Rumor: Golden Knights reportedly refused to deal Cody Glass in order to obtain Erik Karlsson from Senators

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Only a GM who would want to take a BIG risk acquiring him this season. My guess, if it comes to pass, is it might end up being something like the Kane deal with conditional picks and a prospect or so, etc.

First, in 2019 pre trade deadline, would have to be a team needing upgrade on blueline and willing/able to "go for it" this season.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Only a GM who would want to take a BIG risk acquiring him this season. My guess, if it comes to pass, is it might end up being something like the Kane deal with conditional picks and a prospect or so, etc.

First, in 2019 pre trade deadline, would have to be a team needing upgrade on blueline and willing/able to "go for it" this season.

Which sounds exactly like us lol.

Reactions: Aurinko

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No way in hell that he's coming here as a rental.
Agree. I'm afraid of what it will cost to get him here and what it will cost to keep him here, but if it's going to happen I suppose I'm 100% in.

I was an EK skeptic from day 1, and I remain an EK skeptic, but I'm also not so foolish to think that making it to the SCF last year means we're juiced into this year. If that's what the fellas on top think we need to make it to the finals and win this time, let's go.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Agree. I'm afraid of what it will cost to get him here and what it will cost to keep him here, but if it's going to happen I suppose I'm 100% in.

I was an EK skeptic from day 1, and I remain an EK skeptic, but I'm also not so foolish to think that making it to the SCF last year means we're juiced into this year. If that's what the fellas on top think we need to make it to the finals and win this time, let's go.

He's an all world talent that fills our biggest need. We have money to spend and draft picks stockpiled. The Paciorietty trade reaffirmed to everyone we're all in. Trading for EK makes us a top contender in our conference if not the entire league. I've been in on this move since Day 1....as long as he's healthy.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He's an all world talent that fills our biggest need. We have money to spend and draft picks stockpiled. The Paciorietty trade reaffirmed to everyone we're all in. Trading for EK makes us a top contender in our conference if not the entire league. I've been in on this move since Day 1....as long as he's healthy.
As long as he's healthy is a huge part, but put that aside.

I'm all in on almost every move made so far because we're playing with house money. We've got the picks stockpiled, we've got the prospects in a fairly decent position, and we remain on equal footing with almost every other team when it comes to the future and the draft. If we dump an assload of picks, or a combination of picks and prospects to get EK, we turn into a win now or rebuild in a few years scenario, and I'm not nearly as sold on that. As I see it now, we can try to win now and also try to win in 6-7 years the way it's currently set up.

We've gone in on win-now and maintained the same position as a "normal" team. As soon as we go below "normal" and get under that 21 picks in the next three drafts place, I'm less confident in the future. Especially since an EK move likely takes one/some of those great scouting picks of 2017 and some future early picks stockpiled.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
As long as he's healthy is a huge part, but put that aside.

I'm all in on almost every move made so far because we're playing with house money. We've got the picks stockpiled, we've got the prospects in a fairly decent position, and we remain on equal footing with every other team when it comes to the future. If we dump an assload of picks, or a combination of picks and prospects to get EK, we turn into a win now or rebuild scenario, and I'm not nearly as sold on that.

We've got in on win-now and maintained the same position as a "normal" team. As soon as we go below "normal" and get under that 21 picks in the next three drafts place, I'm less confident in the future. Especially since an EK move likely takes one/some of those great scouting picks of 2017 and some future early picks stockpiled.

I agree with all of that, & had the team been the traditional expansion franchise, losing heavily out of the gate, the hesitation is obviously warranted. As we all know, nothing about this team has gone according to the expansion script, so we're all in uncharted waters going forward.

Three drafts from now is like a lifetime in the NHL, I have no problem with McPhee going for it now. I'm a Ranger fan who's seen his team win once in 40 years of watching hockey. A franchise that's won once in 79 years. I'm all about trying to win it all, & when you have the chance to grab a guy like this, you do it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think this was posted here yet. Melnyk basically said that a trade is imminent. Listening to him is cringeworthy.

Someone pointed out that the jerseys in the background still have the stickers on them.

A.) Imagine an organization that doesn't pay attention to stuff like that.
B.) Knowing the organization is cheap as hell, and that's the major issue, the questions as to whether they'd sell them or not are valid, and isn't that the issue in the first place?

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Someone pointed out that the jerseys in the background still have the stickers on them.

A.) Imagine an organization that doesn't pay attention to stuff like that.
B.) Knowing the organization is cheap as hell, and that's the major issue, the questions as to whether they'd sell them or not are valid, and isn't that the issue in the first place?

Melnyk himself is wearing a Reebok jersey!!! :laugh: Too cheap to upgrade to the Adidas version? :sarcasm:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I don't think this was posted here yet. Melnyk basically said that a trade is imminent. Listening to him is cringeworthy.

Christ, that’s awful. No one was worried about him moving the team, they want him to just sell the team to a better owner!

Sounds like he’s selling off EK for a slew of young prospects and a couple picks. You’re right, this is his AWFUL attempt to prepping the fanbase. Poor Sens fans. He is an embarrassment.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Christ, that’s awful. No one was worried about him moving the team, they want him to just sell the team to a better owner!

Sounds like he’s selling off EK for a slew of young prospects and a couple picks. You’re right, this is his AWFUL attempt to prepping the fanbase. Poor Sens fans. He is an embarrassment.
He ain't getting a slew of anything unless ek is willing to sign.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The trade thing I think McPhee has covered. I'm just not 100% sure we can convince him to sign.

I can see him wanting to be with his old partner Methot in Dallas for 10m, or in Tampa with his friend Hedman for 10m. San Jose has always been a top destination for UFAs but they'd have to offer a lot of $$$ to offset their tax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->