bit mixed on this. For instance, Rod Brind'amour had some kind of milestone earlier this year and they put a little blurb on the jumbotron and showed him - the crowd cheered and he acknowledged them. They've done similar things in the past as well.

They also show out of town highlights during the second intermission.

On the other hand, they won't show the opposing team's goals during the period's 'highlights', even if the only goals during the period were opposition goals. Also, if the Leafs are playing in a different game, they'll only show the score on the jumbotron if the Leafs are losing. I think it's a bit silly, really.

The guys in charge of the video scoreboard for the Senators, used to do it for the Ottawa 67's. They moved over to the Sens after the lockout. I edited the highlights for them at the 67's during the lockout year, and not putting the other team's goals in pissed me off to no end. I can't stand homers. I mean, what will happen if the fans see the other team scoring? Or that the other team is winning?

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site

by the way, this -

Stop blowing it out of proportion. They did it for his first game back last year and once this year when talking about 40 Years in Kings history.

I know it's only been twice because I would have never heard the end of it from my Mom. Lappy has gotten two. They've done it the same year this way for Gretzky and McSorely the exact same way. Stop saying that Lappy gets one every game because he does not.

The last four I can recall was Blake, Robitaille, Norstrom and Laperriere. That is only 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad