Golden Knights remain NHL's hottest-selling ticket

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Of course winning is everything, but you gotta give a good chunk to their "out of the box" thinking when it comes to entertainment and marketing the team. If Vegas marketing team was in charged of NHL's global team, hockey would've closed down to the other three sports.
I very much enjoyed watching their pre game intros during the playoffs.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Of course winning is everything, but you gotta give a good chunk to their "out of the box" thinking when it comes to entertainment and marketing the team. If Vegas marketing team was in charged of NHL's global team, hockey would've closed down to the other three sports.
Marketing is absolutely important, but at the end of the day you have to bring a product that people are willing to consume.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wonder how the sale would have been if they were bad last season. Would the new team effect still remain?
Fairly safe to say it wouldn’t be as crazy as it has been, but I don’t expect that any games would have gone under capacity this year or last.

The season ticket base started off very strong, which also has a lot to do with demand in creating scarcity for single gamers.

There will probably be a day when the Knights aren’t a top capacity team, don’t expect it in the short-mid term future, though.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Some of the people I know in Vegas did not really even bother with the NHL before the Knights. Now they buy tickets, buy team gear, and talk NHL hockey with me.m whenever we chat. It’s great to see how that town embraced the Knights. Reminds me of Nashville.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I have Oilers seasons tickets. I sell about half the games. Vegas tickets have been the most requested this year.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BTW does anyone remember if getting an expansion team was such a big deal back when Columbus got one compared to now with vegas?

25 years ago MLB decided on Tampa Bay over Orlando for an expansion franchise and it was a mistake. A team in Orlando could then market road trip packages with Disney and Universal as a hook. Tampa, on the other hand, is not an easy tourist sell in summer.

upload_2018-9-26_1-56-45.png

Vegas, on the other hand, is now a road trip destination for fans in 30 NHL cities.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not sure MLB is a valid comparison here.

- you put up numbers, which have Tampa Bay ahead of Orlando.
- Tampa Bay has many issues, namely their indoor dome stadium in a beautiful weather area.
- Florida in general doesn't work well with major league baseball. The Miami Marlins are a disaster, new stadium and all. Also have a history of championships a lot of cities don't.
- Florida is influxed with almost every team's spring training, lot of people spend their money on that to see great players and name teams at a discount rate outdoors. Why turn around after that and buy tickets to the two joke teams?
- Tampa Bay Lightning have huge attendance issues when they aren't winning.
- Florida Panthers also caught lightning in a bottle when they were successful off the bat, now, well... I don't imagine Vegas will go the same route but won't be surprised if they stumble and the Raiders move to town.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

- Tampa Bay has many issues, namely their indoor dome stadium in a beautiful weather area.
- Florida in general doesn't work well with major league baseball. The Miami Marlins are a disaster, new stadium and all. Also have a history of championships a lot of cities don't.
- Florida is influxed with almost every team's spring training, lot of people spend their money on that to see great players and name teams at a discount rate outdoors. Why turn around after that and buy tickets to the two joke teams?
- Florida Panthers also caught lightning in a bottle when they were successful off the bat, now, well... I don't imagine Vegas will go the same route but won't be surprised if they stumble and the Raiders move to town.

My point was a MLB team in Orlando could market out of town fans in the summer with the power of the theme parks.

I lived in Florida in 1990-91 and seeing the apathy in regards to attendance in the Florida State League made me question then if MLB could work.

I would love to see VGK's books - certainly they had more openings last season than anyone could dream of but they are also saddled with enormous debt because of the expansion fee.

The TV footprint is easily the smallest in the NHL with the possible exception of Winnipeg.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NATB Accuses Vegas Golden Knights of Backdoor Secondary Sales

A representative of the National Association of Ticket Brokers has accused the Las Vegas Golden Knights of seizing tickets from fans to sell them at inflated prices. Gary Adler, the NATB’s executive director and counsel, levied the charges in a statement provided to LVSportsBiz.com following numerous stories of the team revoking season ticket memberships from fans, allegedly due to their selling outside of the team’s official resale partnerships, or selling too many tickets for games they could not attend.

“While the Golden Knights are quick to imply that revoked tickets will be offered to the next local fan who promises not to resell them or fill their seats with a visiting team fan, our sources tell us that is not the truth,” Adler says. “Instead many of the tickets the team is reselling at a higher price than what the original season ticketholder paid, and the team is also doing this through hidden channels so you won’t necessarily see those tickets offered by the box office.”

Organization calling on VGK to open their records.

Sounds like a bunch of ticket brokers who live off reselling tickets aren't happy their tickets were seized. But it doesn't sound like the tickets are then being offered to fans (except through secret resale areas).

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Which was designed in the late 1980s, before retractable roofs, basically. And they don't tell the tourists about the "beautiful weather" of daily thunderstorms in the afternoon in central Florida during most of baseball season.
- Florida in general doesn't work well with major league baseball. The Miami Marlins ... Also have a history of championships a lot of cities don't.
Doesn't work well with baseball, but has a history of championships? :huh:
- Florida is influxed with almost every team's spring training,
Except the Cactus League teams, about half of MLB
Like most teams in sports everywhere...
I will be, tbh.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

The lightning actually dont have attendance issues when they arent winning. Theyve missed the playoffs 6 times out of the last 11 years and only one of those years they were below 90 percent capacity.

Please use facts next time

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My point was a MLB team in Orlando could market out of town fans in the summer with the power of the theme parks.

I lived in Florida in 1990-91 and seeing the apathy in regards to attendance in the Florida State League made me question then if MLB could work.

I would love to see VGK's books - certainly they had more openings last season than anyone could dream of but they are also saddled with enormous debt because of the expansion fee.

The TV footprint is easily the smallest in the NHL with the possible exception of Winnipeg.
In August 2017 when I was on vacation in Orlando I drove from Walt Disney World to St. Petersburg to see the Blue Jays play the Rays at Tropicana Field. While the drive itself was no problem, if Orlando was given the MLB team instead it would have been a lot closer going from Walt Disney World to somewhere in downtown Orlando. So you can say I'm one of those fans who would see their team play on the road if they happen to be in that city at the same time.

This coming December I'm once again going to be in Walt Disney World and on the 13th I got tickets when the Leafs play the Lightning in Tampa Bay.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I sense that this and next season will be the real test, but by any objective standard, this franchise has been a huge success. This has been very fun to witness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->