Confirmed with Link: Golden Knights Claim Valentin Zykov

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Feels a lot like trying to fit six pounds of shit in a five pound bag once these injuries and “injuries” clear up.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
He must score the crucial goal in PO series vs Edmonton. It's a usual thing for Vegas that we get players denied by some other teams, and these players finish their ex-teams in PO.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Think a lot more coming. Quick thoughts: new 3rd line right winger and trying to prove Russians can work in Vegas for Gusev.

Patches' wife is Russian btw. She's Maxim Afinogenov's sister.

But knowing McPhee Zykov could be back on waivers within a week.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Confused by this move. VGK can't keep all the wingers they already have up, once patches is healthy. Forget about Haula, even.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
One thought is that perhaps this is an indication that Haula is totally done for the year.

And the Gusev connections are interesting. I don't know much about Zykov's game but if he is equal to or slightly better than the weakest forward on our roster perhaps he adds more value?

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm sure there are some angles to it we may never find out. Perhaps they were worried a rival with a better record might want to claim him or there is some sort of trade angle that is being contemplated where they need another 3rd liner. If either are true, chances are he gets maybe a game or two and then gets waived again with almost no downside to the team and no one publicly hears the motivation behind the move.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
There's got to be something working.

I don't know if it's a trade or throwing someone on waivers. I suppose Zykov could go on waivers too. :laugh:

GMGM Flamboyantly puts Zyjov on Waivers, quietly someone else is also put on waivers, and with the fireworks, the daredevils, the Elvis's and *insert every other "typical" Vegas distraction here*

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
One thought is that perhaps this is an indication that Haula is totally done for the year.

And the Gusev connections are interesting. I don't know much about Zykov's game but if he is equal to or slightly better than the weakest forward on our roster perhaps he adds more value?

I think Zykov is only going to be successful as the lumbering 3rd wheel on a scoring line that does the netfront work for skill players. Skating is his issue and his skill level is not high enough to overcome that. The positive is that he's willing to do just that. The negative is that there are only so many spots for a player of that type in a lineup. He's a niche player.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
What is the point of this Zykov kid? Is he better than Pirri? Is he better than Lindberg? Carpenter? Macek? Carr? Etc..

I’m not understanding this waiver pick up at all. In order to get this kid we either have to send Pirri back down, which would suck. Or put Lindberg, Carpenter or Nosek on waivers. So is he really better than them?

Maybe the Maple Leaves said “we really need Zykov and John Merril. We can’t claim Zykov off the waivers but if you do, well trade you Nylander for Zykov and Merril”. Yup, that’s probably what it is.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's hilarious to think that Gallant would put him in for tomorrow's game even if he could play.

One thing that confuses me, he was on Carolina's roster this season, in these here United States of Murica. Why does he need to clear immigration again?
Perhaps just an excuse to delay. He might require a new work visa with the new employer, though.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
What is the point of this Zykov kid? Is he better than Pirri? Is he better than Lindberg? Carpenter? Macek? Carr? Etc..

I’m not understanding this waiver pick up at all. In order to get this kid we either have to send Pirri back down, which would suck. Or put Lindberg, Carpenter or Nosek on waivers. So is he really better than them?

Maybe the Maple Leaves said “we really need Zykov and John Merril. We can’t claim Zykov off the waivers but if you do, well trade you Nylander for Zykov and Merril”. Yup, that’s probably what it is.

I think he is better than Oscar. Hard to say whether he would benefit the team more than Carpenter or Nosek because I don’t know if we could use him on STs.

Reactions: Knightmare

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

You can never have too many Golden Misfits.:naughty:

If he didn't cost anything to acquire, it doesn't hurt I suppose. Maybe he goes back on waivers and clears....more AHL depth if Pirri sticks with the club the rest of the way.

Though I guess the Knights do need another rightie that drives to the net. I hear this kid likes to park himself in the blue paint.

Reactions: Knightmare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad