GDT: Gold Medal Game • Canada 3, Russia 5 • Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
have there been any "problems" at the Can-Swe game or why is this show here running outta control? (honest question, didn`t follow the tourney closely)

Canadians have been kicked in the a** for their arrogance often enough by karma and the Canadians on the last few sites were pretty friendly and all gratulated the russians so I do not really understand where all this Canada-hate comes from

Well in the last few WJC Swedish teams have gone out of their way to make comments about how Canada gets favoured and such.

It's not too hard to see where the Canada hate comes from. When Canada is winning this board is flooded by jerks who know nothing about hockey claiming Canada is the best and that it's pointless to compare Canada to any other team because, quite simply, "Canada has no equal".
Those people really make me ashamed but it comes with the territory of being really good at hockey and having the media constantly pound the notion into our heads every day.

And then when Canada loses those same people vanish. That's when the true fans stay and we have to deal with the fallout of the jerks' actions.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
Well in the last few WJC Swedish teams have gone out of their way to make comments about how Canada gets favoured and such.

It's not too hard to see where the Canada hate comes from. When Canada is winning this board is flooded by jerks who know nothing about hockey claiming Canada is the best and that it's pointless to compare Canada to any other team because, quite simply, "Canada has no equal".
Those people really make me ashamed but it comes with the territory of being really good at hockey and having the media constantly pound the notion into our heads every day.

And then when Canada loses those same people vanish. That's when the true fans stay and we have to deal with the fallout of the jerks' actions.

So much truth to that, Amen

Snauen*

Amen to that too, I knew there wouldn't be long before we would have a reperesentant of the Church of Canada in this thread to comfort the masses, amen brotha

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Russia reminds me of the speed skater Steven Bradbury who came back again and again, from odds like one in a million.

Btw, this means that Canada hasn't won the gold in the WJC in two years. Thing is; they'll still see themselves as the best by a country mile, when the WJC in 2012 comes around.:) I guarantee that the usual "Canada could ice three teams as good or better than any other nation"-thread will pop up once again.

It doesn't matter if they win, they're still the best. And if another team beats them it's beacause they choked, not cause the other team was better. And if that fails, they start talking about the fact that they have a lot of players in the NHL that could've been on the team. This pretty much means that it simply isn't possible to beat Canada, the real Canada always wins:nod:

And when you claim that anoher team created more offence than Canada did (proved through statistics) or congratulate a team that beat them, you are disrespectful and classless - they did "invent" the sport of hockey, and should get everyone's respect regardless how they themselves act. And I'm not talking about all the fans, I guess the jerks stand out more on a forum like these.

Snauen*

My reply was ment to the post above yours. I 100% agree whit you too though it is always a good thing if a priest can join a thread, like this and preach a little to the moaning Canadians after their religiously devestating loss to the Russians.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Also like the Canadian player taking a slapper at the Russians celebrating the win after the horn.
I want to Support the other team from NA but thing like this sure make it hard.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

It is very annoying, agreed, and I truly feel your ostensibility. These Canadian "fans" that come in storming is a good indicator of the general climate, not only from fans, but from journalists, players, coaches, staff, you name it. It has been going on for decades.

It's this kind of behaviour that has met Swedes for decades, that has created this cold war of disrespect ("Chicken Swedes" is just an example). The key here is the cultural phenomenon called "Jante Law". If especially a winner behaves in an obnoxious manner, especially Swedes will find this behaviour truly intolerable and deeply offending. Official correspondence hasn't given anything, where Swedish representatives have pointed this out. But really, what can Canadian representatives do, but sigh?

This is where we are today. Hockey Swedes are on an individual level disrespecting Hockey Canadians, because Hockey Swedes are sick and tired of a behaviour they find extremely intolerable. Hockey Canadians are of course deeply offended that they find disrespect instead of the respect they expect, while Hockey Swedes have pretty much agreed to give none, in a matter that has very little to do with actual sporting results.

The sensible fans and worshippers of hockey are caught in the crossfire. Hockey Canada needs to come back to earth and Hockey Sweden needs to bury the hatchet. Both need to happen, because neither side will give the other side respect again before it happens. The chances for this happening are slim to none.

It is ridiculous really and a situation that shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
This pretty much means that it simply isn't possible to beat Canada, the real Canada always wins:nod:

Winners of true best-on-best competitions over the past 40 years:

1972 Summit Series: CANADA
1976 Canada Cup: CANADA
1981 Canada Cup: SOVIET UNION
1984 Canada Cup: CANADA
1987 Canada Cup: CANADA
1991 Canada Cup: CANADA
1996 World Cup: UNITED STATES
1998 Olympics: CZECH REPUBLIC
2002 Olympics: CANADA
2004 World Cup: CANADA
2006 Olympics: SWEDEN
2010 Olympics: CANADA

Twelve times the hockey powers have met in best-on-best competitions and Canada has won eight of them, while no other country has won more than once.

Those are the facts.

'nuff said.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Is this the biggest collapse in canadian hockey history?

Not just WJC but all of international play.

If not, name another that is worse.

Snauen*

It is very annoying, agreed, and I truly feel your ostensibility. These Canadian "fans" that come in storming is a good indicator of the general climate, not only from fans, but from journalists, players, coaches, staff, you name it. It has been going on for decades.

It's this kind of behaviour that has met Swedes for decades, that has created this cold war of disrespect ("Chicken Swedes" is just an example). The key here is the cultural phenomenon called "Jante Law". If especially a winner behaves in an obnoxious manner, especially Swedes will find this behaviour truly intolerable and deeply offending. Official correspondence hasn't given anything, where Swedish representatives have pointed this out. But really, what can Canadian representatives do, but sigh?

This is where we are today. Hockey Swedes are on an individual level disrespecting Hockey Canadians, because Hockey Swedes are sick and tired of a behaviour they find extremely intolerable. Hockey Canadians are of course deeply offended that they find disrespect instead of the respect they expect, while Hockey Swedes have pretty much agreed to give none, in a matter that has very little to do with actual sporting results.

The sensible fans and worshippers of hockey are caught in the crossfire. Hockey Canada needs to come back to earth and Hockey Sweden needs to bury the hatchet. Both need to happen, because neither side will give the other side respect again before it happens. The chances for this happening are slim to none.

It is ridiculous really and a situation that shouldn't be happening.
Insightfull post from you, You are wrong about the 'Jante Law' though. The Jante Law is about envy and frightenedness of things out of the ordinary. Call me harsh, yet, To me, many Canadian fans in general seem like a 'regular John' type of people, whit narrow thinking and smallish minds. The Jante Law likes that kind of people.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Insightfull post from you, You are wrong about the 'Jante Law' though. The Jante Law is about envy and frightenedness of things out of the ordinary. Call me harsh, yet, To me, many Canadian fans in general seem like a 'regular John' type of people, whit narrow thinking and smallish minds. The Jante Law likes that kind of people.
I think the Jante Law works in both ways. While it punishes individuality a little bit too much, it also speaks in favour of having humility and striving towards Lagom. This, I don't see as a negative thing, but sensible approaches. A bit more rationality in the mix and we would be having something here.

And trying to hold a collective together, is not a dumb thing, it's only dumb in such a corrupt culture of conflict, greed, corruption and competition as ours (speaking of the big picture here). And seriously, what good has ever come out of boasting?

You are correct though that the general Canadian is a "regular John". That's why Swedes and Canadians actually find eachother very reasonable and likable, which is why this bickering about hockey is rather silly, but understandable.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

If this site was an actual representation of the people of that Country I'd agree with you.

I'd venture to say 95% of the irritating fans that you are referring to are under 21 years of age, and it may not be a Nationality thing, but an age thing.

Just trying not to be a small minded narrow thinker.:)

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
Is this the biggest collapse in canadian hockey history?

Not just WJC but all of international play.

If not, name another that is worse.

The 7-3 drubbing by the Soviets in game 1 of the Summit Series after taking a 2-0 lead.

The 8-1 drubbing by the Soviets in the 1981 Canada Cup after thumping them 7-3 in the round-robin. The Soviets scored 5 unanswered in the third of that one too, including a shortie.

Much bigger games than this junior tilt.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After showing such determination to come from behind in the quarters and in the semis as well as in the final against Canada, I don't think that there is any question that the most deserving team won the tournament. I don't envy the Russian players their headaches and hangovers this morning, but they sure earned the right to have them. One for the ages, we just happened to be on the wrong end of it this time around.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California

Twelve times the hockey powers have met in best-on-best competitions and Canada has won eight of them, while no other country has won more than once.

Those are the facts.

'nuff said.

The facts are this: only Canadians know, and care, about those facts. The rest of the world has actual stuff going on.

Snauen*

I think the Jante Law works in both ways. While it punishes individuality a little bit too much, it also speaks in favour of having humility and striving towards Lagom. This, I don't see as a negative thing, but sensible approaches. A bit more rationality in the mix and we would be having something here.

And trying to hold a collective together, is not a dumb thing, it's only dumb in such a corrupt culture of conflict, greed, corruption and competition as ours (speaking of the big picture here). And seriously, what good has ever come out of boasting?

You are correct though that the general Canadian is a "regular John". That's why Swedes and Canadians actually find eachother very reasonable and likable, which is why this bickering about hockey is rather silly, but understandable.
Whatever, Me on the other hand, like people who can think for themselves and have the individuality and courage to recognize when it is time to speak for your rights as a minority, in the hockey community or whereever. You can follow the Jante Law if you want, I don't care.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Those are the facts.

'nuff said.

Hm... And how many times did Canada win outside of... well, Canada? 2 times? I mean how many times did Canada refuse to play vs some of the best teams in the hockey history just because they didn't want to travel too far? And they haven't still decided whether they would come to Sochi or not...

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Hm... And how many times did Canada win outside of... well, Canada? 2 times? I mean how many times did Canada refuse to play vs some of the best teams in the hockey history just because they didn't want to travel too far? And they haven't still decided whether they would come to Sochi or not...

In Canada's defense, I think this has more to do with the NHL "not allowing its employees to leave the business unattended" than Hockey Canada saying "we're too scared to go."

Money is a bugger in that sense.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
He means you had to "win" vicariously through your alignment with Russia, because your own team wasn't good enough to even win a medal. Maybe instead of all the worship of the Russian team and the sign on the dressing room door and all that you guys should just get it over with and join Russia for the next tournament.

That's rich.. The entire nation of Canada cheered for Russia when they played Sweden. Booing swedish players in the OT and SO.:laugh:

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa

Those are the facts.

'nuff said.

Hmm, I wonder where all the hate for obnoxious and "we're better than everyone else" fans comes from? :sarcasm:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
That's what happen when you get cocky and try to go for that big huge hit.

****ing fail.

jeez even Wayne took the time to tell em to play on the line but to not cross it.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Russia reminds me of the speed skater Steven Bradbury who came back again and again, from odds like one in a million.

Btw, this means that Canada hasn't won the gold in the WJC in two years. Thing is; they'll still see themselves as the best by a country mile, when the WJC in 2012 comes around.:) I guarantee that the usual "Canada could ice three teams as good or better than any other nation"-thread will pop up once again.

It doesn't matter if they win, they're still the best. And if another team beats them it's beacause they choked, not cause the other team was better. And if that fails, they start talking about the fact that they have a lot of players in the NHL that could've been on the team. This pretty much means that it simply isn't possible to beat Canada, the real Canada always wins:nod:

And when you claim that anoher team created more offence than Canada did (proved through statistics) or congratulate a team that beat them, you are disrespectful and classless - they did "invent" the sport of hockey, and should get everyone's respect regardless how they themselves act. And I'm not talking about all the fans, I guess the jerks stand out more on a forum like these.

Ironic, Sweden hasn't won a world junior since 1981 and they/the fans have the same feeling. Technically doesn't winning Olympic Gold give us bragging rights for being the best. Except, the generalizing and bitterness was shown more by Sweden. I guess never winning a junior title for such a long time, makes entitlement frustrating. :)

Nice generalizing Canadians, another bitter Swede, just sugar coating.:p:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Jesus, why the **** is there still a pissing match going on between Swedes and Canadians? Both Swedes and Canadians on these boards should stop being dickheads and move on...Grow the **** up for god's sake... the tournament is over.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Whatever, Me on the other hand, like people who can think for themselves and have the individuality and courage to recognize when it is time to speak for your rights as a minority, in the hockey community or whereever. You can follow the Jante Law if you want, I don't care.
The classic imposed ascendencies of individuality. I don't care either what you think I follow and don't follow.

Divide by conquering. Part families, part individuals to be reliant on the government, being fed demoralizing information to fear what's outside. Deprive them of their sense of freedom, take authority away by giving them the "right" to vote on a different monkey with a different tie every 4th year. The sense of responsibility is washed away, given to a corrupt bunch with no aspiring behaviour other than their own welfare.

People can't think for themselves, that's pretty evident through years of demoralization and dehumanization. Regardless of information, people can't come to sensible conclusions, in the act of defending themselves, their families, their community and their nation, regardless of actions, be it war, murder or anything that the individual should really see as deeply wrong, because really, the demoralized individual can't come to sensible conclusions.

You'll never find courage from yourself. Courage comes from the group. Groups, can act on behalf of rational behaviour if united. Individuals seldom do. Let me guess, competition is healthy? A democracy is a government run by the people? All people are equal? Freedom is a right? There comes a time for questioning. You can believe you are strong as an individual as long as you want, but the truth of evolution is on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad