GDT: Gold Medal Game - February 25 - Russia vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Everyone crowing about Datsyuk joining the triple gold club...I mean, I don't put much stock in this medal and the WC medals because they aren't close to best-on-best.

I am sure Pavel will really care about your opinion or in years to come when he becomes a Hall Of Famer and his jersey is raised to the rafters at the Little Ceasars Arena. It's quite sad to see supposed grown ups try and belittle anything Russian hockey has done because it is perceived to be a threat to Canadian hockey. It's our game mentality. No Kiwi I've ever met bangs on about how NZ are the best in rugby union all the time and it is their game.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
So the OAR wins only two gold medals, but they turned out to be somewhat unpopular wins (hockey, Zagitova).

Most of us were rooting for Germany and the OAR skater many wanted to see win gold (Evgenia Medvedeva) alas didn’t.

Unpopular for you maybe. Alina has a huge fan club all around the world and hopefully will continue to excel and push herself further.

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
ff86307a-cad6-4b26-bf84-330c32168cad_1.ab281525e3a49e74e5ad80f76efd6e46.jpeg
wins it.

The least surprising poster to see in this thread. Hugely original as usual.

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
I have to say that as a life long Russian hockey fan, this whole thing has been surreal for me. It has been a roller coaster. From seeing the USSR teams dominate when i was a kid, to the pitfalls of the post soviet period, and then to this wild tourney. I am not sure what to say.

First, I would like to congratulate Germany. You guys had an AMAZING tourney and this Olympics should go down as a major accomplishment for your country. You guys already won before you stepped on the ice today and then when you finally did, you really gave Russia a run for its money. You have a great coach and a players with skill, intelligence and great heart. This will not be the last medal you win in hockey.

To those asking if this means anything to Russian hockey fans. Yes, it means a lot. Especially in this political climate and with what our athletes had to endure during these Olympics. I have to say that our athletes who did show up, despite the attempts to humiliate them, showed the kind of resolve and toughness that we haven't seen from our athletes since the Soviet days. Hockey wise, this did not mean as much to me as the win in 2008, because at that point we hadn't won ANYTHING in 15 years, but this was big none the less.

As far as the team goes, I hope this will be the last I ever see of Mozyakin and Koshechekin in a team Russia jersey. They were horrible and we won in-spite of them. I also never want to see Znarok coach another Russian team again. His mismanagement of the goaltenders, inability to motivate and calm his players, and stubbornness, make him a horrible coach. He is another person we won in-spite of.

Negative things aside, I am not surprised that it was our young guys who stepped up during such a tough point. They are too young to remember that we are supposed to choke at all the big moments and have never been a part of the teams that had collapsed and wilted during key moments in the last 20 years. This gives me hope.

Another pleasant issue that this tourney has brought out is how much the KHL has improved Russian hockey in the last 10 years. Yes the KHL has its many problems, but if this same situation of NHLers not being allowed to got to the Olympics happened 15 years ago and had we have to send a team made up of players from the Russia Superleague, would people still talk about our team as the favorite? Would we have even made it to the gold medal game? Would we have the likes of Datsyuk or Gusev on our team?

Today we took one more step away from the darkness of the 90s. I will never forget our players and fans singing the Russian anthem over that IOC tune.

Last edited:

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I am sure Pavel will really care about your opinion or in years to come when he becomes a Hall Of Famer and his jersey is raised to the rafters at the Little Ceasars Arena. It's quite sad to see supposed grown ups try and belittle anything Russian hockey has done because it is perceived to be a threat to Canadian hockey. It's our game mentality. No Kiwi I've ever met bangs on about how NZ are the best in rugby union all the time and it is their game.

I'm sure that distinction doesn't matter much to Pavel or any of the others on that team. The value of winning was likely unchanged for anyone who actually played. But in terms of determining the true strength of each country relative to each other this tournament was meaningless. For me the olympics is not just about winning the gold, it's just as much about being regarded as having the best players in the world.

That said good for Russia, no reason why they shouldn't celebrate winning. I don't know if I'm in the minority(for a Canadian) but it doesn't bother me one bit that they won this tournament. This was expected, they did iced the best team there.

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
Congrats rush-b, you let Germany do all the heavy lifting and NHL get you that gold, pathetic celebrations from pathetic people in a tournament that meant nothing. Congrats paddles enjoy your national anthem... oh wait, haha you can’t. Pass the syringes.
I get that the hate towards Russia is well fed these days and all these doping stuff will haunt us for ages, but have to say it here - a friend of mine who played bandy in Sweden for several years was shocked by the scale steroids are used by general public there. To his impression steroids are used in Sweden at least 10 times more than what he has seen in Russia. Lots of gym guys and amateur bandy players are doped according to his opinion - still top athletes from Sweden (and other western countries) comes out clean by WADA. How could it be?)

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I didn't care to get up this morning because I thought Russia would cruise to an easy victory. I'm glad I was sleeping though because when the Germans scored the go ahead goal I would have probably killed somebody, and then the Germans went on the PP with 2 minutes left...a perfect setting for a heart attack.

I feel relieved but not particularly happy. I watched Colorado vs Edmonton the other day, 2 teams I don't care about, and enjoyed it a lot more than any of this year's Olympic hockey. Without the NHL it's not the same. From a professional point of view this victory means absolutely nothing.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Datsyuk had a textbook performance in this game. He explained why centers are the most influential players on the rink.
He deserved the membership.

I agree here, he was excellent, especially in taking away the puck and creating chances out of seemingly innocent situations.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Haters still mad?? We are Olympic Champions :clap::clap::clap:

Sports is all about emotions, and a 4-3 OT is better than 5-0 where in the middle of the 2nd it's over.
German gave everything.
With their 3rd goal, and even more after the Kalinin's penalty, I thought it was over, but young guys saved us and give us great emotions.

Kaprizov and Gusev 4 points nights. 2 heroes :bow:
:bow:

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
Haters still mad?? We are Olympic Champions :clap::clap::clap:

Sports is all about emotions, and a 4-3 OT is better than 5-0 where in the middle of the 2nd it's over.
German gave everything.
With their 3rd goal, and even more after the Kalinin's penalty, I thought it was over, but young guys saved us and give us great emotions.

Kaprizov and Gusev 4 points nights. 2 heroes :bow:
:bow:

Americans and Canadian are so salty all over the internet right now. Embarrassing.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Americans, Canadians or anybody else' saltieness means nothing, who cares what shit they think or say about us. What is important, is Russian hockey, and seeing, how this moron Znaroks says, he's proved everything to anybody, and how FHR already wants him to coach our 2022 team, makes me really sad.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Americans, Canadians or anybody else' saltieness means nothing, who cares what **** they think or say about us. What is important, is Russian hockey, and seeing, how this moron Znaroks says, he's proved everything to anybody, and how FHR already wants him to coach our 2022 team, makes me really sad.
No, he did not say it. He said, he replied to all questions of journalists by winnig Olympic gold. And there is a reason why he said it. I hope you know why.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No, he did not say it. He said, he replied to all questions of journalists by winnig Olympic gold. And there is a reason why he said it. I hope you know why.

Yeah, sorry, I was a little bit incorrect. But I doubt he was correct as well. Because there were a lot of question about the team's building before the final. And the only question this final answers, is that Gusev and Kaprizov are really amazing players.

Why did our defense suck? Why did our goalie suck? Why couldn't our forwards, but one line, score to save their lives? Did this final along with Znaroks answer to all these question? I very doubt it.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Cingrats to the Russian team. I am proud of our German team. Great run with a bad ending. But it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Bigod

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, sorry, I was a little bit incorrect. But I doubt he was correct as well. Because there were a lot of question about the team's building before the final. And the only question this final answers, is that Gusev and Kaprizov are really amazing players.

Why did our defense suck? Why did our goalie suck? Why couldn't our forwards, but one line, score to save their lives? Did this final along with Znaroks answer to all these question? I very doubt it.
He said it for a reason. People who have followed the KHL & this Games know answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->