Golden Knights William Karlsson Receives Lady Byng Nod

Golden Knights William Karlsson is a Lady Byng Trophy Nominee for 2018.

image.jpg

Golden Knights William Karlsson Receives Lady Byng Nod

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I would prefer that he were nominated for the Selke award (best defensive forward).

But the Lady Byng award (most gentlemanly conduct)? I would recommend that he punches a referee and have his nomination withdrawn.

Reactions: Chimp

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's among the most productive skaters who have few penalties.

Vlasic might have been considered a nominee as he had exactly two minor penalties (both for puck over glass), but he has a few misconducts (probably for talking back to officials at the end of a game).

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I would prefer that he were nominated for the Selke award (best defensive forward).

But the Lady Byng award (most gentlemanly conduct)? I would recommend that he punches a referee and have his nomination withdrawn.
Yrs, this is the consolation. Nomination after being snubbed for Selke.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think I would much rather Wild Bill have a real chance of actually winning the Lady Byng instead of finishing third to Kopitar and Bergeron in the Selke.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Not his time yet tbh. Perception-wise he's still that kid who got overlooked and exposed in the draft, and is still perceived as playing over his head by many. So yeah it's good to see him nominated for an award he has a good shot to win.

And IMO he's going to be in the running for the big hardware next year, as long as they keep the crew together in an environment that suits him so well.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Not his time yet tbh. Perception-wise he's still that kid who got overlooked and exposed in the draft, and is still perceived as playing over his head by many. So yeah it's good to see him nominated for an award he has a good shot to win.

And IMO he's going to be in the running for the big hardware next year, as long as they keep the crew together in an environment that suits him so well.
I agree with everything you say, while at the same time arguing that it shouldn't be so. The Selke is an annual performance award, not a lifetime achievement award, and those who nominate and vote for these players are degrading their awards by making them popularity contests instead of performance awards.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

+49 (1st). Plays on the PK. Third in goals. Not a Selke candidate.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
I agree with everything you say, while at the same time arguing that it shouldn't be so. The Selke is an annual performance award, not a lifetime achievement award, and those who nominate and vote for these players are degrading their awards by making them popularity contests instead of performance awards.

Yeah, it also comes down to what narrative is prevalent at the moment, and as they're sports writers, that's not surprising. Saw someone mentioning that votes generally correlate to how much hype a player gets in the media in the last month of the season, if it's a close race. Bergeron is just subscribing his own award. Not saying he isn't deserving, in fact, if he is the best year after year, isn't it better than others getting it for the sake of 'being due'?
By the way, nominating and voting is the same thing. There's just a vote. They tally up the scores and we get to know the top three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->