GDT: Gold Medal Game - February 25 - Russia vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It will be a great game if Germany gets the first goal(s) again.

Hopefully the Walrus is sad after the game too.

FWqiZjx.jpg

Reactions: Firsov99

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Go Team Russia! :)
We need the Gold boys, show a good game, play your style of hockey and everything will go well.
Tol'ko zoloto, tol'ko pobeda! (Only Gold, only victory!)

Last edited:

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
Russia - yes. USSR - no.

It is probably my lack of knowledge, but best on best, I think of the 72 Summit Series and the 87 Canada Cup.
We won both these two, but I don't think I'd say we dominated them. Were there many other best on best tournament that the USSR won? I know there were a few USSR vs NHL teams, but I wouldn't call that best on best. Not sure if I would all a NHL allstars vs USSR best on best, being it is more of an exhibition than anything.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
It is probably my lack of knowledge, but best on best, I think of the 72 Summit Series and the 87 Canada Cup.
We won both these two, but I don't think I'd say we dominated them. Were there many other best on best tournament that the USSR won? I know there were a few USSR vs NHL teams, but I wouldn't call that best on best. Not sure if I would all a NHL allstars vs USSR best on best, being it is more of an exhibition than anything.

In my opinion, there were four tournaments where USSR and Canada clashed in full strength: the Summit Series 72, Canada Cups 1981, 1984, and 1987. Canada won 3 of the four competitions. But three of the four tournaments were held in Canada, therefore the Canadians had advantages (home field, NHL sized rinks, NHL rules and refs). Moreover, I still think that the Bobby Clarke's intentional injury of Valery Kharlamov in 1972 played the decisive role in Canada's victory.

I think that USSR and Canada in the 70s and 80s were pretty much even. I have no idea how people could claim that Canada dominated USSR. Canada-Russia though is a different story.

Last edited:

Phillybean

Aug 2, 2008
Kelowna
In my opinion, there were four tournaments where USSR and Canada clashed in full strength: the Summit Series 72, Canada Cups 1981, 1984, and 1987. Canada won 3 of the four competitions. But three of the four tournaments were held in Canada, therefore the Canadians had advantages (home field, NHL sized rinks, NHL rules and refs). Moreover, I still think that the Bobby Clarke's intentional injury of Valery Kharlamov in 1972 played the decisive role in Canada's victory.

I think that USSR and Canada in the 70s and 80s were pretty much even. I have no idea how people could claim that Canada dominated USSR. Canada-Russia though is a different story.

I'd agree with both the Bobby Clarke play being intentional and playing a huge role in Canada's win. I'd also say they were both pretty much equal.

Reactions: Firsov99

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Germany winning gold and the injection of money that comes with it could make a whole generation play hockey and see young kids develop at a higher level more often leading to more draisaitls out and about. Would be great for the game.

Russia winning would be cool, but would have been awesome to see ovechkin there because I know how much he loves his country. Proud of his country, the world saviour.

No predictions, just would love to see a great competitive game.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I see what you've been doing. Your negative posts in Germany games have been working. Let's see if it works one last time.
Oh, I meant should be a cakealk for the Germans. It's for good luck. I did it before the Canada game, too.
I was critical of them not getting any goals in the first couple of games. And who can blame me? They were completely snakebitten.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Oh, I meant should be a cakealk for the Germans. It's for good luck. I did it before the Canada game, too.
I was critical of them not getting any goals in the first couple of games. And who can blame me? They were completely snakebitten.
I know lol it's working, they seem composed even when losing the lead against Sweden and when Canada was trying to tie it. If it works today it'd be amazing for German hockey for sure.

Reactions: Eisen

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It would be amazing if this gave a big boost to hockey in Germany, much like 1980 did for the USA. Can't hurt, to be on the stage for everyone to see.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
My good friends from Germany should understand that Russia losing the Gold medal game to Germany in Olympic hockey could be compared to Germany losing the Soccer World Cup final to Russia. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN :)

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
My good friends from Germany should understand that Russia losing the Gold medal game to Germany in Olympic hockey could be compared to Germany losing the Soccer World Cup final to Russia. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN :)
Just like Greece/Portugal in the 2004 and 2016 euros resepectively. Anything could happen, that's why we love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->