GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 26 - Canada vs Finland

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
U20 Gold and Mens gold against pretty stacked Sweden, Russia etc... I think Finland is atm. Best Hockey counry in the world. Expecting 2020 dominating with our Young core. 2022 at China we are biggest favourite for gold with Jalonen as A Coach.

Expecting many championship hangovers (aka big time choke in the next tournament)...

...well at least in U20 there will be a hangover. That's how it usually goes for our team in juniors.

With Jukka Jalonen in charge of the men's team and using the core of this team hopefully and adding some humble Finnish NHL stars could result in to another championsip next year.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If we think about absolutely best top-32 ice hockey coaches in the world, Jukka Jalonen is there without a slightest doubt. But the fact still is that for some reason NHL teams hires some rookies (that is, no previous experience of coaching full pros) as head coaches relatively often. Like old players.

Jukka Jalonen is one of the best tournament coaches in the world for sure. If NHL coaches would consider hiring him, then they'd take a deep look at his time in Jokerit, SKA & even HPK. I think it would be more meaningful for them how JJ fared with clubs than in tournaments.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Crushed that Canada did not win. This was one of those teams that seemed to be able to pull out those much needed goals at the last moments, literally scoring with 2 seconds left against Slovakia and.04 sec against Switzerland it looked like this was a team that was going to get gold. Also I really liked the teams chemistry some Team Canadas they never seem to gel well this team it seemed to gel pretty quickly. They just couldn't get past Finaland :(

Reactions: notDatsyuk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Expecting many championship hangovers (aka big time choke in the next tournament)...

...well at least in U20 there will be a hangover. That's how it usually goes for our team in juniors.

With Jukka Jalonen in charge of the men's team and using the core of this team hopefully and adding some humble Finnish NHL stars could result in to another championsip next year.
It's indeed quite difficult to think about the next year, as the reigning champs. Two-peats are a rare occurrence, so the only way appears to be down. In the ideal world, we would get a stacked team, with NHLers jumping onto a chance to study under Jalonen en masse, and it would lead to another gold. More realistically, one can hope is that it would be a soft landing from the top, with another medal.

In some ways, the Swedes were the lucky party here (again). They two-peated, and when they were finally ousted this year, many of them seemed to jump Finland's bandwagon, and they then got to cheer along as one of the most improbable hockey stories of the century was written.

Reactions: Koijari

noliz79

May 26, 2014
Other countries will learn about the way Finland won this year. Canada found the way to in the third period to force the play to the Finnish zone. It's not the first time they have done it but now it was too late. Maybe couple of "soft years" from Finland side made others not to take Finnish "Meidän peli" so serious threat any more. This reminded them and they will be more ready next year.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

A commander in the Finnish Police reports of the woes of a patrol police officer at the market square on Monday. Of circa 25 citizens knocking on the patrol car's window, 24 did it in order to ask "Did Mörkö hit it in".

Reactions: king89

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Championship celebrations are rabidly going "old" becoming rather artificially prolonged tiresome thing. Spontaneous, unrestricted joy changes soon enough to frustration Does it ever end? -feeling when collective flow goes down, and other things attached to the victory and hockey become more important things. Mörkö-meme and phenomenon is nice thing when attached to the person or The Team, but it is attached to practically everything from Mörkö-pizzas to names of brands and products whole thing start suck. Soon there are maybe Mörkö-vacuum cleaners, Mörkö-cola, Mörkö-trips travels, Mörkö-lingerie, Mörkö-toothpastes, Mörkö-model trucks, Mörkölä this and that, Mörkö-rock... etc. nothing relevant to hockey. People just cynically try cash from the hype and phenom, and cynical consumers think its so damn cool.

At least these myriad enterprises and businesses should give some percentage of their 'Mörkö-profits' for causes promoting Finnish Junior hockey. Hollowness of transparency of their mercenary and greedy marketing would at least become more easily tolerable when knowing that it indeed helps future hockey players in this country.

Worse, they will likely kill the most delightful and lovely aspects of true Mörkö-phenom and hype with all kind BS.

No. I'm not in bad mood. Still smiling. Wide. :)

Reactions: 1OApick

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Mörkö-meme and phenomenon is nice thing when attached to the person or The Team, but it is attached to practically everything from Mörkö-pizzas to names of brands and products whole thing start suck.

I went to Prisma yesterday here in Tampere and they were selling mustamakkara (a type of Finnish blood sausage that's a Tampere specialty) with the name MÖRKÖ very visibly on display. I don't think that sucks because this local delicacy of ours has been called "mörkö" way before Anttila became a national hero:

Tässäkö tuleva hittimättö? Mörkö-lihiksen keksijä: ”Uskon, että tällä on menekkiä muuallakin kuin Tampereella”
mörkö | Urbaani Sanakirja

I bet the local football jihadists from Futisforum here in Tampere don't appreciate this marketing trick one bit though, but they probably wouldn't be buying mustamakkara anyhow because it's such a redneck thing to eat. They like to eat tofu and soy products instead.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Soon there are maybe Mörkö-vacuum cleaners, Mörkö-cola, Mörkö-trips travels, Mörkö-lingerie, Mörkö-toothpastes, Mörkö-model trucks, Mörkölä this and that, Mörkö-rock... etc. nothing relevant to hockey. People just cynically try cash from the hype and phenom, and cynical consumers think its so damn cool.

I can't link but already a couple of days back a friend sent me a link to an adult webstore freshly selling an almost 12 inch product called "Mörkö-Marko's stick".

Mikke Granlund's aircrank it ain't.

(and yes, I did check: their search won't return anything with query "Brad Marchand")

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Why is this thread still going lmao? Congrats to Finland well deserved but in single-game elimination tournaments ANYBODY can win.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Why is this thread still going lmao?
Because the Finns are still celebrating, obviously. And if you're wondering when that will end, it will be when the booze runs out.

So sit down and be patient, sonny, this may still take a while.

Reactions: Husqvarna

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Crushed that Canada did not win. This was one of those teams that seemed to be able to pull out those much needed goals at the last moments, literally scoring with 2 seconds left against Slovakia and.04 sec against Switzerland it looked like this was a team that was going to get gold. Also I really liked the teams chemistry some Team Canadas they never seem to gel well this team it seemed to gel pretty quickly. They just couldn't get past Finaland :(

Canada was crazy good in the tournament though, I didn't expect them to be 1st after the preliminary round and like Finland, Canada's roster was weaker IMO than usually. Great players and talent for sure, but it wasn't an overkill, especially after Tavares got injured, I felt that Canada could miss the medal games. Still, Canada improved as the tournament progressed and got those clutch wins against Slovakia and Switzerland. Canada in the gold medal game was the toughest team that Finland faced IMO.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

A commander in the Finnish Police reports of the woes of a patrol police officer at the market square on Monday. Of circa 25 citizens knocking on the patrol car's window, 24 did it in order to ask "Did Mörkö hit it in".

You forgot to explain to the non-Finnish audience that Morko (Anttila) "hitting it in" was a quip by the Finnish play-by-play legend Mr Mertaranta that instantly became a meme and that's why this is funny. It is often we need to explain where to laugh when we make a funny. I'm proud of that, it shows how we're unique.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
You forgot to explain to the non-Finnish audience that Morko (Anttila) "hitting it in" was a quip by the Finnish play-by-play legend Mr Mertaranta that instantly became a meme and that's why this is funny. It is often we need to explain where to laugh when we make a funny. I'm proud of that, it shows how we're unique.

Finland humour (and humor!) is very, very, very hard to explain to a non-Finn.

It's very dry like a Finnish sauna in the first run and sight but still full of irony and funny as hell for us who know the jive!

Believe it or not; but "Tuntematon Sotilas" is full of humour!

Quote: "A Finn soldier is worth 10 Russians - but what do you we do when the eleventh come?!"

"Mörkö" Antilla is a kinda anti-hero - and that's why Finland people will remember him for ever and ever, remember!

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
All kinds of curious coincidences have been noted between this win and the 2011 one. Here's one more I haven't spotted anywhere:

What year was the first time after 1995 when our WHC team had not a single returning player from the gold-winning squad?

What year was the first time after 2011 when our WHC team had not a single returning player from the gold-winning squad?
-I'll give you ONE guess...

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

They will google "loiko morko sisaan", and find any amount of self-explanatory content. They will become man who can fish and will eat every day.

muumipappa.jpg

Maybe they will in time learn how to defeat Mörkö.

#sportsmanlikeconduct

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->