Golden Gophers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
flyers guy said:
Isn't R.J. Anderson supposed to play for the Gophers in a year or two as well?

well, R.J. is a Senior in HS this year, so barring any USHL time after this season he will be wearing the 'M' next year. I didn't include him in the "future superstars club" because I don't think he holds a first round grade...although I would imagine he will be an elite college defenseman. That blue-line is unreal for the next several years...the best I have seen for the Gopher ever...at least in potential.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
chaachie12 said:
well, R.J. is a Senior in HS this year, so barring any USHL time after this season he will be wearing the 'M' next year. I didn't include him in the "future superstars club" because I don't think he holds a first round grade...although I would imagine he will be an elite college defenseman. That blue-line is unreal for the next several years...the best I have seen for the Gopher ever...at least in potential.
I heard that R.J. is supposed to be better than Goligoski, so that in itself makes him sound like quite the player. His profile on HF says he "compares favorably to Jordan Leopold at the same age." So ever since I read that I've been salivating, although the chances he becomes another Leopold are very small, but I can still hope.

I also heard from somewhere that he might play in the USHL just because of Minnesota's defensive depth.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
flyers guy said:
I also heard from somewhere that he might play in the USHL just because of Minnesota's defensive depth.

There'll be room for him. Judd Stevens will graduate which leaves five regulars... Goligoski, Harrington, Peltier, Hagemo, and Vannelli. If Anderson is as good as advertised he should be able to beat out Kennedy and Atherton for the sixth spot.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
R.J. had 29 goals, 56 assists for 85 points. That is in roughly 40 games, give or take 10. Those are some nice #'s for a d-man. Of course he played for a really talented Centenial team that won the AA state championship, still those are amazing numbers.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I don't think it's a coincidence that Minnesota's program rebounded around the same time that the NHL came back to Minny. Nothing gets the serious athletes to stick with hockey like seeing the pros on a regular basis, and I haven't seen this many good players come out of Minnesota high schools since the days of the Brotens, Christian, Ramsay, and Housley. If the feeder system keeps providing the Gophers with the talent, Lucia has shown himself to be the best coach the Gophs have had since Brooks, and the trophies will keep coming.

Prof_it

Sep 2, 2004
The Gophers have greatly impressed me to this point of the season. They really have a nice combination of speed, skill, and aggressiveness.

Lucia really has been a tremendous coach. His recruiting has been outstanding. IMO his willingness to recruit out of state, like the Potulny's, has been a big reason why. In state has always been such a hotbed of hockey players, just look at the highschool scene, mix in some out of staters and let the cream rise to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad