Rumor: Golden Knights looking for mobile D?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Vatanen and Deangelo are the only names on that list that make sense to me. Green is washed up. Demelo and Nemeth are marginal upgrades at best. Brodin is to expensive and not an offensive D. And there is zero chance in hell we're getting Petro.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vatanen and Deangelo are the only names on that list that make sense to me. Green is washed up. Demelo and Nemeth are marginal upgrades at best. Brodin is to expensive and not an offensive D. And there is zero chance in hell we're getting Petro.

I wasn't Vatanen's biggest fan on the Ducks, and I think DeMelo would be cheaper both from trade cost and contract going forward (I think Vatanen at 5M for 4 or 5 years makes no sense for us after this season) and I do think DeMelo could be a bargain if we can make that trade. DeAngelo is an alright name, Petro will cost a big contract until he's 37 and I am increasingly uncomfortable with that seeing other players with term hamper teams.

I've thrown Niskanen as a name for the next two seasons if we can wait for a few months and the Flyers to fall off. His contract runs an additional year only which seems very good for us.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Mobile D, those things are awful, full of micro transactions :sarcasm:

But we do need help on the backend, I'd more be looking for a strong shutdown D but that's me.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I can't bear to read the hockey guru that can't skate. I just can't. He starts with characterizing the opinion of Friedman as a rumour. I wonder if he thinks Mobile D is a new app.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I can't bear to read the hockey guru that can't skate. I just can't. He starts with characterizing the opinion of Friedman as a rumour. I wonder if he thinks Mobile D is a new app.

I don't put much stock into what Friedman or his Sportsnet buddies say about smaller non-Canadian markets. They put out a lot of baseless crap this past summer about the Golden Knights.

Having said that, it's pretty obvious VGK need another PMD that's quicker and more aggressive than Holden and they're not ready to call up Schuldt and Coghlan just yet.

Reactions: derriko

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I don't put much stock into what Friedman or his Sportsnet buddies say about smaller non-Canadian markets. They put out a lot of baseless crap this past summer about the Golden Knights.

Having said that, it's pretty obvious VGK need another PMD that's quicker and more aggressive than Holden and they're not ready to call up Schuldt and Coghlan just yet.

And, sad to say, Engo should have retired....the speed was never there, but it's at the detriment level now.

Merrill is supposed to be the aggressive one, with Holden the traditional blueline patroller, and Merrill was surprising me earlier in the season. Of late, though, he's been looking more like the guy who had me throwing slippers at the TV last year (I can't afford to replace the TV). Holden has been surprisingly stable in his role.

The bottom line is that we may be able to afford to bring in a PMD of bottom 2 caliber by TDL, but we take the risk that he's just another Merrill. I don't think Schuldt is ready, and I'm not convinced Coghlan adds much more than Hague does at this point in time. The bottom line to me is that the way the O lines are playing as a whole, moving in even elite PMD would be akin to adding shiny new fuel injectors to an engine that has a cracked block. Just too many turnovers...blind passes to nowhere but the opposition, panic dump-ins that are automatic turnovers, passes fumbled off sticks.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The bottom line to me is that the way the O lines are playing as a whole, moving in even elite PMD would be akin to adding shiny new fuel injectors to an engine that has a cracked block. Just too many turnovers...blind passes to nowhere but the opposition, panic dump-ins that are automatic turnovers, passes fumbled off sticks.

These are exactly what I am seeing, all a result of other teams deploying some simple strategies to counter the Knights system. I don't even know if another PMD is needed, these guys just need to stop trying to do quick transition every time they touch the puck. With the savvy playmakers they have a better strategy would be to skate the puck out of the zone or at least take a few strides that way first before trying to make a play up ice that too often leads to a turnover.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
They looking for another vet I guess as Hague can skate with the puck. He just hasn't really? With the d partners he has I guess.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

No reason for NYR to trade DeAngelo right now. Yeah, I mean they are going to be tight against the cap, and he's going to want a raise in the offseason, but you face that bridge when you get there. Also, this article apparently is from some writer who can't even bothered to check to see that he has the right salary on the players he's talking about.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They looking for another vet I guess as Hague can skate with the puck. He just hasn't really? With the d partners he has I guess.

That and the elephant in the room is that Theodore has not been very good for most of the year, and he should not be playing over 20 minutes a game without a dependable chaperone. McNabb has not been that guy.

Hopefully this is because he missed most of camp and he gets steadier after the break.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
That and the elephant in the room is that Theodore has not been very good for most of the year, and he should not be playing over 20 minutes a game without a dependable chaperone. McNabb has not been that guy.

Hopefully this is because he missed most of camp and he gets steadier after the break.
Camp was 2 weeks. He has been playing over a month.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I was thinking about the expansion draft and how a lot of UFAs this year will be looking for full NMCs for the next few seasons.

By my estimation, there's only a handful of teams that will be able to reassure UFA defensemen they will be protected in the expansion draft AND have the cap space available to get a top 4 D (although a lot can change by July 1st).

There's probably a dozen or so teams that can add a forward without worrying too much about exposing someone from their team as well.

One of those teams will probably be LA, so it shouldn't be a huge shock if they do a quick summer rebuild (no pun intended).

If the holy grail Pietrangelo is not available, perhaps they should make a cheeky offer of 4m to Hamonic, Schultz and Gudas and see who bites.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Plus Risto seems like a guy with attitude issues. I wouldn't want to commit over 5m to him when there's a chance Pietrangelo might be a UFA this summer.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any interest in LHD Sebastian Aho?
He previously had a cup of coffee call up . He looks very promising and is nhl ready. His upside is 2nd pairing.
Unfortunately, the isles have a logjam on D, blocking him.

Isles are likely looking for a solid,bottom 6 center.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
He previously had a cup of coffee call up . He looks very promising and is nhl ready. His upside is 2nd pairing.

We have one Cody Eakin available :sarcasm:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Doubt we'll trade for an LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad