Goligoski vs Brian Lee

Transported Upstater

I'd take Brian Lee without thinking twice.

Seriously, this guy is starting to get underrated here.

Danny30

Jun 6, 2006
Anybody that commented seen them play other than WJC? I would take Goli in a heart beat.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Lee got exposure due to draft status and WJCs, but it doesn't mean he's a better prospect.

Although a year older, the numbers say Goligoski is the better player. Gol had about 50% more points than Lee. Lee was 7th in scoring for UND...while Goligoski was 3rd for MN. Goligoski at #3 on the team is pretty good also keeping in mind that the Gophers were the #1 scoring team in the nation and 3rd best defensive team in the WCHA (both better than UND). Also, Goligoski was 2nd for D's in the conference behind Hobey winner Matt Carle for scoring, and therefore has about as good as chance as any at being the top D in the WCHA. Goligoski just had some excellent offensive skills mentoring from Chris Harrington...which IMO UND couldn't match. In Lee's freshman year, he did very well...let's see if he can catch Goligoski.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Please. You're using numbers to say that Goligoski is better than Lee!?

This isn't even close. I'll take Lee without even thinking. I'm not sold on Goligoski and probably never will be.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
After watching Lee at UND when televised, I wouldnt even think twice about taking him. This guy has tremendous hockey sense. And his patience reminds me of Al MacInnis.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Goligoski has some nice offensive ability but is a bit undersized. He could be another Liles with some seasoning. Lee is every bit as talented as Goligoski with the puck, yet has a much more projectible NHL frame and has ice water in his veins. IMO, his upside is much greater.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Lee is quite easily the most underrated in that 2005 draft. Nobody even thinks of taking him in the top 10, and a lot even leave him out of the 1st round. Once he gets a shot at the big leagues, whether it be the AHL or NHL, he'll be turning a lot of heads.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Please. You're using numbers to say that Goligoski is better than Lee!?

Goligoski's better numbers and watching...oh say...about 40 games that they played in. And what about you?

Actually I think Lee has a great chance to catch him...but isn't there yet.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Goligoski's better numbers and watching...oh say...about 40 games that they played in. And what about you?

Actually I think Lee has a great chance to catch him...but isn't there yet.

I watched nearly every game, or at least parts of the games (IE one or two periods) of both Minny and NoDak last year.

I follow college hockey extremely, extremely closely.

I'd take Lee NOW AND in the future. Easily. It's not even close. Lee's offensive game might be a bit below Goligoski's, but Lee's defensive game and hockey intelligence FAR FAR surpass anything Goligoski has right now.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I watched nearly every game, or at least parts of the games (IE one or two periods) of both Minny and NoDak last year.

I follow college hockey extremely, extremely closely.

I'd take Lee NOW AND in the future. Easily. It's not even close. Lee's offensive game might be a bit below Goligoski's, but Lee's defensive game and hockey intelligence FAR FAR surpass anything Goligoski has right now.

While I cant completely agree with the statement that "Its not even close" I absolutley agree with the bolded part.
AG has some severe defensive issues that need to be addressed. As far as his skating, offensive awareness, and power play abilities go, he is one of the better guys in the NCAA (and I too, follow college hockey BIG time), but he would get eaten alive in the pro game defensivley as of right now.

One other thing that should be noted is that Lee wasnt outscored all that badly by AG in thier respective years. He actually has more points (but played more games). Thier PPG average is comparable (freshman years) in Lee getting around .581 ppg, and AG hitting.625 ppg.
All that with AG getting a bit more PP time than Lee.
Still, Goski is the better offensive/power play guy, but I'd take Lee on my team now, and in the future without question.

Last edited:

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Lee projects better. But it is tough to argue with what Goli has allready done. Many forget that the Goligoski was going to spend his freshman year in the USHL if Keith BAllard had not left for the pros. It was no big secret that he would need some adjustment time. So instead he played his freshman year. Picked up the game very quickly. Lee gets another solid guy in Chourney to pair with. Both young but talented. Alex gets RJ Anderson. No offense to RJ as i like him and he got better. But that says a lot to pair Alex with a freshman. Think the tDon felt very good about letting a freshman play with the teams best d man to take pressure of of him. And both enjoyed success.

Goligoski is a bit small. But he is getting that mean streak. Is in good position. Was about a point ler game last year.

Lee is bigger and has simular smarts. But he has yet to put it alltogether totally. Big d men start a bit slower. And he is a guy that needs to take it in and process it before he can adjust.

So i am not going to compare Lee and Goli straight up last year. In their freshman years Alex had 5g and 15a in 32 games. Lee had 3g and 22a in 43 games.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Let me ask this:

What is Goligoski's potential and which current/former NHLer does his play remind you of?

What is Lee's potential and which current/former NHLer does his play remind you of?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Let me ask this:

What is Goligoski's potential and which current/former NHLer does his play remind you of?

What is Lee's potential and which current/former NHLer does his play remind you of?
Goligoski reminds me alot of Brian Rafalski. Right down to the wrister on the PP and way he moves the puck. Plus he an undersized defenseman that's a great all around skater. Goli has his flaws, like defensive reads and problems with bigger players, but I really think that they're correctable. I would feel alot better if he was at Harvard and Ted Donato was molding him but every player has their own question marks. He seems like the type of kid that'll work on his flaws so I think that once turning pro his two way game will blossem. Plus I really feel that Minny played some sloppy hockey last year and that would make any D-man look bad.

Lee kind of reminds me of Kenny Jonsson. He has good size but isn't overly physical. He uses his smarts to be effective in every zone and is a very mobile skater. IMO he'll be a very good defenseman but not elite. The type thats always under-rated by the rest of the league but his fans and team will love him because you have to watch him play to see how good he is.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Let me ask this:

Dont know much about the other kid but Ive seen Lee compared to Leetch...actually, in his HF profile i believe...

--------------------------------------------------

Moorhead High School Coach Dave Morinville told Hockey’s Future that Lee is very coachable and compares Lee to another American defenseman.

"He is an extremely great leader in a quiet way," said Morinville. "He's a guy I always compare to Brian Leetch, as he's solid defensively and he's guy that can bring you some offense without giving up chances." Morinville added that Lee is a dedicated student to the game, and indicated that Lee put an emphasis on plyometric and sprint work in the off-season, recognizing that first step quickness will play a huge role at the next level. Lee did not see much ice time with the U-20 team, but his resume should push him into the first round.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
I'd take Lee NOW AND in the future. Easily. It's not even close.

I made the simple statement...based on numbers Goligoski is currently a better player (even if there's a good chance Lee could pass him up) and you jump down my throat. Goligoski had about 50% more points...supposedly it doesn't mean anything. As with me, maybe these guys just don't watch the game very, very closely either:

Goligoski - 2006 USCHO All American Honorable Mention...2005 USCHO All Rookie
Lee - Not an All American...he must be All Rookie? No sir

Goligoski - 2006 INCH All American 3rd team...2005 INCH All Rookie
Lee - Not All American...and All Rookie? sorry

Goligoski - 2006 All WCHA 2nd team
Lee - Not All WCHA

Show any hard evidence that Brian Lee is 'easily' a better player today...'and its not even close'...not 'but he's got such a great hockey sense'

Redden Punches Faces*

Goligoski is a ridiculous name. I take Lee hands down.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Lee got exposure due to draft status and WJCs, but it doesn't mean he's a better prospect.
Although a year older, the numbers say Goligoski is the better player. Gol had about 50% more points than Lee. Lee was 7th in scoring for UND...while Goligoski was 3rd for MN. Goligoski at #3 on the team is pretty good also keeping in mind that the Gophers were the #1 scoring team in the nation and 3rd best defensive team in the WCHA (both better than UND). Also, Goligoski was 2nd for D's in the conference behind Hobey winner Matt Carle for scoring, and therefore has about as good as chance as any at being the top D in the WCHA. Goligoski just had some excellent offensive skills mentoring from Chris Harrington...which IMO UND couldn't match. In Lee's freshman year, he did very well...let's see if he can catch Goligoski.

Lee IS a better prospect.

First of all, Lee is roughly 2 years younger than Goligoski (1yr, 8mo).

If you compare them at the same age it really isn't close.

You want to talk about stats.....an 18 year old Goligoski put up a lousy 2 points in 10 games in the USHL, while Lee had a great rookie year in college. Likewise, at 19, Goligoski put up 20 points for Minny. I can guarantee you that Lee will EASILY surpase that this year; its not even in question.

When Lee is Goligoski's (current) age, he, most likely, will have gone pro already.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Lee IS a better prospect.

First of all, Lee is roughly 2 years younger than Goligoski (1yr, 8mo).

If you compare them at the same age it really isn't close.

You want to talk about stats.....an 18 year old Goligoski put up a lousy 2 points in 10 games in the USHL, while Lee had a great rookie year in college. Likewise, at 19, Goligoski put up 20 points for Minny. I can guarantee you that Lee will EASILY surpase that this year; its not even in question.

When Lee is Goligoski's (current) age, he, most likely, will have gone pro already.

Ding ding ding ding ding, we have a winner.

/endthread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad