Good Article about the health of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Thanks for the heads up leafs4thecup.
It's quite a good article by Damian Cox. Puts things in perspective.

degroat*

Kickabrat said:
Thanks for the heads up leafs4thecup.
It's quite a good article by Damian Cox. Puts things in perspective.

Funny... I was thinking it takes things out of perspective. Obviously the lockout will have a larger effect on Canada, but the author paints a pretty innaccurate picture about hockey in the United States.

There are fewer hockey fans here, there's no doubt about that. But, the lockout will have the same effect on every hockey fan regardless of nationality. Just like a Canadian, I don't get to go watch camp today. Just like a Canadian, I don't get to go to preseason games. Just like a Canadian, I've got season tickets that don't get me any hockey games.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
"The NFL isn't designed specifically for the Green Bay Packers to thrive, but it serves the interests of everyone associated with that industry that the Packers do thrive."

I think that's an important point. One that I believe is also applicable to the NHL with respect to its smaller market teams in areas with good fan bases, and one that I hope both sides think about when they get back to the table.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
ceber said:
"The NFL isn't designed specifically for the Green Bay Packers to thrive, but it serves the interests of everyone associated with that industry that the Packers do thrive."

I think that's an important point. One that I believe is also applicable to the NHL with respect to its smaller market teams in areas with good fan bases, and one that I hope both sides think about when they get back to the table.
The Edmonton Oilers are the Green Bay Packers of the NHL.

It's in the interest of hockey to keep the franchise with a history of having one of the great dynasties.

Unlike Anaheim, Florida, Carolina, Buffalo, and even one-time winner Calgary.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Stich said:
Funny... I was thinking it takes things out of perspective. Obviously the lockout will have a larger effect on Canada, but the author paints a pretty innaccurate picture about hockey in the United States.

There are fewer hockey fans here, there's no doubt about that. But, the lockout will have the same effect on every hockey fan regardless of nationality. Just like a Canadian, I don't get to go watch camp today. Just like a Canadian, I don't get to go to preseason games. Just like a Canadian, I've got season tickets that don't get me any hockey games.
True that it will have the same impact on hockey fans everywhere, but Damian Cox points out that while there are pockets of rabid fans in the U.S., most U.S. hockey fans are still casual fans, while in Canada most hockey fans live & breathe hockey. The point he is making is that while the U.S. casual fan will turn to football, or poker, or pool, Canadian fans will turn to hockey, (minor league, OSHL, whatever is out there). The quote I like the best is:

"But mostly the game is strong where it was 40 years ago, and that hasn't changed as the league has grown, changed and altered itself into something old-timers barely recognize."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->