GDT: Gold Medal Game - February 25 - Russia vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
To be honest, I think the best overall team of this tounament won it. So congratulations to them. But man, Germany was so close that I almost feel gutted about the silver medal - who'd thought this possible beforehand.

To all of you feeling offended by the german team celebrating after they won against your E-, F-, G-, Y- Z- or whatever-team. You are the very definition of "being salty". The boys accomplished a silver medal - the best ever for a german team - that moment. I really couldn't care less for what you think how justified or impotant this was

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Congrats to Germany (which is a very good Team, I got sick of hearing how "shocking" it was every time they scored, they deserved Silver and came very close to a well deserved Gold) and to OAR, also very well deserved and what a comeback late. It was a great game and will be remembered.
No shame in Canada winning Bronze either behind these two Team's, the best in the World that showed up ready and willing to play.

Also congrats to Pavel Datsyuk, newest member of the triple Gold Club.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well done by the Germans. With the lack of appeal the tournament had, the Germans put together a story that watchers were hoping they’d get. A shame it didn’t end with a gold medal but hopefully it can be a catalyst to get there someday.

Reactions: Frannel and Bigod

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Why did our defense suck?
It's an old Soviet/Russian tradition :) Znarok can't teach D to play D, that's our hockey school task - he can take the best and hope they will perform well.

Why did our goalie suck?
In fact he didn't. He let in one bad goal. It happends.

Why couldn't our forwards, but one line, score to save their lives?
This game it was one line, another games it was others. Mozyakin was taken to score, but he was so bad, he was sat down and thanks God for it.
Greigorenko is not a grinder either, but would you change Barabanov and Telegin for another player like Grig?
I don't think Znarok is a good coach, but c'mon. Whom would you like to have instead of whom?
Once again - I don't like Znarok and I don't like the way our hockey moves, but it's much more complicated thing, than just our current roster and coach decisions.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If Finland had won the olympic gold we would see pictures of Finns on their underwear at the marketplace. Probably, even if it is -20c. So congrats Russia, NHL players or not, it is still an olympic gold which can be won once in 4 years.

Reactions: BMann

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I wish I watched this game. Just reading through this thread I could feel the emotions... Such a letdown for Germany, they were so close... but this is hockey.

Wondering if anything will change for Beijing 2022, the NHL has tried before to reach China (so far with little success to be honest), it would be a huge chance to showcase itself in the biggest market in the world.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Congrats to the Russians!

Also, congrats to Germany for an amazing run.

If Bettman and his cronies continue to play hardball, here's to another crazy hockey finals in four years.

Reactions: Vladnyc

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
They were never there for skill.. Znarok had a clear strategy of Balancing the team, so players like Kovy can focus on creativity and let the other cover them up. Hence Kovy Andronov and Telegin line.

Znarok managed to have more balance in his team than Bill, and Bykov. But to be fair, with a talented layer of youngsters coming through Znarok had a lot more to work with than Bill 4 years ago.
Are you seriously saying that 2018 Russia is more talented than 2014 Russia? :help:o_O:laugh:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Datsyuk had a textbook performance in this game. He explained why centers are the most influential players on the rink.
He deserved the membership.
You don't understand what's going on on the rink then. He won almost all puck-battles, stole tons of pucks, won a lot of face-offs, was almost every time in the right place, was dangerous every time with the puck and did a huge job with o-zone forchecking. All of this despite being... what, 39? Just a great player.
Except Germany's go-ahead goal was entirely on Datsyuk. I've never seen him make the worse play than this.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
It was a great run but I'm not so forgiving yet. That game was in the pocket.
I was angry at first, too. But come on. I made my peace fast. What a run. Germany beat Sweden Canada and the red machine was on the verge of going under. You can't have it all.

urgen

Feb 25, 2018

translation of the song above is ambiguous
First is "How it was easy!" (it was not) in the same time it turns out and could be translated as "How it turns to become cool eventually"

the song itself

I LOVE THE TEAM )) BOTH, even three (band included)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladnyc

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Had no interest in these Olympics, hockey wise, even though I'm a hocket nut.

Congrats to Russia and perhaps even more so to Germany.

Sweden was an embarrassment.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Now let me preface this by saying that I went to bed instead of watching this (and I'm glad I did because if I had stayed up for this and with the outcome it had, I probably would have been more upset than I should be).

But all in all this is a fair outcome. Germany has nothing to feel sorry for or regret here. It's hockey that mistakes happen, it's hockey that the bounces sometimes go your way and sometimes they don't. Germany - one has to concede- got a lot of good bounces vs Sweden and Canada without which they may have never gotten this far. Russia probably were the most formidable opponent in this competition and in the end they also got a few bounces, which was enough to help them over the finishing line given their superior quality across the roster.

A lot of things had to come together for this German team to get this far, and I don't think I am being outlandish when I say that Germany won't win another medal in hockey for 50 years. The fact it's silver, not gold is not a huge deal in the scheme of things. It's like one of those things where you feel gold may have been almost too much given the circumstances.

Also congrats to Russia. I take a measure of happiness from the fact that great players like Datsyuk and Kovalchuk got a gold medal here. It also makes me laugh at how unhappy some of the warmongers who seek a new age of confrontation between Russia and the West are about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad