GDT: Gold Medal Game - February 25 - Russia vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL @ people trying to say the inferiority complex is coming from Canadian fans, even if we wanted to its too late as European fans have cornered the market when it comes to hockey inferiority complexes.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Are you saying Canada winning in sochi should have an asterick bedside it becasuse the gold medal game was reffed by Canadian refs?

They beat the best teams in the world and did it on an ice size they rarely play on and did it in Russias home games to boot!!

And they were a dominant team in doing it. There is no asterick and you know it......its just sour grapes on your part/

Russias win in the 2018 olympics has an asterick on it and it always will as it should be, they won a tournament playing against inferior c-d level competition, it was the only way they could win it!!

Your gold this year means nothing and it never will. It was a best of the rest tournament and Russia by virtue of having the advantage to have better talant available to them won it..........and they barely were able to even do that.

It's basically worthless and every hockey fan knows it.

My opinion is that Canada was the most effective team in Sochi and probably would have won under any circumstances, but the fact that their games were officiated by Canadian refs diminishes their victory. Most officiating calls in hockey are discretionary, so you would have to literally analyze every significant event for discretionary decisions; for example, to call a penalty or not to call a penalty. Referees are human, so the decision to select a game ref who has a conflict of interest is ludicrous. This is what the NHL insisted on in order to agree to participation. So that gives everyone the right to question their motives.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My opinion is that Canada was the most effective team in Sochi and probably would have won under any circumstances, but the fact that their games were officiated by Canadian refs diminishes their victory. Most officiating calls in hockey are discretionary, so you would have to literally analyze every significant event for discretionary decisions; for example, to call a penalty or not to call a penalty. Referees are human, so the decision to select a game ref who has a conflict of interest is ludicrous. This is what the NHL insisted on in order to agree to participation. So that gives everyone the right to question their motives.

To have their win diminished those refs would have had to have made obvious calls in Canadas favor that allowed them to gain an advantage in winning and as we all know that didn't happen as they toyed with sweden and won easily against them.

Canada wrecked sweden in that gold medal game, you , me and every other fan that watched it knows this so why are you trying to mislead people here saying this crap? not that anyone here that is being honest will fall for it anyway.

The refs could have been from anywhere, they were a total non factor as Canada proved they were just far better then that swedish team.

Canada was the best, they proved it.

You appear to have struck out.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98 and Mehar

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In order to qualify as a best on best, there has to be a level playing field for competitive balance. That eliminates the Canada Cup, which was a privately-owned property of the NHLPA (Eagleson), who banned European refs from the playoff rounds. The only certifiable best on best was the 1972 series, and the next closest is the Olympic Games, which deserve an asterisk because, in the NHL era, Canadian referees were allowed to work Canada games. Try that in the FIFA World Cup sometime, and see the reaction.

Thanks for the laughs. Russians had home ice, and choked like dogs in 2014. I remember you said on this forum, before the Olympics in 2014, that Canada would struggle on the big ice (LOL). You said Russia was going to win (LOL). What happened with your prediction in 2014? Sucks that the NHL could not participate this year. This year's Canadian team would have been better than 2014.

They would have smacked down the overrated Russian defense, and destroyed them like they did in 2010, and 6-1 in the Gold Medal game of the 2015 World Championships (even though i consider the WHC not a true best on best). 2015 was the one year, Canada sent a very good team in the World Championships, and smacked down the Russians in the Gold Medal Game. Did the 6-1 Canada win over Russia in the Gold Medal Game of 2015, was because of the Refs? They were not Canadian if i recall. Your marshmallow defense, and overrated forwards would have been beaten again in 2018, if it was a true best on best. Canada, Sweden, USA, and Finland, would all have been ahead of Russia, in my opinion, if the NHL did not mess up by not going to the Olympics.

Congrats on your Gold. The only way Russia can win, is if 424 Canadians are not allowed to leave their NHL teams. Almost lost to a German team, that was not a powerhouse in any way. Canada's roster this year, had players i had to personally Google to find out who the hell they were. I did not even know who the hell that backup goalie was for Canada, who looked terrible in some of the goals against Germany. Russia have not won a best on best tournament in the Olympics, or any one of the World Cups. Failed in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014 Olympics. Failed in the 1996, 2004, and 2016 World Cup. The truth hurts.

Sweden won in 2006, and the Czechs won in 1998. The USA won the World Cup in 1996. If the Refs were biased for Canada, how come they won, and Russia did not?

Russia have choked like dogs in every best on best tournament. I guess when Canada crushed Russia 7-3 in 2010, was that because of the Canada Refs? Look at each of the Canada games in the Olympics, they did not win because of the Refs. They were the best team. One of the most stupidest comments i ever heard. Keep living in your delusions. The Soviets were only dominant in the Olympics in the 1970's and 1980's, by beating up everyone's amateurs, except 1980. This tournament did not prove anything, since it was another Spengler Cup type tournament. Realize what you won.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the laughs. Russians had home ice, and choked like dogs in 2014. I remember you said on this forum, before the Olympics in 2014, that Canada would struggle on the big ice (LOL). You said Russia was going to win (LOL). What happened with your prediction in 2014? Sucks that the NHL could not participate this year. This year's Canadian team would have been better than 2014.

They would have smacked down the overrated Russian defense, and destroyed them like they did in 2010, and 6-1 in the Gold Medal game of the 2015 World Championships (even though i consider the WHC not a true best on best). 2015 was the one year, Canada sent a very good team in the World Championships, and smacked down the Russians in the Gold Medal Game. Did the 6-1 Canada win over Russia in the Gold Medal Game of 2015, was because of the Refs? They were not Canadian if i recall. Your marshmallow defense, and overrated forwards would have been beaten again in 2018, if it was a true best on best. Canada, Sweden, USA, and Finland, would all have been ahead of Russia, in my opinion, if the NHL did not mess up by not going to the Olympics.

Congrats on your Gold. The only way Russia can win, is if 424 Canadians are not allowed to leave their NHL teams. Almost lost to a German team, that was not a powerhouse in any way. Canada's roster this year, had players i had to personally Google to find out who the hell they were. I did not even know who the hell that backup goalie was for Canada, who looked terrible in some of the goals against Germany. Russia have not won a best on best tournament in the Olympics, or any one of the World Cups. Failed in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014 Olympics. Failed in the 1996, 2004, 2010, and 2016 World Cup. The truth hurts.

Sweden won in 2006, and the Czechs won in 1998. The USA won the World Cup in 1996. If the Refs were biased for Canada, how come they won, and Russia did not?

Russia have choked like dogs in every best on best tournament. I guess when Canada crushed Russia 7-3 in 2010, was that because of the Canada Refs? Look at each of the Canada games in the Olympics, they did not win because of the Refs. They were the best team. One of the most stupidest comments i ever heard. Keep living in your delusions. The Soviets were only dominant in the Olympics in the 1970's and 1980's, by beating up everyone's amateurs, except 1980. This tournament did not prove anything, since it was another Spengler Cup type tournament. Realize what you won.
I love how vocal you are over such a minor issue. NA lost. It's a fact. Because of Gary Bettman and the NHL mayber. But it is your Gary and your league. Deal with it. Try winning next time. Every lengthy post from NA side again just proves you care, and care a lot about losing this one.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

The only delusional fans in hockey are generally Canadian upset that their game was taken away by the Soviets and refined to a point where it became an art form to watch. When it comes to discussing the great players of the game the arguments are so Canadian centric as to be embarrassing. Beating amateurs ? Another nonsensical myth. Asterisk this and asterisk that. All the record books won't have one. Germany are the real winners etc,etc. And all this rubbishing of the tournament is an indirect insult as well to the likes of the German team. If the gold medal is worthless then ergo so is the silver and even the bronze won by those Canadian amateurs who apparently play in a professional league.

The real upset is that Russia has another gold medal and are the Olympic champions and no matter the denials it does dig at the Canadian psyche. And as to the future given the number of rinks and players Canada have is more than most countries combined of couse they have a huge advantage. But Russia is on the way back after the shambles post 1990. I'm not surprised Don Cherry has survived so long in Canada having read the posts in this forum after the gold medal game.

Funniest one being Datsyuk is a loser. Look in the mirror mate.

Reactions: Vladnyc

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
LOL @ people trying to say the inferiority complex is coming from Canadian fans, even if we wanted to its too late as European fans have cornered the market when it comes to hockey inferiority complexes.

It's a pity that the NHL cannot do the decent thing and properly renumerate European clubs be they from Sweden, Russia, Finland and the Czech Republic and others for developing the players that make the NHL what it is. Without players like Barkov, Laine, Eriksson, Malkin, Pastrnak and all the others it would be a far more dismal league.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Man, 3 minutes in and vasiliev just manhandles our guy down to the ice and no call, then they go down the ice and score. But we can't breath on anyone and we get called.

Ah, the "world championships" in the 70's and 80's...........it was quite the experience, maddening. Tons of home cooking with the refs at that thing in those times. I am glad to see most of that obvious ****ing us over stuff is mostly gone today, they finally realized it couldn't go on or Canada would eventually say **** it and not bother sending teams anymore and they could not afford to lose Canadian participation because they were and are too big a draw. We used to not even be allowed to deliver a clean legal check at this thing or we would get a penalty, yesterdays gone, thank God!!

Also, that is a put together team a week or so before the games and not Canadas A whatsoever,it is a good team with some of canadas best talent but certainly not all it's best and this is a well oiled Soviet team with massive preparation time as a team and it is their A team.

I am not saying russia should not enjoy their gold at this olympics, but those past world championships being used as any sort of proof of winning best on best tournaments is laughable, cmon...........you can do better then that.

Use competitions where you actually did beat the best of the N.H.L..........like the Canada Cup in 1981 or challenge series. These old world championships arent any more proof of them winning best on bests then this olympics is.

Having said that, thanks for uploading this, what a blast from the past, it was fun watching this!!

Always an excuse eh ? This is what I mean. Hockey is fundamental to the Canadian pysche. It's a way of life (most of my family are Canadian), anything that undermines that seems to bring out all sorts of irrationality. For most Canadians the idea that any non Canadian player or team could ever be better than their best from the old dominion is simply unacceptable.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I am talking more specifically about the Soviet Union winning the Olympics in 1972, 1976, 1984, 1988, etc. Those teams are called legendary, but people forget they just beat up everyone's amateurs (except for the 1980 upset). No need to change the topic.

You then talk about the World Championships, which is not a best on best as well. Russia has never won a best on best tournament in the Olympics. Those are the facts. This year's tournament, was like winning the Spengler Cup. I would have said the same thing about Canada winning this year. I said if Canada had won Gold this year- it would have not proved anything. Russia needs to win a best on best tournament to call itself the best in the world. Some Russian posters, and media members, are saying they are the best now. What a joke.

Instead of talking nonsense I suggest you have a closer look at the rosters of the teams involved. Maybe ask Bill Barber about 1981.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The only delusional fans in hockey are generally Canadian upset that their game was taken away by the Soviets and refined to a point where it became an art form to watch. When it comes to discussing the great players of the game the arguments are so Canadian centric as to be embarrassing. Beating amateurs ? Another nonsensical myth. Asterisk this and asterisk that. All the record books won't have one. Germany are the real winners etc,etc. And all this rubbishing of the tournament is an indirect insult as well to the likes of the German team. If the gold medal is worthless then ergo so is the silver and even the bronze won by those Canadian amateurs who apparently play in a professional league.

The real upset is that Russia has another gold medal and are the Olympic champions and no matter the denials it does dig at the Canadian psyche. And as to the future given the number of rinks and players Canada have is more than most countries combined of couse they have a huge advantage. But Russia is on the way back after the shambles post 1990. I'm not surprised Don Cherry has survived so long in Canada having read the posts in this forum after the gold medal game.

Funniest one being Datsyuk is a loser. Look in the mirror mate.
The real delusional folks are the Russian posters, who now are thinking they are better than Canada, because they won this Spengler Cup tournament. I actually picked Russia to win Gold before the Olympics. I said Canada would be lucky to medal. Why would i be upset that Russia won? I only truly care about best on best tournaments. Frankly, to be honest, I did not even pay attention to these games until the Semis. It is hard to watch a Team Canada, that is filled with minor league talent, who could not make it in the NHL. My only problem is how some of the Russian posters are saying Canada had Canadian referees in the Olympics, and deserve an asterisk for their Gold Medals in 2014 and other years (lol). What a joke. I present facts. You cannot call yourself the best- if you have never won a best on best Olympics. 37 years ago, Russia won the Canada Cup in 1981. They have not won a best on best tournament since that time. That includes 6 World/Canada Cups since 1981, and 5 best on best Olympics. That is the only point I was making. Congrats on the Gold, but 424 Canadian players were playing in the NHL, while former NHL all stars like Datsyuk and Kovalchuk still played for Russia. Realize that this does not make you the best. That is my only point. Sadly, there was no NHL participation in the Olympics. If there was- I think Canada would had a better roster than 2014. It would have been an amazing Olympics, but we were left with a Spengler Cup level Olympics. The fault does lie with the NHL owners and Bettman. A real shame.

Reactions: jj cale and cg98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->