GDT: Gold Medal Game - February 25 - Russia vs Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

kary

May 12, 2016
But Germany beat Sweden who beat Finland who beat Norway who beat Slovenia who beat USA who beat Slovakia who beat Russia so Germany beats Russia by 7 degrees of victory and that can't be argued IMO
this. :D
seriously tho, go germany! I want to see the riots in russia. Also if Russia loses they will end up with only one gold, so Czech rep will beat them in gold medal count at least (god bless Ledecka).

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If Russia wins that would tie Canada with 9 Olympic Gold so that's a big prize there as well! I've changed my earlier pick and I'm expecting a much closer game probably something like 4-2 Russia.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Russia never wins anything easily. This will likely be a hard fought game. But I am guessing Russia wins in overtime or shootout.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Russia wins that would tie Canada with 9 Olympic Gold so that's a big prize there as well! I've changed my earlier pick and I'm expecting a much closer game probably something like 4-2 Russia.

I didn’t even know we were ahead.

I guess we piled some up early on.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I had no hopes Germany would beat Sweden and Canada, don't feel any different about this one. Still hope the boys come out flying and will battle for every puck 'til the buzzer! Feels unreal we have a chance to play for Olympic gold against "The Magic man" & Kovy!

Auf geht's Deutschland! :hockey:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I had no hopes Germany would beat Sweden and Canada, don't feel any different about this one. Still hope the boys come out flying and will battle for every puck 'til the buzzer! Feels unreal we have a chance to play for Olympic gold against "The Magic man" & Kovy!

Auf geht's Deutschland! :hockey:

I think most of the hockey world is pulling for Germany.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
They have dominated Russia but not USSR not even close. Even with all those games in Canada with their biased referees and crowds the only time they lost were one goal games and when they won it was 7-3 6-0 8-1 and so on...Do you know for instance that at the 1976 CANADA Cup the Soviets sent a B team? Do you know the overall record of the Super Series? Do you consider 1972 best on best without the Czechs World Champions without Bobby Orr without Bobby Hull without Tarasov without Firsov without Kharlamov for the final two games and a half? How is that best on best???? Best on best is 2002 2005 2006 2010 2014 you could say but now erveryone mostly plays the same and it's not very interesting. Back when The Soviets played the game at the highest level possible there was no real best on best on neutral ice or rotating hosts. Why do you think 1980 is the Miracle On Ice the biggest upset in the history of sports or among them? The year before USSR beat Canada 6-0 and the year after USSR beat Canada 8-1...

And I'll say it once again best on best is a myth of revisionist history. It never was back then for sure, and it was never under fair regulations. That would be like Germany bragging about winning World Cups that would have hypothetically being held all the time in Germany with their referees in soccer, would anyone with intelligence say that this is a good way to say that they might have been better than Brazil Argentina Italy. Please learn history there's lots of good books out there.

The Red Machine Lawrence Martin
The Greatest Game Todd Denault

Those are books written by Canadians and they tell the history with a very fair objective view...You will learn A LOT about the great history and not so great history of the game and also the strength and weaknesses of both.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMann

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Actually many so-called World Championships and past Olympics are about the most crooked events in hockey history.

And yes I know all about 1972 and 1976 and all the exhibition games between club teams from both countries.

The Soviet Union, Russia whatever has only won one best on best and that isn't revisionist history. Cool your jets, adding number 9 really isn't really a bigger deal than anything from 1956 to 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->