Confirmed with Link: Golden Knights Claim Valentin Zykov

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Zykov’s short comings is his speed.

He’s strong on the puck, and a horse around the net, with great hands.

Best used on the PP to get in the goalies head. And he has driven a few nuts.

Really wanted him to work out in Carolina, and he did get himself a 2y contract from his short stint last season.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Zykov’s short comings is his speed.

He’s strong on the puck, and a horse around the net, with great hands.

Best used on the PP to get in the goalies head. And he has driven a few nuts.

Really wanted him to work out in Carolina, and he did get himself a 2y contract from his short stint last season.
Fancy seeing you here :laugh:

Be interested to see what he can do for us.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How long did it take you guys for his visa to get sorted out and join the team? Looking for an estimate for Del Zotto.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
How long did it take you guys for his visa to get sorted out and join the team? Looking for an estimate for Del Zotto.

There was probably a delay with Sunday, NYE and New Year's Day...

MDZ should be able to join the Ducks by Monday. Maybe even Saturday.

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
Carolina resident here, curious as to how Zykov is doing on Vegas. Was surprised to see the Canes release him as he had such a great year last year in the AHL. How has he looked for you guys?

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Carolina resident here, curious as to how Zykov is doing on Vegas. Was surprised to see the Canes release him as he had such a great year last year in the AHL. How has he looked for you guys?
He has been okay. Problem is he is okay when the entire team is struggling to get their footing. He spent time on the third and first line. Held his own for the most part, but most games he participated in were losses. I'd argue he was one of the best players in a half the games he's played, but given the team's downtime, he cannot find any true role.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He has been okay. Problem is he is okay when the entire team is struggling to get their footing. He spent time on the third and first line. Held his own for the most part, but most games he participated in were losses. I'd argue he was one of the best players in a half the games he's played, but given the team's downtime, he cannot find any true role.

Funny he's kind of like Tatar, just came at a much lower cost.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not sure why Vegas signed him if they won't play him.
Didn't really sign him, they claimed him off waivers after he was put on waivers for the second time this season. It's not like Vegas is the only team that hasn't played him while he's available on the roster this season.

The theory is that the team wanted a Russian to help convince Gusev that Vegas isn't as awful as Shipachyov said it was.

Reactions: derriko

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Didn't really sign him, they claimed him off waivers after he was put on waivers for the second time this season. It's not like Vegas is the only team that hasn't played him while he's available on the roster this season.

The theory is that the team wanted a Russian to help convince Gusev that Vegas isn't as awful as Shipachyov said it was.

Shipachyov is a whiny brat that didn't want to be sent down.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Shipachyov is a whiny brat that didn't want to be sent down.
Well yeah, but I'm guessing Vadim's talked to Gusev more than anyone that likes Las Vegas has spoken to Gusev. Now there's a Russian hockey player (Zykov) that's played in the CSKA program at the same time as Gusev living here and playing for the Knights. At the very least, there's a player that speaks Russian that can spread truth in Russian when they speak.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Is Zykov really going to be impressed with his time in Vegas if he isn’t even playing? He might think the team doesn’t like him if they gave him a shot, and then just suddenly stopped playing him.

Not saying he should play though. I think picking up another Russian player and then benching him carries a risk as you don’t want to have another Shipachyov situation, and then you end up with 2 Russian players saying they hated their time in Vegas.

Okay maybe he isn’t Shipachyov, but I doubt he is thinking “Wow my time in Vegas has been amazing even though I never get to play!”

If you get one Russian player saying Vegas sucks and another saying “Meh, it wasn’t great” then I don’t think that looks good either.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I remember SinBin saying how great Zykov was. I wonder what the opinion is now lol.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Is Zykov really going to be impressed with his time in Vegas if he isn’t even playing? He might think the team doesn’t like him if they gave him a shot, and then just suddenly stopped playing him.

Not saying he should play though. I think picking up another Russian player and then benching him carries a risk as you don’t want to have another Shipachyov situation, and then you end up with 2 Russian players saying they hated their time in Vegas.

Okay maybe he isn’t Shipachyov, but I doubt he is thinking “Wow my time in Vegas has been amazing even though I never get to play!”

If you get one Russian player saying Vegas sucks and another saying “Meh, it wasn’t great” then I don’t think that looks good either.

I don't think he's here to sell the idea to Gusev so much as help him out when he gets to camp next season.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I don't think the issue is that he's not getting time. That has nothing to do with it, IMO.

It's convincing Gusev that Vegas is a nice place with good facilities and a strong organization that takes care of players instead of a shitty village in the middle of the desert where mass shootings happen all the time.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I don't think the issue is that he's not getting time. That has nothing to do with it, IMO.

It's convincing Gusev that Vegas is a nice place with good facilities and a strong organization that takes care of players instead of a ****ty village in the middle of the desert where mass shootings happen all the time.

But I think the reason Shipachyov was so negative about his time in Vegas is he was bitter about not playing. People that get emotional about one thing can suddenly become irrational about the entire experience.

That’s why I was concerned about Zykov being overly negative about his entire experience if he becomes bitter about not playing. And it’s not uncommon for players to overestimate their own performance/abilities and think it’s a joke if they aren’t in the lineup.

Or maybe Zykov is a positive guy with nice things to say about being with the Knights. Honestly who knows?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
But I think the reason Shipachyov was so negative about his time in Vegas is he was bitter about not playing. People that get emotional about one thing can suddenly become irrational about the entire experience.

That’s why I was concerned about Zykov being overly negative about his entire experience if he becomes bitter about not playing. And it’s not uncommon for players to overestimate their own performance/abilities and think it’s a joke if they aren’t in the lineup.

Or maybe Zykov is a positive guy with nice things to say about being with the Knights. Honestly who knows?
Shipachyov was a star coming here and getting dropped to the second line and then Chicago.
Zykov is a guy that got waived twice in a season.

It's a different perspective. Zykov doesn't have anywhere near the talent to complain about ice time. However, his actual city/team experience is equal to Shippy's. Everyone on the big boy team gets the same experience. The detailers still wash their cars for free, the chefs still prepare their lunches the way the want them, etc., etc..

ETA: Hell, on the coaching end, it might be even better for Valentin over Vadim since it's not adversarial.

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
If claiming Zykov helps encourage Gusev or eases his transition, it's a worthwhile move. Just hope he has good things to say about Vegas even though he is not playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->