News Article: Gonchar focused on playoffs, not trade deadline

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Why are people so ****ing obsessed with us being sellers at the deadline? Haven't we proven enough that we can play without Spezza/Karlsson/etc.?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Bishop will allow us an opportunity to be a buyer if opportunity arises. Perhaps a veteran dman or winger if we're in the hunt.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It would take HUGE ****ing stones for Murray to trade Gonchar at this point. It would be going "all in" with a poor hand. We're not a lock for the playoffs by any stretch and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Trading a top-pairing (for the sens anyway) defender for what would be scraps is a stupid move.

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
NHL.com article

Who comes up with this stuff? There is no chance we trade Gonch if we are in playoff contention come the deadline.

Do you really need to ask that question? Ottawa's own Eklund (although more accurate): Bruce Garrioch.He has been after Gonchar all year.

I thought Gonchar has shut him up but alas, it was only for a short time.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
He's averaged around 27 minutes of TOI in the last 5 games. He is way to important to this team to even think about shipping out at the deadline.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
You only trade him at the deadline if we're out of a playoff spot. With the injuries to Karlsson and Cowen there's no way we trade him now unless we get a defenceman coming back, but it is unlikely.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Gonchar is one of the best defensemen this franchise has ever had.

Behind only Karlsson and Chara. An argument can be made for Redden in his prime I guess. Am I missing someone?

My one main knock against Gonchar is when the team is struggling, he tends to go down with the ship instead of remaining steady (see 2010-11). Also, never pair Gonchar with Phillips... ever. He isn't really the best PP QB anymore, but he is smart enough to make things happen occasionally.

He was a rock in the playoffs last year, should be the same this year for us or whoever.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Which team would like ot add Gonchar and at what price? What's his current value?

A high 1st round pick to a contending team? A prospect to a team desperate to make the playoffs?

Ronoceros

Feb 29, 2012
Kingston
It's hilarious. The media was picking the Sens to not make the playoffs this season, before it even began. It's seems they are just trying to continue with that narrative with the Gonchar/Alfie trade speculation.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
It's hilarious. The media was picking the Sens to not make the playoffs this season, before it even began. It's seems they are just trying to continue with that narrative with the Gonchar/Alfie trade speculation.

LOL. I had similar thoughts. Until the Sens playoff spot is completely locked up, or the trade deadline passes, they aren't letting go of that bone.

ozgoode

Mar 16, 2013
Here and There

I guess they are the type of people who, like many of our politicians, believe that if you say something often enough and loud enough it actually becomes true.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

Hehe, not to defend the media, because most of the time there is a lot of bias for hockey, but there were analysts who were mainly saying Ottawa would finish 6-10th area, with most saying in at 7/8th. There were a couple that said out, but from what I saw it was in :) Last year however, was a whole different story :laugh:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If we are in the playoffs, no chance Gonch gets deals unless it's for a 1st rounder which likely isn't going to happen.

Mawlrat

Sep 27, 2011
I did not get the sense that most media said we would not make the playoffs before the season already started. Most predictions I saw were within a reasonable 6-9th spot. That position in the East makes sense.

When Karlsson went down was when all the hype of Alfie-and-Gonchar-have-to-be-traded-since-Ottawa-is-clearly-not-making-it-to-the-playoffs rumours came about. To be honest I thought those rumours were fair in the begining, but as the games started to go on I think it was pretty clear the work ethic of this team was top notch. The rumours no longer belong.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I don't think a 1st would get him. Would need to be an overpayment.

Murray would want immediate help and a 1st likely wont be an impact player for what, 4 year or so? I don't think GMs put as much stock in those picks as we do here on the HFboards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->