Gomez vs Kessel trade - Which one was worse?

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Because we lost McD for nothing. They at least got a return... And while I didn't like the trade for Toronto I can at least sort of see why Burke did it. He got a 21 year old player who had some talent. He was at least looking towards the future.

I still have no idea why we went after Gomez nor why we paid a premium for him.... didn't make any sense at all.

Gomez may have helped get us Galchenyuk but getting him and his buddies prevented us from rebuilding far sooner.

I thought he'd be a 40 goal man too. Man was I ever wrong on that guy...

He has the skilled Paciorretty had now but we met snow white a bit too often in mtl. Happy for him now he seems to be doing just fine.

Put Mcdonagh on the mtl defense instead of Bouillon and we simply have the best d in the league while having only one player above 30 that would be scary.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
He had the skilled Paciorretty had now but he met snow white a bit too often in mtl. Happy for him now he seems to be doing just fine.

Put Mcdonagh on the mtl defense instead of Bouillon and we simply have the best d in the league while having only one player above 30 that would be scary.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Leafs ended up giving a higher quality of assets. As good as MCD, and higgins are, Seguin is the better player, and Hamilton has the potential to be at least on par with the aforementioned players.

But when you look at the player performance of the guys that the leafs/habs got back, its not even close. Kessel wins in a dramatic landslide...

So its really all about how you would like to look at it. I say the habs made the worst deal because even though the assets given up are not quite as much as toronto, it is outweighed thoroughly by the fact that kessel outperformed gomez by a country mile.

Leafs can actually trade kessel today and get something back. Gomez was already so poor that he was far removed from being a tradeable asset.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Because we lost McD for nothing. They at least got a return... And while I didn't like the trade for Toronto I can at least sort of see why Burke did it. He got a 21 year old player who had some talent. He was at least looking towards the future.

I still have no idea why we went after Gomez nor why we paid a premium for him.... didn't make any sense at all.

Gomez may have helped get us Galchenyuk but getting him and his buddies prevented us from rebuilding far sooner.

I thought he'd be a 40 goal man too. Man was I ever wrong on that guy...

It's easy to pretend that Gomez was "nothing", but that's not at all true. His last two seasons were crap, but he (allegedly) helped with the Gio (and please don't go into a Gionta bash, save that for the other nearsighted thread) situation. True, we have nothing to show for it now, except room to make moves (which to me is something, just like the Cole-Ryder deal), but that trade didn't make them a contender and it added some pretty frigging important parts to Boston. Seguin was money for them in the playoffs at key times. They just had Kessel score in what were meaningless miserable seasons for them -- not sure it felt better than our team WITH Gomez.

But anyway, everyone remembers the end of Gomez and not that first year and a bit of the second. Just want to point out that I think we are doing great in the rebuild, that we haven't been set back by Gomez apart from the obvious loss of McDO, but the "earlier" argument has to be set against what happened when Gomez got here:

We went to the ECF. Gomez was not useless there, believe it or not. I, for one, will always remember that run and I've been around for 2 Cups. So let's say he did help us get Galchenyuk (which as I said, is kind of a half-kidding argument that I was making), we are in an awesome position for the future. Oh and, what? We're first in the East THIS season so far! I'm liking how things have played out.

Again, trades have to be looked at from a broad point of view and I reiterate that Tor made a worse trade than we did. As things stand today, I bet they'd like to take it back (though they'll deny it), while we are ok with how things are now and going forward. How does burke not know how not to trade to a divisional rival? It's one thing if it's a vet or a player for player but crisse, Kessel does not equal Seguin and Hamilton. Ewww, I feel gross complimenting Bruins. Shower time!

Edit (post shower, a very cold one): Just realized that you can argue that (since we're talking returns along the domino effect) that the ECF run got us Eller.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

DumFries

Jun 18, 2009
Shawinigan
If Gionta and Cammy came here because of Gomez (and let's face it, it was the cash that got them here) then that's all the more reason why it was a fail for us. It kept us mediocre and kept us from rebuilding. Plus we're still stuck with Gionta.

Cammy came here clearly because of the money. At 6 M cap hit for the five years, I would take it and run. Gomez may have influenced Gionta.

I must admit though that was a pretty exciting time to be a Habs fan. It was the craziest free agency in Habs history and the team did reach the Conference Final. Lots of hopes!

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
You can go even further. Price took a huge step maturity wise because of those playoffs.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2010/5/27/1490141/a-lesson-in-humility-helped-in-the

How much did that run help Subban's development?

Edit: How much did Gomez help Pacioretty? Patches was struggling in the NHL up until he got put on Gomez's line

Bon point, Jacques!

Edit: I will concede that Kessel may have had similar effects on the leafs insofar as them getting players like Kadri (ironically due to sucking, not cuz he mentored anybody) and whatever, but I still think we come out on top. And they know it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Michael Camellari and Gionta agreed to sign with habs as a free agent right after Goimez trade was finalised, and they moved mainly because Gomez was coming to habs; and Camellari was later traded for 2nd round pick, Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland and we still have Gionta who can contribute or be traded away for more assets.

So, why no one remember the reason why this two other free agents signed that off season in Montreal?

It's sometimes good to look at the Big picture and this two acquisitions were very important for habs that off season.

So guys stop *****ing about losing Mcdo because we did get a better return if you know where to look.

Absolute nonsense.

Gionta openly admitted while he liked an opportunity to reunite with Gomez, he did not choose to sign because of him. He was impressed by the organization and completely baffled when Montreal made such a push. Basically, he felt humbled and once management sold him on the experience, he decided to come aboard.

Cammalleri spoke on RDS citing Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver were his three choices, with a preference toward eastern Canada. He chose Montreal because Toronto is where he spends his off season and he was afraid the constant media attention would be too much of a burden.

Gomez factored in on neither of their decisions.

Kessel is also being severely underrated. He is a better player than Seguin right now and likely will remain one for another few seasons. I love Seguin's game but the kid still has growing pains to work out, whereas Kessel is among the best snipers in the league. If the Leafs had good goaltending, they could get dragged into the playoffs by the merits of said goaltending and Phil Kessel. He may not necessarily be the typical "build around" player but Kessel is an elite scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->