Rumor: Golden Knights reportedly refused to deal Cody Glass in order to obtain Erik Karlsson from Senators

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
He just won the GM of the year, he is one or it not the best GM overall. That being said, if the minimum loss for trading Karlsson is 17,25M$ a year for us for least the next 4 seasons, I don't like the risks involved. I don't want to see anything like what is going in Ottawa and with the current Ryan deal it looks long and expensive commitment. I could maybe stand few years of Ryan deal, but even then, we have to make sure that William Karlsson is signed before doing anything else.

I'm with you on Wild Bill. Wanted them to sign him now, but understand why they're going to take their time, even though I think it will end up costing more cap space.

Re: Ryan, it's a tough decision, no doubt about it. To get an elite d man like Karlsson it's probably worth it, but yeah that term is sickening and the worst thing about him is I don't think he's a guy who fits Turk. If the effort shift to shift was more consistent I'd think maybe it could work out but yeah I'd love to know whether we are even considering him as part of the offer. Might be a straight up offer of prospects plus players without Ryan in the mix tbh. Either way we should get an idea of all that once the dust settles, where the details tend to come out.

I do think Karlsson could change this team on a fundamental level with his defensive skill. That was our achilles heel in the finals, and in order to win a cup the blue line has to be upgraded. If they do get it done, then I assume we lose Brannstrom as part of the package in addition to an affordable d man who can slide into their pairings now. Plus more of course. Steep price, but when you have a chance to add a truly elite player, well, I've come around to the point that I'm all for it.

Reactions: Aurinko

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm betting most of the rumblings was just false flags put out to influence the negotiation market. I don't think Ottawa has come close even once during this whole thing. Wouldn't surprise me if Dorion drags this to August to either get the best he can or make it seem as though he did his due diligence.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If Ottawa wants too much, I'm ok with the team passing on the deal. I rather keep our prospects and chase top UFAs. Panarin might not extend with Columbus. He'd be a great addition to the 2nd line with Tuch if Tatar can't bounce back with a solid season. Maybe EK gets traded, but refuses to a long term deal to screw Ottawa over with a crappy return and it would be in his best interest to take his time next year to find what team is best for him and his wife to not do an immediate extension with any team trying to get him right now.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I was expecting more animosity, glad to see this is not that kind of team page. If you can get Panarin whoever he plays with would immediately become your top line. If you could get Panarin extended it would certainly be worth Glass and then some. That guy is elite....and 25

Reactions: Supermassive

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I was expecting more animosity, glad to see this is not that kind of team page. If you can get Panarin whoever he plays with would immediately become your top line. If you could get Panarin extended it would certainly be worth Glass and then some. That guy is elite....and 25

If GMGM isn't trading Glass for EK, I doubt he does so for Panarin.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
If Ottawa wants too much, I'm ok with the team passing on the deal. I rather keep our prospects and chase top UFAs. Panarin might not extend with Columbus. He'd be a great addition to the 2nd line with Tuch if Tatar can't bounce back with a solid season. Maybe EK gets traded, but refuses to a long term deal to screw Ottawa over with a crappy return and it would be in his best interest to take his time next year to find what team is best for him and his wife to not do an immediate extension with any team trying to get him right now.

I can agree with that. As good as EK is, and just like with every great player on the trade block in those rare moments when they are available, there is a point where the price can exceed what is best for your team. Whether we've reached that stage, I have no idea of course, but agree that in theory George might have to back out.

Tatar, now, is a guy I am just not sure about tbh. The dude can score, and I am sure having a full offseason with Turk will help in terms of him fitting in and whatnot. But he's not the fastest skater and he can be streaky in a bad way. He's a real wild card in terms of what to expect, so at this point I just hope he does the work and meets Turk's expectations and from there gonna cross my fingers that he can start to pay dividends for us.

Panarin is not really what we need. Every team could use a guy like him of course, but the weakness of this team is the blue line so if George is going to translate some young talent into a veteran who is getting paid I'd prefer it be a defensive player or at the least a centerman. But again for this team to make that last step they have to upgrade the blueline so that is why George is all over EK. If George ends up dropping out of the EK sweepstakes, I'd have to think he'll still be looking hard at remaining blue line options.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Well getting Skinner would be fantastic. But Faulk is what the trade should be about, i.e. upgrading our defensive pairings, and from that perspective we'd be paying a lot for additions that don't ideally fit what is needed.

Trading Glass for that duo is also not going to happen, given that George didn't include him for EK. For me the suggested trade as a whole, from what Vegas gets to what they give up, would not be worth it.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Agreed. Watching a lot of Panarin this past year, he’s dangerous and absolutely relentless. Him and Stastny would dominate.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Agreed. Watching a lot of Panarin this past year, he’s dangerous and absolutely relentless. Him and Stastny would dominate.

Yeah, I would be willing to include Tuch and any prospect not named Glass in a deal that brings back Panarin. I imagine Columbus would look for Suzuki.

Tuch, Suzuki, a pick. Panarin would probably re-sign 8 years, around 9.5 million. Vegas is close enough to SoCal and doesn't have income tax.

There's the added benefit that we could stick Haula or Tatar with that Panarin-Stastny line for this year and watch them put up more points than usual then trade them next offseason for good futures that would help restock what we had to give up to get Panarin in the first place.

Then we bring over Gusev to replace whoever gets traded and Glass gets up to the full team and the team is even better.

Especially if Whitecloud, Brannstrom and maybe Hague are joining a core of Schmidt, Theodore, McNabb, Miller on defense at that time.

Reactions: Supermassive

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
It could be interesting to outbid Tampa and see what EK can do. If he wants to sign after the season he signs after the season. (but we sure as hell ain't going to take the full burden of Bobby Ryan)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
From what I can tell Karlsson wants guaranteed money through a possible work stoppage just like Tavares. I don't know if Foley would OK that, and McPhee specifically talked about disliking big signing bonuses. People think he'll take any contract offer to sign with the Lightning or Dallas or the Knights but I don't really see that as the case. I don't think he signs for any less than 12m a year, state tax or no.

The other thing is I think Ottawa wants the team trading for Karlsson to either take Ryan or flip him, so that Ottawa doesn't use any much needed assets to move him. His name keeps coming up so I'm almost convinced this is the case.

And last but not least before making a move Tampa needs to know how much they'll be paying Point, just as McPhee needs to know how much he'll be paying Wild Bill, Tuch, Fleury, Schmidt etc.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
From what I can tell Karlsson wants guaranteed money through a possible work stoppage just like Tavares. I don't know if Foley would OK that, and McPhee specifically talked about disliking big signing bonuses. People think he'll take any contract offer to sign with the Lightning or Dallas or the Knights but I don't really see that as the case. I don't think he signs for any less than 12m a year, state tax or no.

Maybe. But then again I don't think Foley is the kind of owner to quibble with contracts tbh. I doubt he would have a problem paying a player of EK's talent. The holdup, if there is one, is McPhee moreso, where he has a strong dislike for long term deals which limits how much can be put up in signing bonus. And that's something I agree with btw. I detest these "worry about it later" long term deals where a GM knows he won't get return in years 6-8. To me it's madness.

All that aside, with elite players some of those rules do go out the window a little bit. At this point I am pretty sure that the only holdup wrt EK and VGK leadership is getting Ottawa to pull the trigger. In fact if Ottawa deals him to VGK all other contracts immediately take a back seat to him. I think the framework of a deal will be pre-agreed to for a trade to go down, but there is no such thing as "let's see how EK fits behind X, Y, Z." It's "we're making room for EK and he's front of the bus, now who can we afford to keep around him."

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Okay. I realize this is a fairly stupid question, but I'm a little excited for the response as a person that's not completely sold on an EK trade.

Why do we want Erik Karlsson?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Okay. I realize this is a fairly stupid question, but I'm a little excited for the response as a person that's not completely sold on an EK trade.

Put butts in the seats? I don't really want him that badly. I think the cost going forward is not worth what he'll bring. Even if he puts up 70 from the blueline. I think we'd be fine with Theo, Schmidt, and Miller providing the offense from the point.

If GMGM does grab him, then he adds good puck possession, offensive creativity, and good zone exits. But again, I could absolutely live with banking on Theo and Brannstrom to provide all that and allow us to continue building a prospect pipeline going forward.

I just can't fully get behind the idea that Erik Karlsson is worth draining an already shallow pool of futures. Unless he helps bring us a cup, it would cripple us somewhat going forward and I don't see a ton of value in that. I mean no question he'd be the first bona fide super star the team ever had. I mean Fleury, Marchy, and Karlsson come close to that category but not quite. So on that page, it would be neat. But logistically I see it as problematic.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

That's a good question.
But there's another potential question: how could we have passed on Karlsson?

You're danged if you do, danged if you don't. If Glass, Suzuki, Brannstrom and Hague live up to their potential, maybe draft real well with those potential picks Ottawa wants, that seems like potentially a really good team with the core that's in place. Just like the team wasn't built to go to the finals in their 1st year, they're not built to just trade a king's ransom for an elite player.

But Erik Karlsson is magic, and the big trend in the NHL right now is winning the cup with elite players.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

There's several reasons why we want him. The most obvious is our glaring weakness on D. The Stanley Cup Finals exposed us pretty badly back there & we've done nothing to improve. Yes I know we signed Nick Holden. He isn't the answer & he shouldn't project to be anything more than a 6/7D.

Look at the roster and it's obvious we do not have a #1 D. Our best defenseman last year was Nate Schmidt. I love Schmitty, but he is at best a #2, but realistically he's more suited as a 3. Since Theo will probably have to go back in the trade, our other top guys are McNabb & Miller. Add EK & that's a very strong top 4.

EK/McNabb
Schmitty/Miller

I'm not sold on a Engellend/Holden 3rd pair, but I could live with it until we can pick up someone during the year, most likely at the deadline. (I'm still unsure why we didn't keep Mark Methot, btw. He's exactly what we could use right now) For everything that he brings in a leadership role, Derryk Engellend's on ice performance is severely limited. He played over his head last year & that's saying something because he was not very good in the playoffs.

Furthermore, this is a league where you have to have bonafide elite players to win a Cup. It's just that simple. Teams can make runs without superstars, but no team has won a Cup in the Cap era without one. Wild Bill might be a star in the making, but we don't know that yet. EK is a true #1 RD, one of the hardest spots to fill on your roster besides 1C. The beauty is that he is in the prime of his career at age 28, so this not only makes us better right now, but it's a long term move as well. The caveat is his health. As long as his foot checks out this is a guy who can play 10 more years at a VERY high level.

The Cinderalla Knights story from last year is over & the team won't be able to sneak up on anyone. That "us against the world" mentality won't cut it anymore, nor should they expect that to carry them forward. If McPhee believes the Cup window is open, this team right now is not as good as last year. However, adding EK makes us the favorites in the Pacific Division.

Lastly, Ottawa is over a barrel. Once the season starts, EK's value starts to plummet. There is a very realistic chance they finish with the worst record in the league. Adding insult to injury is they must give the Avs their 1st rounder in the 2019 draft. They have to recoup assets sooner than later. The payment right now is not as high as it would've been at the 2018 trade deadline. I would give Suzuki, Theo & a #1. They are probably holding out for more, which is why a deal hasn't been made yet. At some point they will blink. Time is not on their side.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

We had one gameplan against Washington and none of our defensemen could get their shots through traffic to make it work. EK would have.

He carried a worse Ottawa team to within one double OT goal of how far we got. If you put our team around him, we can make another deep playoff run but maybe further with that elite talent.

We have like 11 picks in the top 90 the next two drafts. We can afford to package three of those in any deal in order to get a player this good.

We would also have Schmidt, Miller, McNabb still on our blue line with EK. Still would have MAF. Still have our top line and Stastny, Tuch, Haula, Gusev's rights. Plus still have Glass or Suzuki (who gets a bit underrated on here) maybe both if Brannstrom is the one to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad