Golf Mount Rushmore

Who are the four on your golf Mount Rushmore? Please choose four.

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan, Ballesteros

Jack's the greatest major champion ever. Obvious is obvious. Tiger historically is #2, and its not close. Could theoretically become #1. I think most are going to agree about those two being in the top four.

Hogan's principles for the Golf Swing are fundamental to golfing history. He was golf's original great ball-striker. Him and his wife got into an accident with a bus in February of 1949, yet survived. He threw himself in front of her. His action to protect his wife ended up paying off for both of them. Had he not done so, he would've died as the drivers seat was destroyed. He returned to golf nine months later. He also lost over two years of golf in his prime due to World War II.

Hogan was the closest anyone has ever been to completing the single season grand slam. His statistical accomplishments stack up to anyone other than Tiger and Jack. I think there's a better argument that he's in the top two than he's not in the top four. Hogan is regarded as a very bland character, but that shouldn't take way from what he accomplished.

I think Seve is fourth. I can understand an argument for a number of other players here, but I think his impact on the sport goes beyond statistical accomplishments. His scrambling was simply legendary, and something the game has never seen. He is potentially the best matchplay golfer ever. He is the best Ryder Cup player ever, and he completely revitalized the competition to its current form.

His statistical accomplishments aren't shabby either. He has 50 European Tour wins. Thats the most ever. He didn't play much on the PGA Tour, but that was because golf was different at that time than it is now. Five majors, all five of them coming in the two "big" majors. He was also one of the game's biggest characters, and he was the original face of European golf. His play gave rise to Europe's current stars. His ability to become a "star" at a time where almost all the best golfers were American gets overlooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad