News Article: Gonchar focused on playoffs, not trade deadline

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I don't think a 1st would get him. Would need to be an overpayment.

Murray would want immediate help and a 1st likely wont be an impact player for what, 4 year or so? I don't think GMs put as much stock in those picks as we do here on the HFboards.

The trade would likely be a former first round pick, a young player in the 20-21 year old range that is ready to step in and make a contribution.

Having said that, they aren't going to trade Gonchar, they are going to try to make a run in the playoffs.

I very much agreed with Galley's take this afternoon. He figured that the Sens shouldn't trade anyone or even add anyone at the deadline. His rationale is that in his words, "you'll tip over the applecart in the dressing room". He figures that's why the number of deals at the deadline is dying down, organizations realize that any player change can disrupt the team chemistry that they've spent all year cultivating.

Makes sense to me, stand pat and make your best run, let the chips fall where they may.

source

Jul 13, 2008
The trade would likely be a former first round pick, a young player in the 20-21 year old range that is ready to step in and make a contribution.

Having said that, they aren't going to trade Gonchar, they are going to try to make a run in the playoffs.

I very much agreed with Galley's take this afternoon. He figured that the Sens shouldn't trade anyone or even add anyone at the deadline. His rationale is that in his words, "you'll tip over the applecart in the dressing room". He figures that's why the number of deals at the deadline is dying down, organizations realize that any player change can disrupt the team chemistry that they've spent all year cultivating.

Makes sense to me, stand pat and make your best run, let the chips fall where they may.

How do you reconcile the applecart analogy with the fact that we've had different guys coming up and down all year yet have had consistent success?

I don't think one key piece would necessarily disrupt the dressing room. These guys are professional teammates. I think they can handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->