GDT: Gold Medal Game - February 25 - Russia vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Do you know how can I watch (and where) the replay of the final with NBC and CBC (or who had the rights in Canada?)

Post here or in private message, thanks. :)

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats to Russia on their Gold. I said before the tournament, that they would win, because Canada and every other country was like a minor league AHL team. Russia can only win, when it is not a best on best tournament. That is why they were so dominant in the 70's and 80's, beating up everyone's amateurs. I do not consider those Soviet Teams the best ever, when they were beating up a bunch of amateurs. We saw what happened in the last two best on best Olympics in 2010 and 2014- when Russia lost in the QF both times.

That is why they will continue to win the World Championships and tournaments like these, when every country is missing its best players. Congrats again to Russia, but it is a joke that some of the posters are now suggesting that they are the best in the world (LOL). What a joke. Russia failed in every best on best Olympics (1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014), and failed in the (1996 World Cup, 2004 World Cup, and 2016 World Cup, when teams had all NHL players).

If every team had its best players- Canada, USA, Sweden, and Finland would have most likely been the final 4. Germany and Russia would have been eliminated in the QF once again. Congrats on winning the equivalent of the Spengler Cup, yet these players and the Russian media are now saying they are the best in the world (LOL). Absolute joke statements. Based on the Canadian roster if all NHL players would have been available, Russia would have been smacked down if they faced Canada. It would have been a repeat of the 2010 QF's. Congrats on the Gold, but settle down and realize what you won, when 424 Canadians are in the NHL.

Last edited:

TomatoJos

Jan 5, 2018
Congrats to Russia on their Gold. I said before the tournament, that they would win, because Canada and every other country was like a minor league AHL team. Russia can only win, when it is not a best on best tournament. That is why they were so dominant in the 70's and 80's, beating up everyone's amateurs. I do not consider those Soviet Teams the best ever, when they were beating up a bunch of amateurs. We saw what happened in the last two best on best Olympics in 2010 and 2014- when Russia lost in the QF both times.

That is why they will continue to win the World Championships and tournaments like these, when every country is missing its best players. Congrats again to Russia, but it is a joke that some of the posters are now suggesting that they are the best in the world (LOL). What a joke. Russia failed in every best on best Olympics (1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, and 2014), and failed in the (1996 World Cup, 2004 World Cup, and 2016 World Cup, when teams had all NHL players).

If every team had its best players- Canada, USA, Sweden, and Finland would have most likely been the final 4. Germany and Russia would have been eliminated in the QF once again. Congrats on winning the equivalent of the Spengler Cup, yet these players and the Russian media are now saying they are the best in the world (LOL). Absolute joke statements. Based on the Canadian roster if all NHL players would have been available, Russia would have been smacked down if they faced Canada. It would have been a repeat of the 2010 QF's. Congrats on the Gold, but settle down and realize what you won, when 424 Canadians are in the NHL.

Now look at the names of the Canadian "amateurs" that Russians beat in the 1980s world championships:

Stacked teams with
Gretzky,
Messier,
MacInnis,
Hawerchuk,
Coffey,
Yzerman,
Gartner,
Bellows,
Gilmour,
Fuhr,
Glen Anderson,
Scott Stevens,
Hartsburg,
Propp,
Ciccarelli
To name a few...

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

hahaha who the hell cares.
Germany got the Silver after beating a way better Team Canada and Russia was the favorite entering the Olympics and they have won the whole Thing. That's one more Gold medal for them. Just accept it and move on.

Reactions: BMann

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

Are you gloating?
Team USSR win Canada in 81.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

You must have missed the Canada Cups.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Here is a nice video. And here is a roster of those amateur Canadians.

Here is another video and another roster.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Man, 3 minutes in and vasiliev just manhandles our guy down to the ice and no call, then they go down the ice and score. But we can't breath on anyone and we get called.

Ah, the "world championships" in the 70's and 80's...........it was quite the experience, maddening. Tons of home cooking with the refs at that thing in those times. I am glad to see most of that obvious f***ing us over stuff is mostly gone today, they finally realized it couldn't go on or Canada would eventually say f*** it and not bother sending teams anymore and they could not afford to lose Canadian participation because they were and are too big a draw. We used to not even be allowed to deliver a clean legal check at this thing or we would get a penalty, yesterdays gone, thank God!!

Also, that is a put together team a week or so before the games and not Canadas A whatsoever,it is a good team with some of canadas best talent but certainly not all it's best and this is a well oiled Soviet team with massive preparation time as a team and it is their A team.

I am not saying russia should not enjoy their gold at this olympics, but those past world championships being used as any sort of proof of winning best on best tournaments is laughable, cmon...........you can do better then that.

Use competitions where you actually did beat the best of the N.H.L..........like the Canada Cup in 1981 or challenge series. These old world championships arent any more proof of them winning best on bests then this olympics is.

Having said that, thanks for uploading this, what a blast from the past, it was fun watching this!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mehar

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Now look at the names of the Canadian "amateurs" that Russians beat in the 1980s world championships:

Stacked teams with
Gretzky,
Messier,
MacInnis,
Hawerchuk,
Coffey,
Yzerman,
Gartner,
Bellows,
Gilmour,
Fuhr,
Glen Anderson,
Scott Stevens,
Hartsburg,
Propp,
Ciccarelli
To name a few...

I am talking more specifically about the Soviet Union winning the Olympics in 1972, 1976, 1984, 1988, etc. Those teams are called legendary, but people forget they just beat up everyone's amateurs (except for the 1980 upset). No need to change the topic.

You then talk about the World Championships, which is not a best on best as well. Russia has never won a best on best tournament in the Olympics. Those are the facts. This year's tournament, was like winning the Spengler Cup. I would have said the same thing about Canada winning this year. I said if Canada had won Gold this year- it would have not proved anything. Russia needs to win a best on best tournament to call itself the best in the world. Some Russian posters, and media members, are saying they are the best now. What a joke.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You must have missed the Canada Cups.

There have been 5 Canada Cups, and 3 World Cups of Hockey. I give credit to the Soviets for winning in 1981. 37 years later, and they have not won a best on best tournament, and now the Russian media and posters are calling themselves the best hockey nation for winning a Gold Medal in a Spengler Cup level tournament, in this year's Olympics (where 424 Canadian hockey players were not allowed to play). Laughable.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Man, 3 minutes in and vasiliev just manhandles our guy down to the ice and no call, then they go down the ice and score. But we can't breath on anyone and we get called.

Ah, the "world championships" in the 70's and 80's...........it was quite the experience, maddening. Tons of home cooking with the refs at that thing in those times. I am glad to see most of that obvious ****ing us over stuff is mostly gone today, they finally realized it couldn't go on or Canada would eventually say **** it and not bother sending teams anymore and they could not afford to lose Canadian participation because they were and are too big a draw. We used to not even be allowed to deliver a clean legal check at this thing or we would get a penalty, yesterdays gone, thank God!!

Also, that is a put together team a week or so before the games and not Canadas A whatsoever,it is a good team with some of canadas best talent but certainly not all it's best and this is a well oiled Soviet team with massive preparation time as a team and it is their A team.

I am not saying russia should not enjoy their gold at this olympics, but those past world championships being used as any sort of proof of winning best on best tournaments is laughable, cmon...........you can do better then that.

Use competitions where you actually did beat the best of the N.H.L..........like the Canada Cup in 1981 or challenge series. These old world championships arent any more proof of them winning best on bests then this olympics is.

Having said that, thanks for uploading this, what a blast from the past, it was fun watching this!!

Hehe, yes, yes, I know, officiating should be the way it was at CC 87.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Hockey News publishing some bullshit about how the Germany win over OAR would have been bigger than Miracle on Ice. SMH.

If they had won it wouldn't have even been top 3 greatest all time - 1960 USA was the first "Miracle on Ice", and another insane run to Gold I remember was 1998 Czechs (when basically Hasek won the tournament all by himself and with a little help from Jagr). Though I know I'm forgetting even more astonishing runs to Gold?....

TomatoJos

Jan 5, 2018
There have been 5 Canada Cups, and 3 World Cups of Hockey. I give credit to the Soviets for winning in 1981. 37 years later, and they have not won a best on best tournament, and now the Russian media and posters are calling themselves the best hockey nation for winning a Gold Medal in a Spengler Cup level tournament, in this year's Olympics (where 424 Canadian hockey players were not allowed to play). Laughable.

In 1981, 1984 and 1987 the Soviets were as good as Canada.

I haven't read anything about the Russians calling themselves the best hockey nation after winning gold at the Olympics last week. Can you share any links?

TomatoJos

Jan 5, 2018
Hockey News publishing some bull**** about how the Germany win over OAR would have been bigger than Miracle on Ice. SMH.

If they had won it wouldn't have even been top 3 greatest all time - 1960 USA was the first "Miracle on Ice", and another insane run to Gold I remember was 1998 Czechs (when basically Hasek won the tournament all by himself and with a little help from Jagr). Though I know I'm forgetting even more astonishing runs to Gold?....

Come on, Czechs were no miracle in 1998. They had the world's best forward at the red hot super goalie. Add a bunch of solid defencemen and decent forward lines and you have a perfect team for a short tournament.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Come on, Czechs were no miracle in 1998. They had the world's best forward at the red hot super goalie. Add a bunch of solid defencemen and decent forward lines and you have a perfect team for a short tournament.

They had never won a Gold medal before...much less as a nation that was for the first or second Olympics playing as half its previous size. Not to mention have you seen the rosters from Russia, Canada and USA from that Olympics?

I was 18 years old back then so I remember those games and the Czech win was in fact a massive win/upset. Yes, as I pointed out, Hasek stood on his head (he was at the time best goalie in the game) but that is beside the fact Czechoslovakia was cut in half playing as the Czechs and even playing with an entire other country (Slovakia) most previous Olympics they still had never won Gold.

I think my statement about that win is correct - easily one of the great Gold runs of all time.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

In order to qualify as a best on best, there has to be a level playing field for competitive balance. That eliminates the Canada Cup, which was a privately-owned property of the NHLPA (Eagleson), who banned European refs from the playoff rounds. The only certifiable best on best was the 1972 series, and the next closest is the Olympic Games, which deserve an asterisk because, in the NHL era, Canadian referees were allowed to work Canada games. Try that in the FIFA World Cup sometime, and see the reaction.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
In order to qualify as a best on best, there has to be a level playing field for competitive balance. That eliminates the Canada Cup, which was a privately-owned property of the NHLPA (Eagleson), who banned European refs from the playoff rounds. The only certifiable best on best was the 1972 series, and the next closest is the Olympic Games, which deserve an asterisk because, in the NHL era, Canadian referees were allowed to work Canada games. Try that in the FIFA World Cup sometime, and see the reaction.

Are you saying Canada winning in sochi should have an asterick bedside it becasuse the gold medal game was reffed by Canadian refs?

They beat the best teams in the world and did it on an ice size they rarely play on and did it in Russias home games to boot!!

And they were a dominant team in doing it. There is no asterick and you know it......its just sour grapes on your part/

Russias win in the 2018 olympics has an asterick on it and it always will as it should be, they won a tournament playing against inferior c-d level competition, it was the only way they could win it!!

Your gold this year means nothing and it never will. It was a best of the rest tournament and Russia by virtue of having the advantage to have better talant available to them won it..........and they barely were able to even do that.

It's basically worthless and every hockey fan knows it.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Russias win in the 2018 olympics has an asterick on it and it always will as it should be, they won a tournament playing against inferior c-d level competition, it was the only way they could win it!!

Your gold this year means nothing and it never will. It was a best of the rest tournament and Russia by virtue of having the advantage to have better talant available to them won it..........and they barely were able to even do that.

Were Russians allowed to dress NHL players and other countries were not?
If not, your post means nothing.

Reactions: BMann and Vladnyc

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Were Russians allowed to dress NHL players and other countries were not?
If not, your post means nothing.

So what? Russia won a heavily watered down d olympics mens hockey tournament because of no NHL players. It is not like hockey fans aren't aware of that.

And they barely beata team that never would have even been in the final or anywhere close to it had NHL players been there, that tells you all you need to know about the mens hockey at this olympics.
The gold means nothing this year without the NHL players, it will always have an asterik with hockey fans, as it should.

Thats just the truth , I know you don't like it but fans do know it.

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
The butthurt is real.

Canada produces a HUGE amount of hockey players and somehow they didn't have anyone left over for the Olympics?

Again and again the north american posters here have to attack the accomplishments of other nations to make up for their inferiority complex. I guess a few recent Olympics golds never got you guys over the trauma of getting destroyed year after year by the USSR teams of the 70s and 80s. Or the whopping the NHL teams got from Soviet Clubs like CSKA and Dynamo in the Summit Series.

It is no one's fault other than western hockey fans that the NHL didn't allow their player to this Olympics. So enjoy your bronze and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->