OT: Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Here were my little lists that I was putting together when my picks were coming near.

1st section while waiting in Benny who took Rahm, I took Rory and Reed
2nd section when I woke up and there were still 3 picks to go before I picked. As you can see, I bypassed my own #3 to pick my #4....watch it be like the Flyers passing on Bjorkstrand to take Goulbourne.

Oh...and the 3rd section was out Tims picks for goals when the wife picked Jake to score last game. I didn't know Zegras had been demoted...lol.

image.jpeg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If you have never played Mill River you really should work it in some year . For a lot of people...it is a toss up between it and Crowbush as their favorite . It is about 1 hour West of Anderson's Creek . The resort has been all revamped with the new owner ....it is really NICE . Have fun...
We have never played there. We never seem to do the West side of the island for whatever reason. I never book...I just go where they want...lol.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I really wanted Hovland to get back to me for my second pick, despite him attending one of the biggest butthole schools on Earth.
I knew where I was, I wasn't gonna get a top-end guy, so I tried to get two guys that gave me good chances, that play a little differently. I probably took fleetwood a bit early, but I really like the guy.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I really wanted Hovland to get back to me for my second pick, despite him attending one of the biggest butthole schools on Earth.
I'm a big Hovland guy. The fact that he basically taught himself via youtube videos is amazing.

I really wanted Scheffler to fall to my 3rd pick but that was wishful thinking.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'm a big Hovland guy. The fact that he basically taught himself via youtube videos is amazing.

I really wanted Scheffler to fall to my 3rd pick but that was wishful thinking.
Never knew that about him.

The content on youtube is exceptional, same with instagram. You can basically take most of these guys full online courses for free, if you have an idea of what you are doing.

I went from a 20+handicap 18 months ago, to my last round (two weeks ago) where I finished -1 for 9 holes. I used youtube videos to team me how to swing, chip, putt etc.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Never knew that about him.

The content on youtube is exceptional, same with instagram. You can basically take most of these guys full online courses for free, if you have an idea of what you are doing.

I went from a 20+handicap 18 months ago, to my last round (two weeks ago) where I finished -1 for 9 holes. I used youtube videos to team me how to swing, chip, putt etc.
Yep, they really are great nowadays. The caveat being what you already mentioned: having some semblance of an idea of what you are doing.

I envy how much time you've seemingly had to play golf the past 18 months. :laugh:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yep, they really are great nowadays. The caveat being what you already mentioned: having some semblance of an idea of what you are doing.

I envy how much time you've seemingly had to play golf the past 18 months. :laugh:
Honestly, that was round of my life. I'm more of a 10-13 handicap, somewhere in there.

I didn't play a lot, but I practiced a hell of a lot. I would go to the range 1-2 a week, and go to a course nearby to work on chipping and putting. In the summer, I would put my son down for bed at 7, and head directly to the range or the putting green.

Also, not to toot my own horn, but I'm a very athletic person, and I can hit the ball a long way.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Honestly, that was round of my life. I'm more of a 10-13 handicap, somewhere in there.

I didn't play a lot, but I practiced a hell of a lot. I would go to the range 1-2 a week, and go to a course nearby to work on chipping and putting. In the summer, I would put my son down for bed at 7, and head directly to the range or the putting green.

Also, not to toot my own horn, but I'm a very athletic person, and I can hit the ball a long way.
You are way ahead of most of the hackers out there in the fact that you are willing to work on your short game. That's where you gain the most strokes as a high handicapper.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It's also the cheapest way to get good. It doesn't cost anything to go to a course and practice putting and chipping. That was a huge factor.
That is the biggest secret, honestly.

It's a lot more fun to be on a course, but you can hit thousands of short game shots at a practice facility in the same span you could play 3 rounds.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You are way ahead of most of the hackers out there in the fact that you are willing to work on your short game. That's where you gain the most strokes as a high handicapper.

Not necessarily. Fairway woods/irons are responsible for as many lost strokes as anything, especially for people who don't get to play very often. This has been helped a shit ton by the extremely forgiving irons you can buy now, but it's still a huge problem.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Not necessarily. Fairway woods/irons are responsible for as many lost strokes as anything, especially for people who don't get to play very often. This has been helped a shit ton by the extremely forgiving irons you can buy now, but it's still a huge problem.
Yeah I certainly agree with that too, but it's those sprayed iron/wood shots that ultimately leave those players with the green-side chips and pitches or long putts. The fact that very few high-handicap golfers practice that part of the game is a travesty.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah I certainly agree with that too, but it's those sprayed iron/wood shots that ultimately leave those players with the green-side chips and pitches or long putts. The fact that very few high-handicap golfers practice that part of the game is a travesty.
I think when you're over an average of ~95, there's no real consistent part of your game, so you're gonna gain strokes wherever you practice.

With me, I decided to start working on my iron swing, as I couldn't hit an approach shot to him my life, and it initially lowered my scores, maybe by 4-5 strokes per round. Then, I started working on short game, and that lowered my strokes a lot. However, I don't know if starting with the short game would have lowered my shots as much until my irons did, because it still would have taken me 4 shots to get near the green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->