Rumor: Golden Knights reportedly refused to deal Cody Glass in order to obtain Erik Karlsson from Senators

Bart22

Apr 9, 2018
Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I think Karlsson gets his $10M x 8y from Ottawa on July 1.

If he changes his mind and wants to trade and sign after July 1, I’d give up Glass not not much more. Potential 1C.

Reactions: McCoy

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
EK65 won't sign extension (starting in 2019) if he doesn't want to stay in Ottawa. (And there may be some ownership issues that help make his mind up) Don't think Ottawa can give him $$s he'd want to stay (IOW ownership can't come up with $$).

Ottawa isn't against trading him, but they want a big return. And it's getting smaller as teams did not have him for playoffs/stretch.

If team was looking to trade me and didn't, I may want to try for greener pastures, regardless.

Bart22

Apr 9, 2018
I think Karlsson gets his $10M x 8y from Ottawa on July 1.

If he changes his mind and wants to trade and sign after July 1, I’d give up Glass not not much more. Potential 1C.

I would try to give up everything but Glass, I'm really high on him. I would give up the following:

Karlsson without an extension

• Suzuki
  • 2019 1st
  • 2020 3rd

Karlsson with an extension

• Suzuki
  • 2019 1st
  • 2020 1st or 2020 and 2021 2nd round picks
  • Theordore
  • Possibly Hague/Brannstrom to get the deal over the line

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Ottawa already turned down Suzuki and Brannstrom package at the deadline.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Ottawa already turned down Suzuki and Brannstrom package at the deadline.

Source?

From everything I've read it was a 1st+a 2nd + a conditional 1st+ a top prospect for Karlsson and Ryan and Ottawa seemed to back out at the last second.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I think the picks we gave up for Tatar put the nail in the coffin for an EK deal. I think Ottawa will want things they can use immediately (like a legitimate top 6, a top draft pick for this year, etc.). If we still had a first round for this year's draft, we might be able to work a deal. I have a tough time seeing it otherwise.

Reactions: Morrison

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Source?

From everything I've read it was a 1st+a 2nd + a conditional 1st+ a top prospect for Karlsson and Ryan and Ottawa seemed to back out at the last second.

My guess would be 1st, 2nd, Suzuki, conditional 1st for EK, Ryan was tentatively agreed upon.

I'm guessing it got complicated when Ottawa tried to switch Suzuki for Glass at the last minute. Possibly as a tactic to get us to pull the trigger without having time to think. We may have countered by taking Ryan out of the deal and they balked then it was too late and both sides moved on.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
EK can at least control the group of teams he's willing to go to and out of those teams, only a few could be able to swing that deal. I still would not mind a solid dman like Green and hope another year of experience will help our inexperienced blue liners if we add JT. Adding EK AND Bobby Ryan with a top fa like JT will leave very little room to keep all of our young guys that will require raises in the next 2 to 3 years.

Reactions: Supermassive

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
EK can at least control the group of teams he's willing to go to and out of those teams, only a few could be able to swing that deal. I still would not mind a solid dman like Green and hope another year of experience will help our inexperienced blue liners if we add JT. Adding EK AND Bobby Ryan with a top fa like JT will leave very little room to keep all of our young guys that will require raises in the next 2 to 3 years.

Mike Green is a disaster. We do NOT need him on this team.

They can always buy out Ryan in 2 years if we wind up taking on his salary.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Mike Green is a disaster. We do NOT need him on this team.

They can always buy out Ryan in 2 years if we wind up taking on his salary.

I disagree about Green. He was good with the Caps. Detroit just sucks. He would have been better than our offensive dmen in the finals. At worst, he would have pushed down Theodore to the 3rd line. He's a solid back checker and wouldn't have made those awful pinches that Theodore did that lead to goals.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I think we could squeeze all of our raises in even adding Tavares, Erik Karlsson and Ryan. We would be a max cap team.

We would have to get rid of Eakin's final two years before this season. Then we would need to get rid of Tatar's final two years after this season. Then we would have to buy out Ryan's final two years the season after that (most likely a penalty free compliance buyout after a new CBA).

We would need young forward prospects to fill the gap but they should be pushing for a role at that time anyway.

That should be enough to allow us to give Wild Bill, Schmidt, Tuch and Miller raises but we could always trade Miller and put Brannstrom in a top 4 role after this season. Maybe a year early for him to be in that role but he'd have a good partner and all teams need to do that every so often. I'm assuming Theodore goes in a trade to get EK so we won't need money for him.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Sens fan coming in peace. Would Vegas be open to Erik Karlsson extended for 8 years at 10 mil for only a 7th round draft pick under the condition that Vegas also takes Eugene Melnyk?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Rumor on Twitter that VGK offers Glass, Theo for EK. Twitter account is @NHLRumorMill so take it with a grain of salt. This is a no-go for a 1 yr EK imo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wouldn't even take it with a grain of salt. I looked over that guy's Twitter and he seems to opine and retweet confirmed news more than he shares any rumors and when he does it's vague and things like "what I'm hearing" or "word seems to be" or "the feeling is that" or "don't count/rule out"

All qualifiers that allow him to say whatever the f*** he wants with no culpability if he's wrong under the excuse of murmurs in the shadows.

Ill go ahead and trust Friedman before this run of the mill twitter "insider" who would have more followers if he had any credibility. Guys like this only have the popularity they do the way a rag like the National Inquirer and other bogus "news" papers do. It may not be right but it's entertaining to think about and in the off chance that they get something right there's a promise of a dopamine rush of striking gold from an unlikely source.

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on anyone claiming the Knights are trying to move Glass until I see an official trade confirmation.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn't even take it with a grain of salt. I looked over that guy's Twitter and he seems to opine and retweet confirmed news more than he shares any rumors and when he does it's vague and things like "what I'm hearing" or "word seems to be" or "the feeling is that" or "don't count/rule out"

All qualifiers that allow him to say whatever the **** he wants with no culpability if he's wrong under the excuse of murmurs in the shadows.

Ill go ahead and trust Friedman before this run of the mill twitter "insider"

There's a thread on the trade board that says the rumor is from some Hamilton guy but I don't know how reliable that info is/ how reliable said Hamilton guy is, if true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad