Good article by Bob McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I.am.ca said:
No, its the NHLPA rejecting anything that the NHL offers, they won't give any reasonable offer. .
What? The NHL is the ones not giving a reasonable offer and OBVIOUSLY the PA is going to reject anything the nhl offers because the only thing they keep offering is a HARD CAP.
Both sides are not giving reasonable offers but dont pin it just on one side.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I.am.ca said:
How do you know the owners would lose money if they ice a replacement team? they will make some money, but more than they would sitting around doing nothing. If you get some of the guys from the NCAA teams that are overage and are done and want to play to join teams and some AHL guys that are not tied to an nhl contract and maybe guys like Crosby and what not to come in as replacement players...would people not show up?

If the Canucks were to ice a replacement player team, i'd go and watch. I love hockey and i would watch it regardless, it would be raw hockey and the talent level would be pretty equal.

Seriously, I will try to keep this responese as clean as possible but its gooing to be hard. Are you serious?

The owners have to come up with 600 players somewhere around christmas next year. All european players will be tied up in april 05´. They always are. At the best NHL is gooing to put teams out there with 50% ECHL´ers. This in a extremely competetive american market which hasn´t seen hockey in 20 month. Remember that only 1/6 of the teams are located in Canada with a additional 5-6 strong hockey markets in USA. There would be at the top 1500 people in the stands in Columbus among others. Hockey is a experience when the stands are filled up and the best players is on the ice.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Ola said:
There would be at the top 1500 people in the stands in Columbus among others. Hockey is a experience when the stands are filled up and the best players is on the ice.

Of course. But obviously that wouldn't be possible with the shape the league's in. The players don't seem to notice that, and expect NBA salaries without NBA revenue. It's just not clicking for them.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
I don't agree with Bob on this. I think the effect of a prolonged lockout will not be that detrimental.

I really like the chance of the owners the longer time goes. A cancelled season is the best thing that can happen to the owners and to this game.

With they lose a little attendance and interest? Yeah. Will they make up for it and breathe a lot easier? Damn right.

If there's no sane deal to be made, no deal should be made.

I can wait as long as it takes.

Very well said. The reaction in newspapers today has been very interesting. Apart from the usual union brown-nosers (Brooks, Strachan), a lot of the articles have been saying that the owners will not back down, and the players are going to have to come to their senses and do what's right for themselves and the league. They're saying it's looking pretty inevitable that the players will have to accept the cap.

I'm sure more and more are thinking about it, and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

HckyFght*

My guess is the league could find enough replacements in no time flat! And I for one will be at every game. Plus, more and more NHLers will see the writing on the wall at last and cross the line. How does anyone here know that the league isn't all ready to go with this right now? I would be. Didn't the owner in Nashville get wacked for a quarter million bucks for even mentioning it? I think he said it was a go. Replacements will end the union. Goodenow knows this. He's just convinced the owners will crack and that they'll crumble just before a season can really be lost. I think that's in about two weeks. Goodenow is wrong. Imagine how long the line will be at Air Canada Centre when they announce tryouts for the replacement Leafs! This will be fun! :yo:

-HckyFght!

MacDaddy TLC*

JWI19 said:
Then have to figure out if they can use replacement players in Vancouver and Montreal. Best case scenario is next year.
Easy solution:

The Winnipeg Canucks :lol (or if we want to give them a chance at making some money will let them play in in Portland or Seattle) and the Houston CanAmericans.

Donnie D said:
The problem is that instead of cutting up the billion dollar pie, they are both too busy stabbing each other with the knife.
Great analogy Donnie D! :D

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
HckyFght said:
My guess is the league could find enough replacements in no time flat! And I for one will be at every game. Plus, more and more NHLers will see the writing on the wall at last and cross the line. How does anyone here know that the league isn't all ready to go with this right now? I would be. Didn't the owner in Nashville get wacked for a quarter million bucks for even mentioning it? I think he said it was a go. Replacements will end the union. Goodenow knows this. He's just convinced the owners will crack and that they'll crumble just before a season can really be lost. I think that's in about two weeks. Goodenow is wrong. Imagine how long the line will be at Air Canada Centre when they announce tryouts for the replacement Leafs! This will be fun! :yo:

-HckyFght!

Believe it was Steve Belkin, one of the new owners of the Thrashers who said that about replacement players.

Hefty price to pay for a sentence or two. Effective though.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
scaredsensfan said:
What part of 'replacements are illegal in Montreal and Vancouver' don't you understand?
Do you have a link or something that explains this? I've seen this posted here before, but I havent seen it explained by a reliable source how replacement workers are illegal if the PA isnt even a union.

Lanny MacDonald*

scaredsensfan said:
What part of 'replacements are illegal in Montreal and Vancouver' don't you understand?

You seem to have some expertise on labor law, so why not share with us why the idea of replacement players would be illegal in Quebec and British Columbia? After doing that, maybe you can shed some light on the rumor which has the Canucks already having plans to play in Seattle should replacement players being used and there being a legal challenge. I'm really curious to find out more about these two very interesting situations and would like a law experts opinion. I can only speak to the United States system and what I have read about it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
You seem to have some expertise on labor law, so why not share with us why the idea of replacement players would be illegal in Quebec and British Columbia? After doing that, maybe you can shed some light on the rumor which has the Canucks already having plans to play in Seattle should replacement players being used and there being a legal challenge. I'm really curious to find out more about these two very interesting situations and would like a law experts opinion. I can only speak to the United States system and what I have read about it.

That will be real bad. The Canucks play in Seattle with replacement players only? That's like flushing money down the toilet.

Lanny MacDonald*

go kim johnsson said:
That will be real bad. The Canucks play in Seattle with replacement players only? That's like flushing money down the toilet.

That's what I thought too.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
scaredsensfan said:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/hockey/9971708.htm
Also, there are questions about whether the provinces recognize the NHLPA as a certified union, like the UAW or the Teamsters, which are protected from replacement workers taking their jobs.

"In Quebec, hockey players are not covered by the labor code," said Michele Poitras, spokeswoman for the Quebec Ministry of Labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad