Gomez vs Kessel trade - Which one was worse?

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Hi guys,

I was checking out Kessel's stats this season after reading all the rage on the leafs boards about him, turns out he only has 3 goals! :amazed:

So I had this discussion later with a friend about which trade was worse between the Gomez one and the Kessel trade (in hindsight of course). I'm of the opinion that the Gomez trade was worse, given how much he was making, but the leafs lost Seguin as well as another first rounder...

What do you think?

LaTenderness*

Gomez because we got nothing in return...... but in the long run Leafs will be the bigger losers. (As per usual)

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
The Leafs gave up the bigger return no doubt, but Kessel is only 25. He's got time to turn it around. Gomez had nowhere to go but down. Kessel has also provided more offence than Gomez could even wish for.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Gomez quite handily IMO. Phil Kessel scored 82 points last year and would be on pace for about 65 or so this season if it wasn't shortened. He is still young with room to grow and mature as a player. Sure losing out on Seguin, Hamilton and Knight is bad, but the key is Montreal didn't get a young, PPG winger back in their trade.

They traded a heart and soul leader on the team who had just come off a down, injury filled season, but one who had posted 3 straight 20+ goal seasons. Thrown in McDonagh who has turned out to be a top 4 guy with upside and you have the makings of a disaster. Which is exactly how it turned out when Gomez struggled.

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Gomez, and it's not even close. We gave up a fantastic prospect in McDonaugh and a decent player in Higgins, AND got a player back who wasn't good for us and was a huge cap burden.

They did give up a lot, but don't let his three goals so far fool you, he's still a solid player at least.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Kessel trade is by far the worst of the two. Leafs gave up Seguin, Hamilton, and Knight for Kessel. Losing McDonagh was horrible but it doesn't compare to what the Leafs gave up.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Gomez was a worse trade. All elements were known (at least to scouts)...

Regarding Kessel, if the leafs has better goaltending (the monster), Ruins never get Seguin...Nor Hamilton.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Gomez AINEC.

When Kessel was traded very few people were expecting the Leafs to finish so low which allowed Boston to draft Seguin.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
If this poll is made in Leafs board, then the result would be 99%-1%. If it's made in General board, then it's 90%-10%.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Seriously the Gomez trade is a million times worse.

Kessel is a good but very streaky player. He could score 12 in the next 12.

He's not the type of player I'd build a franchise around but he's still a guy any team could use. Seguin and Hamilton are two great pieces but so is McDonagh.

persh said:
When Kessel was traded very few people were expecting the Leafs to finish so low which allowed Boston to draft Seguin.

This is not a great argument imho, when you trade a first rounder you take into account the strenght of your team to assess its value. Burke had a terrible team and he traded the pick away, he takes responsability for it.

Nobody expected Gomez to be this terrible besides. The most pessimistic at least hoped he'd give us 50pts a year with some consistancy, not that he'd stop after 2 years.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Vessel trade is worse.

They got Morgan reilley out of it, we got Alex galchenyuk.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Honestly, why are trying to justify our poor trade like this? At end of the day, they still got a good player, we got nothing. They gave 2 good young players for 1, we gave 1 for 0 and cap problems.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Toronto gave a lot but at least they got a young 35 goals scorer in return. We got a guy who gave us an average of 35 pts in his 3 seasons here and he's out of the team now.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
so we lost a future possible first pairing guy for a guy who, although he was ultimately useless, really helped us get to the ECF that one year.

the leafs lost a future top pairing guy, a future first line center and a possible second line guy.

i know kessel contributed but even with him, you still in lottery range (of which you gave the picks away oh my), making his contributions beyond useless

the gomez trade didn't set us back one bit. the kessel trade on the other hand?

for me it's kessel and it's not even close to being even close

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
so we lost a future possible first pairing guy for a guy who, although he was ultimately useless, really helped us get to the ECF that one year.

the leafs lost a future top pairing guy, a future first line center and a possible second line guy.

i know kessel contributed but even with him, you still in lottery range (of which you gave the picks away oh my), making his contributions beyond useless

the gomez trade didn't set us back one bit. the kessel trade on the other hand?

for me it's kessel and it's not even close to being even close

So who is it? Knight is a possible 2nd line guy but we didn't give up Higgins or anything? Habs lost more than leafs quite easily.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Btw, what makes our deal 100 times worse is we knew what we were giving up and did it. Leaf management prob felt it would be two top 15 picks not seguin and Hamilton. They prob wouldn't have done if had they known but we willing ****ed ourselves knowing the entire specs if the deal.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
So who is it? Knight is a possible 2nd line guy but we didn't give up Higgins or anything? Habs lost more than leafs quite easily.

lost more? how did we lose a first line center and a top d-man?

im not saying it was a good trade though... just saying it was... less worst :help:

Btw, what makes our deal 100 times worse is we knew what we were giving up and did it. Leaf management prob felt it would be two top 15 picks not seguin and Hamilton. They prob wouldn't have done if had they known but we willing ****ed ourselves knowing the entire specs if the deal.

good point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad