Golden Boy Shortlist 2020

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You said twice that "it should be Davies" and "it's between Davies and Camavinga for me" for an award that is essentially the best player that season, the only one of Davies' career...

I mean there's more to it than that, but does me thinking that van Dijk should have won the Ballon d'Or last season mean I think that he's a better player than Messi (before this becomes a thing, I've stated many times I think Messi is the best player of all time)? Seasonal awards are not a measure of the best player necessarily. You can have a better season or accomplish more in a season without being the better player.

Nope. That was PB. I don't believe I've ever commented on Davies performances on this forum. I will say that I don't think he was the second best Bayern player this season, though. I guess that evens it up for me putting you in with everyone else who otherwise prefer the best attacking players to the best defenders. I'm really not that interested in the substance of the argument and there aren't good public statistics to compare an attacking player to a defensive player.

Yeah, sorry, it was late and I was replying on my phone. My bad. You're also right about it being difficult to compare attacking and defending players and their relative impacts on the team, which is why I really think these awards should be broken up in general but that's another discussion altogether.

Actually, it's not that close. Davies has 2808 minutes, and Sancho has 3141. But again, I never said its specifically the minutes. It's all the context surrounding those minutes, which you are missing. Sancho has been a star, option #1 for his team since game 1. For two months to start the season Davies was a bench player. That clearly matters.

How is that not close? Also how does that not make it more impressive that a young player bought as a winger to be a prospect by one of the best teams in the world, with almost no expectations, fought his way to a starting spot on the team and has starred in it ever since? If anything that's more impressive in a single season context considering Sancho was already a starter last season also.

This is exactly what I mean when I say you are missing the point. You are trying to read me a summary of his season. It's good, maybe very good. It's still not going to be good enough to realistically contend for this award. The same can be said about nearly 20 other players, which I named.

I think it's pretty weird that you think some of those players are even close to what Davies has shown this season, but to each their own I guess.

You are right. None of them have played for Bayern Munich, but the award isn't about awarding the best young player at Bayern Munich. There are a lot of good players up for the award. You have to play a world class season. Not starting for the first two months of a season is probably enough to say a player won't contend to win the award, and then being a LB makes things doubly harder. Good season. Shouldn't contend for the award.

Considering people are already pushing the narrative that Davies is the best LB in the world, at 19, it's pretty fair to say he's performing at a 'World Class' level. His not starting the season as a starter, again, should be irrelevant given how much he's ended up playing and how he's played with the opportunity. The point about it being for Bayern Munich is that it's a lot easier to break through as a teenager outside of the top clubs in the world given the expectations on those clubs; that he's doing it for them despite their having other world class options to use there (Alaba for example) speaks to his ability. Lucas Hernandez has essentially become a back-up and they paid what, 88m for him?

And one thing to keep in mind is that it was supposedly used against Sancho last season that he wasn't a starter at the beginning of the season, and he wasn't option #1 until the end of the season. He still managed 13G+19A last season, and he still didn't win.

Does that really make sense given Joao Felix won it last year and he wasn't a starter at the beginning of the season either? I also don't think Felix should have won the award but eh.

Exactly, and Sergino Dest has 2G, 6A as a RB. He had an excellent season with Ajax. Won their prestigious Young Player of the Year Award. Linked with every top club in Europe. You don't see anyone suggesting he should win the award over star attackers. And if someone did, I'd call it out as just as ridiculous. There's no reason homerism should factor into these discussions.

That you think that Dest and Saka are even having comparable seasons to what Davies is doing says about all I need to know (speaking of homerism...) Tell me about the prestige of Ajax's young player of the year (we'll ignore that even Ajax fans don't think that Dest was that good, nor deserving of a move to a top club). Once again though, there's a major difference between playing for Ajax and playing for Bayern Munich and especially in this context since Dest was especially poor in the 'second half' of the season and wouldn't even have been playing if there was a viable alternative on the team.

No one ever argued that Marcelo was better than Messi or Lahm better than Ronaldo, but all of a sudden a LB is more valuable than an attacking midfielder or striker?

I've seen arguments for Lahm over some of the very best attackers. Most people just pay attention to the flashy stuff and offensive numbers so I don't think there's much to read into that. There have been plenty of non-attacking players that have been better than Ronaldo at least throughout his career at various points. Messi is just on a different level of player though so it's not really a fair comparison, but even he has had seasons where you could make an argument for a non-attacking player (van Dijk last season, Modric rightly or wrongly the year before, Sneijder certainly had a case, among many others). Soccer isn't black and white and I'm not in the camp that believes offensive production necessarily outweighs other aspects of the game.

You can acknowledge a season as being very good, and still be realistic that a player shouldn't win an award.

Sure you can, and that applies to a lot of great young players that have had fantastic seasons this year. For me, Sancho, Haaland, Davies and Camavinga are above the rest...most by a decent margin, guys like Dest (especially lol), Saka, Torres, Vinicius Jr, Martinelli, Greenwood, Szoboszlai, Boadu and Reinier aren't close to those other 4 in terms of impact and performance this season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hot take: Haaland's smaller amount of minutes actually makes him more likely to win because his goals/minute rate is the main thing that's absurdly impressive and immediately eye catching about him
I also don't see why Haaland's time at Salzburg should be discounted anyway? He's essentially continued that form at Dortmund and it's still a top league where he was doing it in the CL as well. I think Sancho contributes more overall but we shouldn't be judging Haaland solely on his half season at Dortmund.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haaland has played about half the season that Sancho has at the top level. He shouldn't realistically contend for the award, unless he overwhelming was better than him in the second half of the season, which he wasn't.

And this nonsense that Haaland produced when it mattered and Sancho didn't tells me you are only looking at Champions League stats. If you don't think Sancho has produced when it mattered, I don't know what to tell you. You've missed a full season if you think Sancho hasn't produced when it mattered. I don't know what else you'd ask of him.
Go an look up BVB's results since Haaland is there.
HE is the key for BVB. HE is scoring the key goals.

And it's not even close.

Reactions: les Habs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

And it's not even close.

You are right. I haven't yet seen him play since he got there. I'll have to look up the results to see what you are saying.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Seems to me Davies is getting a little underrated here. From everything I've seen, read and heard he's having a fantastic season. IMO he needs to up his defensive game a bit as I think he's too reliant on his pace to save him at times, but overall he's had a helluva season. Maybe he shouldn't be in the discussion compared to Haaland or Sancho, but that doesn't mean he's far off. A lot of other players on that list who shouldn't even be there really.

Much talk about Davies. Here’s another LB with the exact same stats for you: Bukayo Saka

He’s also played 9 games fewer than Davies.

Davies shouldn’t be in the discussion. It’s all about the two guys in Dortmund.

There are more stats that goals and assists and Davies has done it at a higher level. I don't think anybody is going to take Saka over Davies right now apart from maybe Saka's mum. And @Pavel Buchnevich that goes for Dest as well.

Hot take: Haaland's smaller amount of minutes actually makes him more likely to win because his goals/minute rate is the main thing that's absurdly impressive and immediately eye catching about him

As it should be, but he's also played consistently. Better yet just watch him and you can see what the fuss is about.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

And it's not even close.

If you prefer Haaland to Sancho because of CL scoring, that's fine. I don't get how you can turn around and then hype up a goal Haaland scored last match against a relegation team "to save BVB's ass" and discount what Sancho has done in the Bundesliga though. Sancho certainly scored decisive goals against inferior opponents in the second half of the season too (vs. Freiburg and Paderborn). Dortmund were probably going to have a much better second half anyway, and have been generally beating up on inferior Bundesliga opposition in the second half of the season by a large enough margin that you can't credit nearly all of it to one player.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
True, they've had easy wins, but when there's a tight game, and again since both are here, it's Haaland producing, not Sancho.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If you prefer Haaland to Sancho because of CL scoring, that's fine. I don't get how you can turn around and then hype up a goal Haaland scored last match against a relegation team "to save BVB's ass" and discount what Sancho has done in the Bundesliga though. Sancho certainly scored decisive goals against inferior opponents in the second half of the season too (vs. Freiburg and Paderborn). Dortmund were probably going to have a much better second half anyway, and have been generally beating up on inferior Bundesliga opposition in the second half of the season by a large enough margin that you can't credit nearly all of it to one player.

I don't know that he's discounting what Sancho has done, but Haaland has clearly had a big impact. He completely turned the match against Augsburg, he scored the only two goals for BVB in the PSG tie and he's been scoring a ton of goals in general. Then when you look at what he did with Salzburg in the CL alone and it's even more impressive. I think he needs to show up more in the bigger matches in the Bundesliga, but it's early days. You should be happy though because they seem to play really well together and it looks like you'll have them both for another season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know that he's discounting what Sancho has done, but Haaland has clearly had a big impact. He completely turned the match against Augsburg, he scored the only two goals for BVB in the PSG tie and he's been scoring a ton of goals in general. Then when you look at what he did with Salzburg in the CL alone and it's even more impressive. I think he needs to show up more in the bigger matches in the Bundesliga, but it's early days. You should be happy though because they seem to play really well together and it looks like you'll have them both for another season.

Evilo is absolutely trying to discount what Sancho has done. He's been doing it for weeks. Apparently Sancho only plays well against bad teams and in unimportant games.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

I agree that it's fine to prefer Haaland to Sancho because of his CL scoring. It is close for me. I think BVB have a big match problem that goes way beyond Sancho, and I'm hesitant to ding Sancho too harshly for his poor scoring in those matches. And yeah, I'm just happy to hopefully have both of them for one more year. I don't have a very strong preference for either.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh f*** :laugh:
I'm trying to discount what he's done BECAUSE YOU SAID HE WAS CLOSE TO MBAPPE.
He isn't, and not even close.

And now I say Haaland produces more and in more important moments since january.
Have you checked what I said before saying I discount him?

No, of course you didn't.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I agree that it's fine to prefer Haaland to Sancho because of his CL scoring. It is close for me. I think BVB have a big match problem that goes way beyond Sancho, and I'm hesitant to ding Sancho too harshly for his poor scoring in those matches. And yeah, I'm just happy to hopefully have both of them for one more year. I don't have a very strong preference for either.

I was referring to Haaland when it came to BVB's bigger matches in the Bundesliga, but as you say probably goes beyond them. I would look to Favre there.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't care who wins. I'm just happy that I have the following from those nominated on my team in our keeper league:

Yacine Adli
Benoit Badiashile
Alphonso Davies
Ansu Fati
Willem Geubbels
Amine Gouiri
Ryan Gravenberch
Erling Haaland
Reinier
William Saliba
Sandro Tonali

One more:

Eduardo Quaresma

LOL

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Geubbels has no business being here. He's not even playing. Gouiri was injured most of the year, same thing. Adli had ups and downs, but he shouldn't be there either.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Geubbels has no business being here. He's not even playing. Gouiri was injured most of the year, same thing. Adli had ups and downs, but he shouldn't be there either.

Totally agree. Like I said before, a lot of names that shouldn't be there. A lot of them are based on reputation than actual performance. That said all the players you referenced have reputations for a reason as you of course know.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Since they play together at BVB (45 goals in 18 games)
Sancho : 8G+7A
Haaland : 15G+3A

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Haaland scores a lot of goals. Davies wins lot of trophies. We’ll see how much they weighed the accomplishments this season. Seems to change depending on the year.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
But again, Camavinga should be among the favs. But since he's a DM, he won't be.
I think Camavinga is the best young player footballer but based on his accomplishment versus Haaland or Davies or Sancho I could not vote him as the Golden Boy.

He could be the guy next year though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad