Golden Knights draft desires

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hello all,

Flyers fan here in peace. You guys have a better team than ours, thus aren't actually looking forward to the draft, what with the playoffs about to start and all. Very understandable. That said, there's about to be a mock draft after the lotto selection. I've been fortunate enough to select the Golden Knights and do my best GMGM impression.

As everyday fans, are there any discussed or obvious desires for your team's draft? Typically, BPA is better than need. However, are there any specific targets folks have in mind to make a good draft?

Thanks much, good luck in the playoffs.

If you're interested-
Fantasy Sports: - Flyers Board Mock Draft 2019

Reactions: MordredGK

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
In terms of a 'need' in the later rounds VGK could use an overager forward(preferably with size) or goaltender for their prospect pool. Other than that, VGK has a fairly well rounded pool with the signing of Schuldt. They should be looking for a couple boom or bust potential sleeper picks.

Personally, Tomasino would be a big get. Fast center, teammate of Jones and his stock is rising.

Reactions: Ruck Over

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If Vegas continues as an attractive destination for FAs, BPA will probably be our ongoing strategy. Tradeability is key.

Reactions: Ruck Over

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Would love to get Samuel Fagemo who went undrafted last year(and is imo a 1st rounder in a re-draft), his playstyle is a perfect fit for us.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey folks,

1. That was a hella bad beat in the playoffs. Not to agitate fresh wounds, but I was pulling for you guys.

2. The Vegas portion of the mock draft is done over on the Flyers board. Still about a month and change left to go before it actually occurs, what do you guys think of this crop?

Vegas Picks
17th – Arthur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton (OHL)
48th – Patrik Puistola, LW, LeKi (Mestis)
79th – Hunter Jones, G, Peterborough (OHL)
84th – Ryder Donovan, C, Duluth East (USHS-MN)
86th – Samuel Bolduc, D, Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL)
110th – Oleg Zaitsev, C, Red Deer (WHL)
135th – Zachary Jones, D, Tri-City (USHL)
139th – (John) Jack Malone, C, Youngstown (USHL)
141th – Isaiah Saville, G, Tri-City (USHL)

I missed Knight and Tomasino. Based on the rankings and web searching I was doing, some places had them going later, mis-judged there. And the overagers that matched bigger bodies got taken way earlier than I thought they would've too. I did try to focus some on larger players, complete games like I interpret your team playing, but they are more project leaning than NHL ready now'ish.
The draft is still on going for all the other teams. I took some, a lot, of liberties in portraying GMGM, it's down right fanfic.

Enjoy the offseason, here's to next year.

Fantasy Sports: - Flyers Board Mock Draft 2019

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Spencer Knight

Knight taking over as the face of the franchise after Fleury retires. I don't think I would mind the pick. Good coaching and goaltending papers over a bit.

Our defense is young on it's own and we still have a few prospects. We have so many wingers. I think the management team is good at finding character players to play the system and their role.

We would probably need to prioritize centers and defense in other drafts but we would still be solid.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
In terms of a 'need' in the later rounds VGK could use an overager forward(preferably with size) or goaltender for their prospect pool. Other than that, VGK has a fairly well rounded pool with the signing of Schuldt. They should be looking for a couple boom or bust potential sleeper picks.

Personally, Tomasino would be a big get. Fast center, teammate of Jones and his stock is rising.

I think if we could somehow get Knight, Tomasino and Fagemo it would have to be considered a very good draft.

Too bad Vegas didn't sign Brazeau as an overage forward.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think we have our Post-Flower goalie in our org so if they go with Knight, I wouldn't be upset at the pick as I've heard many say that he should turn out to be a better usa born goalie than Gibson and he should be ready by the time Fleury retires. Or I hope that we keep making fantastic picks and have enough trade ammo to get an above average goalie in a trade with a team that has 2 really good starting caliber goalies. Otherwise I hope we just draft BPA.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think we have our Post-Flower goalie in our org so if they go with Knight, I wouldn't be upset at the pick as I've heard many say that he should turn out to be a better usa born goalie than Gibson and he should be ready by the time Fleury retires. Or I hope that we keep making fantastic picks and have enough trade ammo to get an above average goalie in a trade with a team that has 2 really good starting caliber goalies. Otherwise I hope we just draft BPA.
I still think Subban is closer to a decent every game goalie than he is than he is far from it. I'm happy standing pat with prospects in the pipeline. As many as possible.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I still think Subban is closer to a decent every game goalie than he is than he is far from it. I'm happy standing pat with prospects in the pipeline. As many as possible.

I wouldn't argue with that, but I'm not sure if he could be an everyday (injury concerns) and potential deep playoff run goalie. He needs to work on puck handling skills in the trapazoid and avoid those games where he gives up 4 by the end of the 2nd. He's had some great games where I don't know how he did it because most of his saves aren't flashly like Flower's diving and stacking the pads saves. But at least he doesn't come way far out like Flower and leaves himself in trouble on a cross crease pass to an open player and Flower does this a lot and drives me nuts.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wouldn't argue with that, but I'm not sure if he could be an everyday (injury concerns) and potential deep playoff run goalie. He needs to work on puck handling skills in the trapazoid and avoid those games where he gives up 4 by the end of the 2nd. He's had some great games where I don't know how he did it because most of his saves aren't flashly like Flower's diving and stacking the pads saves. But at least he doesn't come way far out like Flower and leaves himself in trouble on a cross crease pass to an open player and Flower does this a lot and drives me nuts.
Flower is often flashier than the situation requires, but I think he also understands that he's as good as a "GET LOUD" image on the jumbotron sometimes. I spent the entire first season in T-MA and I still couldn't tell a great save from an okay one seeing it live. The flashes of the glove hype the crowd. That comes with experience. His puckhandling is fine, but could use some work. He's not great in those weird off situations where he should stay up when game tempo says to chill out, but again...I think that's experience.

He's in the top 50 of GAA and Save % last season including everyone, it means he's decent. I think he just needs some coaching. Luckily, we've got a good goalie coach.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Flower is often flashier than the situation requires, but I think he also understands that he's as good as a "GET LOUD" image on the jumbotron sometimes. I spent the entire first season in T-MA and I still couldn't tell a great save from an okay one seeing it live. The flashes of the glove hype the crowd. That comes with experience. His puckhandling is fine, but could use some work. He's not great in those weird off situations where he should stay up when game tempo says to chill out, but again...I think that's experience.

He's in the top 50 of GAA and Save % last season including everyone, it means he's decent. I think he just needs some coaching. Luckily, we've got a good goalie coach.

I don't think Subban is a goalie you could challenge for Cups with. So, with that I think Knight would be a good pick for us.

We have two second round picks and seem to be able to draft well so we could look for other needs there.

I also think we should leverage the expansion draft to pull a decent prospect out of one organization. There's thirty of them so I'm sure a trade could be made to benefit us and them.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Another thing to remember about Subban (yes I know that I really should be posting this in the 2019-2020 off season roster thread) is that it seems likely that he'll take 1 more year with us and could leave as a UFA if he he shows more progress and if some other team makes him a much higher offer and tells him that they plan to use him as a starter and the offer is starting goalie money pay level ($2M?+) and GMKM might say nah we have a few guys that are good enough in the backup role and wish him luck if someone will give him the starting job.

If Knight is drafted (I doubt we draft him but who knows) then that would automatically mean that Subban would leave us within a year unless he is fine with being a backup for his whole career. I don't know enough about other team's goalie situation, but if he does play well this season then maybe someone gives him a chance to be the starter. And the chance to compete for the starting job somewhere else is better than definite backup until Fleury's contract is up.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
My view is why not trade Subban right now when he's got some good value and a team can try him out for a year on RFA? I really don't think Dansk is that big a fall off at this point. Subban could become a decent NHL starter with time, Dansk probably won't, but Subban isn't going to do that in Vegas. Coaching him up more and giving him more starts next year only to not be able to sign him seems crazy. Seems like further down we don't have any likely stars so drafting a goalie makes sense to me.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I despise drafting first round goalies, hate drafting them in the second round, and don't like drafting them in the third. Goalies are so hard to predict at the age of 18. You need to just draft one in the later rounds at least every other year (more likely every year or 2 out of 3) and keep trying to hit the jackpot with development. Goalies are so far from complete at 18, heck most goalies don't start to make an impact until 25.

Puck-stopping patience: Teams wait on goalies at NHL draft

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I despise drafting first round goalies, hate drafting them in the second round, and don't like drafting them in the third. Goalies are so hard to predict at the age of 18. You need to just draft one in the later rounds at least every other year (more likely every year or 2 out of 3) and keep trying to hit the jackpot with development. Goalies are so far from complete at 18, heck most goalies don't start to make an impact until 25.

Puck-stopping patience: Teams wait on goalies at NHL draft

100% this. You should never use a 1st on a goalie. We definitely do need an upgrade on Subban though if we are going to conserve Flower more than we have, even if it's just a cheap UFA like Kinkaid or Talbot.

Nor should you ever draft based on need. So whoever the org deems the BPA is who they should take.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think Knight has to be high up on the list, what are we going to do, get another winger? Who are the defensemen or centers who are considered great prospects who would be available at 17.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think Knight has to be high up on the list, what are we going to do, get another winger? Who are the defensemen or centers who are considered great prospects who would be available at 17.

So rare someone viewed as a great prospect is there at 17. Guys develop and become good from that spot, but not going to find someone everyone agrees is worthwhile after first few picks. Why its silly that some pundits call out teams for going off the chart and picking a prospect rated lower than the official rankings. Teams have to think about what they have in their system both in prospects and in opportunities to make better picks. If you think your coaches are good at bringing up a puck carrying D man and you figure in 2 years you can get him time at the AHL or even NHL level, that's what you should pick, not the LW or G the rankings say you should who may not have the development path nor the opportunity to play in front of them.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think we need to build up our prospect pool most of all, the defense definitely could use a top 4 RD but we also need to restock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad