Rumor: Golden Knights reportedly refused to deal Cody Glass in order to obtain Erik Karlsson from Senators

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
McPhee ain't paying anyone not named McDavid 13M

I wouldn't believe that is the ask for Vegas and Dallas. He may prefer Tampa, if all things were equal, (due to how good the team is perceived and maybe friendships on the team, etc.) but I think he'd sign for mostly similar money at all three locations.

I think it's probably something along the lines of he may be willing to sign for 10 in Tampa because he would take a little less to be competitive and at his number one choice but Vegas and Dallas would have to pay fair market value, 11-11.5.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
This would be a good debate. Would you guys rather give up Tuch or Glass?

It’s a tough choice for me. While I think they both end up about the same production wise, i’d rather keep Tuch.

Usually a 55-65 point center >>> a winger, but power forwards who are great skaters are a rare breed nowadays.

Vegas is decent at least the next 3 years with Karlsson / March and Stastny, but lost a ton of depth in Perron and Neal on the wings.
Personally I’d rather give up Glass than Tuch but I’m honestly getting to the point of kinda hoping GMGM just tells PD to f*** off. Sure EK would be a great addition to VGK, but at what cost? Losing Theo and Tuch after already losing Neal and Perron? And after spending what we’ve already spent in the offseason and then taking on EK and BR’s contracts we’d go from having the biggest cap space to damn near nothing.

Then again, I’d be a horrible GM.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
This would be a good debate. Would you guys rather give up Tuch or Glass?

It’s a tough choice for me. While I think they both end up about the same production wise, i’d rather keep Tuch.

Usually a 55-65 point center >>> a winger, but power forwards who are great skaters are a rare breed nowadays.

Vegas is decent at least the next 3 years with Karlsson / March and Stastny, but lost a ton of depth in Perron and Neal on the wings.

I wouldn't give up either one. In a vacuum Glass has more value because I think he has a higher ceiling, but if you're getting EK you're trying to win now and currently Tuch is vital to that as he's our best middle 6 winger.

Any EK deal has to have either Theo or Miller along with Suzuki IMO as the centerpieces for it to make sense from a Vegas standpoint.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Karlsson is better than Doughty assuming he gets back to 100%, but I’d probably cap his AAV at 12, not 13.

Now if there’s a trade that benefits both teams and that was the hold up, I might budge but 2 mil over Doughty? Don’t like that much.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like Tampa is the front runner now? LOL it's a new team each day!

If the rumor is that TB is the only team EK is interested in signing with long-term, we need to get out of this bidding war now. I would guess that rumor is not true though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Sounds like Tampa is the front runner now? LOL it's a new team each day!

If the rumor is that TB is the only team EK is interested in signing with long-term, we need to get out of this bidding war now. I would guess that rumor is not true though.
I think every team in the running has already agreed to terms of a contract extension with EK. He and his agent simply give the yay or nay. The rest is all trade negotiations.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Karlsson is better than Doughty assuming he gets back to 100%, but I’d probably cap his AAV at 12, not 13.

Now if there’s a trade that benefits both teams and that was the hold up, I might budge but 2 mil over Doughty? Don’t like that much.

Getting back to 100% is a big if, especially at that money. I don’t think the Sens will get the king’s ransom they’re demanding. High quality player/pick/prospect sounds likely.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Seems like the Karlsson saga is finally ending. Good. Now to focus on our RFAs and signing Hamhuis or Enstrom.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Tampa offense should be something to see if EK goes there. Might even have to watch some of their games :eek:

It would be cool to see him in the knight uniform, but having a cup final team with a healthy fan base, there should be very little reason to join the manic race.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Shouldn't the goal be try to improve? Because this team on paper is not as good as last years.

That was said last year also, not good on paper.

In my eyes the 2nd line was leaking like hell (worst +/-) and I wouldn't blame it all on Haula. The line just lacked defense. EK would bring offense, but is that what we really need? People who say EK is ok defensively should look at his stats this season. Injury might explain some, but I think it's more about losing Method and revealing the holes in his defensive play.

Late in the season there was also discussion that EK had not fully healed and was playing injured. What if the last surgery did not go as well as planned? I'm not sure if I would risk it with a player this important.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
With all that criticism, I could see some added synergy with two Karlssons in the team.

I'm sure he's going to Tampa, since trade to Dallas would make absolutely no sense (they have horrible D already) and the Knights fixation ends the moment they would have to give out any decent prospects.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
That was said last year also, not good on paper.

In my eyes the 2nd line was leaking like hell (worst +/-) and I wouldn't blame it all on Haula. The line just lacked defense. EK would bring offense, but is that what we really need? People who say EK is ok defensively should look at his stats this season. Injury might explain some, but I think it's more about losing Method and revealing the holes in his defensive play.

Late in the season there was also discussion that EK had not fully healed and was playing injured. What if the last surgery did not go as well as planned? I'm not sure if I would risk it with a player this important.
Also, I'm a bit skittish about EK and wife bringing drama to the room. I know they claim to be completely innocent in the online pissing match with Hoffman's lady, and that Hoffman and his lady also claim innocence, but the truth in these matters is often somewhere in between. Just don't wanna see that kind of crap infecting our team and upsetting any good chemistry, as the VGK have been free of any major drama AFAIK.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Have to admit I'm on pins and needles with this. Also think that VGK interest going back like it has, as well as the cap space advantage, are indicators that GMGM will be able to get this done, but of course you never know.

Thankfully we'll know soon.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Karlsson fully healthy is absolutely elite defensively.

OFD’s are still stigmatized to this day imo. If you are an elite offensive guy, you must be weak defensively. A lot of west coast fans buy into the lies about his game too if they don’t see him much.

There’s the saying that the best defense is a great offense, but I’m not even referring to that. Karlsson is a takeaway wizard, and can outskate 99.9% of the league to get back after pinching. Only knock is he’s too aggressive sometimes and gets caught out of position. Schmidt would be arguably the best defensive partner he ever had vs. probably Methot. McNabb would be dynamite with him too.

Karlsson doesn’t even get outmuscled in the corners by many people. Very wiry strong human being.

I consider break outs a defensive attribute. Karlsson is the best transition player in the league, and one of the best all time. That’s not just his skating, but his passing, IQ and vision.

The guy is 28 years old, and assuming the package is something like Theodore, Glass, a B level prospect, and a pick or two wouldn’t gut the team in the slightest.

McNabb - Karlsson
Schmidt - Miller

Fleury

That’s easily a contending back end, and that right side would provide a ton of offense. This would be the best team Karlsson has ever played on.

Defensive depth and center depth win championships. Having Karlsson over Theodore in the last cup run would’ve definitely changed a game or two in the final. He dragged a very mediocre team into the finals two years ago on one foot. Plus, Fleury is a Hall of Famer, but he’s not getting any younger. Karlsson, even losing a step, is still a 25 minute a night 60+ point defender. I don’t even think that happens until he’s roughly 32-33. He fits right in with the core age of this team that is primed to contend over the next 2-3 years or more.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Karlsson trade talks reaching climax

GMGM frustrated with negotiations

I'm still worried McPhee will do something catastrophic. He admitted in a recent interview that he can't even sleep when the trades stress him. I'm not sure which trades he is referring to, but I would expect the EK case is in top of the list with Filip Forsberg to M.Erat deal. After the criticized Tatar deal, I would assume he wants to hit a home run here...

These are the expected minimum losses for the Knights:
1) EK will currently not sign for VGK for less than 12M$/year
2) OTT will not trade with Vegas without including Ryan deal 7,25M$/year¨

Minimum loss: 19,25M$/year

Maximum losses: Minimum losses + losing our top player/prospect + losing team identity/chemistry + EK injured

McPhee needs to relax and take a timeout now.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm still worried McPhee will do something catastrophic. He admitted in a recent interview that he can't even sleep when the trades stress him. I'm not sure which trades he is referring to, but I would expect the EK case is in top of the list with Filip Forsberg to M.Erat deal. After the criticized Tatar deal, I would assume he wants to hit a home run here...

Maximum losses: Minimum losses + losing our top player/prospect + losing team identity/chemistry + EK injured

Trades should stress him out. Other than the side deals in the expansion draft, he has not been a good trader. He's a much better draft and develop GM. When it became clear he wasn't getting EK, he made a hasty trade for Tatar that is not looking so hot. I hated the trade because I felt he overpaid, but I'll give him this season to prove he was worth the picks we gave Detroit. Maybe Tatar isn't one of those guys that needs more time to get with his teammates.

Other than Stazz, I wasn't too hot with some of the contracts he handed out. The cap won't be a factor this season, but it might be the season afterwards if an EK and BR deal is made. While I like the Stazz signing, I felt we could have had ROR with giving up minimal assets. I couldn't believe how cheap the blues got him. GMGM could have done better than the blues offer, but he's so fixated on EK he missed out on an opportunity.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

George isn't perfect, but to my eye he's a lot better than some on these boards give him cred for. He made mistakes in Washington, but he also built a unique team core that sustained a lot of winning over time, and their cup victory was something he contributed to. There is a chance that the guy he is now is the one who built a Stanley Cup Finals team with spare parts moreso than the guy who made a couple bad deals mixed in with his building of the Caps.

I find your post a bit condescending tbh. Seems to me that he knows what he's doing, let's give him a chance to finish the offseason before we characterize him as a jittery GM who can't make a good decision due to stress or whatever it is you're going for there.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
George isn't perfect, but to my eye he's a lot better than some on these boards give him cred for. He made mistakes in Washington, but he also built a unique team core that sustained a lot of winning over time, and their cup victory was something he contributed to. There is a chance that the guy he is now is the one who built a Stanley Cup Finals team with spare parts moreso than the guy who made a couple bad deals mixed in with his building of the Caps.

I find your post a bit condescending tbh. Seems to me that he knows what he's doing, let's give him a chance to finish the offseason before we characterize him as a jittery GM who can't make a good decision due to stress or whatever it is you're going for there.

He just won the GM of the year, he is one or it not the best GM overall. That being said, if the minimum loss for trading Karlsson is 17,25M$ a year for us for least the next 4 seasons, I don't like the risks involved. I don't want to see anything like what is going in Ottawa and with the current Ryan deal it looks long and expensive commitment. I could maybe stand few years of Ryan deal, but even then, we have to make sure that William Karlsson is signed before doing anything else.

Reactions: Vegas Mac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad